« Panthers may sign free agents before Peppers | Main | Testaverde to start: Does it matter? »

October 25, 2007

Olson's guess: Carr will start Sunday

While sitting around waiting for coach John Fox to pick David or Vinny as his quarterback, we wondered if the players had any better idea of who it would be than we did.

"I don’t know, man," said offensive tackle Jordan Gross. "You guys probably have a better idea than I do. My wife asked me and I said, ‘I don’t know; I’ll tell you Sunday at 1.’ It’s probably a game-time decision again; at least, that’s what we’ll be told. I’m telling you, we don’t hear a whole lot more."

My guess would be Mr. Carr. Fox told a radio show earlier this week that Carr would play, and when asked about it, said that he did NOT say Carr would start. But think about it; do you really expect Fox to platoon at the position?

STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on October 25, 2007 at 07:29 PM | Permalink

Comments

What's with the drama and suspense Fox is trying to create re. which QB he starts? Does it even matter? Indy's D already knows from experience that they can handle Carr, and as much as I like Vinnie, I don't see him scaring them to death either. Basically, to have any chance at all the Panthers' D just need to hope they have a great game and that whichever QB Fox sticks out there gets the ball to Steve Smith early and often. To be honest, though, Fox is just wasting his and the media's time by publicly debating over which QB to start: they have maybe a 10% chance of winning this game regardless.

Posted by: Anna | Oct 25, 2007 8:01:01 PM

You're right, Anna. They've sure "handled" Carr to the tune of a 100+ QB rating and a 6:1 TD:INT ratio over the last three years. As for wasting time, I'm sure John Fox doesn't give a damn about wasting yours or any of the Carolina beat writers'. Being non-committal would seem to waste far less time than explaining in detail how the torque in Vinny's throw or the grip of Carr's gloves make either of them the better start.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 25, 2007 10:18:32 PM

"Look!,AINT NOBODY STUDDIN INDY,Carolina you are PROFESSIONAL PRO PLAYERS,as well as they are,THIS IS PANTHERS TIME!!!,People want to talk all the time about,what Indy gonna do to yall,LOOK!..."AINT NOBODY STUDDIN THEM!!!,Yall got it goin on as well!!!.

Posted by: #1 Fan | Oct 25, 2007 11:32:34 PM

I hope the first 2 people arent panther fans....if so you really shouldnt be. Negativity...if you dont have faith in your own team why even bother? Oh because you see how Indy is playing compared to us? Look at the Buffalo and Dallas game...idc what the scoreboard said at the end...Buffalo man handled Dallas. As for the QB situation, Carr needs to start. If Indy brings presure we need to be able to scramble...if Vinny takes hits...his season can end. Then again I dont like the risk of Carr's back situation still...its kind of 50-50. Whoever plays...it really doesnt matter unless our O-line can protect...recievers catch passes....and the D can keep Indy from moving the ball. My personal prediction is Carolina maybe around 28-25....a close one. As for you people who say your fans yet doubt...eh ....whatever. If you always think were going to lose...dont watch it..

Go Panthers

Posted by: Dustin | Oct 26, 2007 1:43:29 AM

Both QB's will play Sunday, regardless of who starts

Posted by: mattdaddy | Oct 26, 2007 9:15:52 AM

Thank's Dustin, much agreed... except for the part about mobility. These hag reporters got most of the Panther public going in the wrong direction. I think Vinny more than proved he is mobile against the Cards! 50% of the time he was rolling or scrambling... And mattdaddy... hmmmmm. That's an intriuging idea. What exactly would the team gain from doing that though.. more mobility? If the Panthers put Carr in to burn some rubber here and there, the Colt D will snuff it out. It would be like telgraphing your punches in a boxing match---- "look, it's Vinny... pass is coming! Look, it's Carr... handoff or run!" Unless I am off about how they will be utilized, I think that is a very bad idea. Not to mention the Panther offense/team will have a harder time getting into a rythm. BTW... GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Oct 26, 2007 10:05:14 AM

Fox should start Vinny, this is the fan's choice. Richardson wants the fans to be happy and this would do it. Use Carr if Vinny doesn't cut it in first half. Put Carr in the second half to give Vinny a break even if he does well in first half. Right now the Panthers need to do two fold, please fans and win games.

Posted by: Will | Oct 26, 2007 10:09:06 AM

SYRPIS, I'm not saying that I agree with their QB decision, whatever it may be, or that I think playing two qb's is the best or smartest option. I just feel that both qb's will play. Both qb's are a highly vulnerable to an injury and both are highly vulnerable to struggling in this game so I foresee that the qb that starts the game will not finish the game, either due to injury or poor performance.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Oct 26, 2007 12:05:40 PM

Will's sure got it. Professional sports coaches should go with the fans' choice. Chris Weinke would have been a Pro Bowler if the team had just given his chance like the fans wanted to.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 26, 2007 12:09:20 PM

I must have missed something in a game. I surely don't see Carr as a scrambler, unless you consider running 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage, scrambling. He seems to me to be slow of foot and is definitely slow in processing the situation on the ground. Everyone, including me sitting in the nose bleed seats, can see when he is going to throw........he telegraphs every pass, never ever looking at anyone but the intended receiver. Vinny might be slower to scramble, but he sure looked good that last game as the O line protected him. Seemed that he inspired this step up in the line.

Posted by: CJ | Oct 26, 2007 12:14:53 PM

I guess you blew this one.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 26, 2007 12:53:31 PM

hahahahahah WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

VINNY is named starter...

now Panthers have a better shot to win...

GO CATS, our D needs to step up and GIVE em hell vinny, GIVE EM HELL!!!!

Posted by: HAHAHAAH | Oct 26, 2007 1:25:45 PM

Fox picks the "V" man! He will definitely be a crowd pleaser! At least he won't be worrying about how his hair looks or if he'll get mud on his clean uniform. Go Vinny, from one 44 year old man to another! I hope you do even better than two weeks ago.

Posted by: Will | Oct 26, 2007 1:27:10 PM

Yeah Will!!! my thoughts exactly!!

perhaps Vinny can get the Cats a MUCH NEEDED HOME VICTORY against one of the BEST teams in the NFL

i am calling out the Panther DEFENSE to PLEASE STEP IT UP and Whoop some A$$.

I am also calling out Keary Colbert Drew Carter and Whomsoever else... Steve Smith cant win this game by himself. Yall need to Participate.. HOLD ON TO THEM RECEPTIONS.... and Jeff King nice to seeyou are our secon best receiver!!!

and lastly.... will the real Running back please step up... Deangelo, Deshawn.... one of you needs to get 150+ yards this
weekend... the one that does gets the starts for the rest of the year...

it would be awesome to see a victory this sunday./...

GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: Vinny_xFactor | Oct 26, 2007 1:37:55 PM

Go Vinny!

Posted by: bd | Oct 26, 2007 1:39:13 PM

I promise I will catch that fly pattern that I always happen to be open on. I promise.

Posted by: Drew Carter | Oct 26, 2007 3:04:26 PM

And can we PLEASE double team, chip or a at least run at Dwight Freeney to wear him down?? I have a feeling if he gets to puttin that spin move on Gross or Wharton, we might be in trouble. And we also need to get a hat on Bob Sanders....We can do this, man! We really can. Go Vinny/Carr! and LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!!!

Posted by: styles | Oct 26, 2007 3:09:57 PM

Defense is going to have to win this one. But, since we are on the subject, did you all forget that we have a future NFL superstar QB named Matt Moore waiting patiently with a radio reciever hangin on his ear. He could have easily handled the same game plan as grandpa did vs. AZ. We also could have ran more than 5 different plays during that game with Matt. It's all good! I just want them to win. Matt's time will come....I just wish sooner than later!

Posted by: billy | Oct 26, 2007 6:09:34 PM

You got that right, billy. Matt Moore was such an unarguable "superstar" that he wasn't one of the ELEVEN quarterbacks or the TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE players drafted this year. I guess Tyler Thigpen just had better measurables, huh?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 27, 2007 1:54:10 AM