« The Panthers' grades for Sunday ... | Main | Kicking game struggles not limited to returns »

October 29, 2007

QBs still up in the air

Carolina coach John Fox said a few minutes ago that he knows no more about quarterback Vinny Testaverde's strained Achilles' tendon than he did yesterday.

Fox, speaking at his weekly press conference, said he hoped to know more Wednesday. If Testaverde can't go Sunday at Tennessee, the job will fall again to David Carr, who played the second half against Indianapolis after Vinny got hurt and failed to move the team.

Fox said Monday that he believed Carr, in the process of recovering from a badly bruised back, still wasn't 100 percent Sunday.

With precious little available at the position on the street, it will be Carr and Matt Moore Sunday if Testaverde can't play. --STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on October 29, 2007 at 01:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

Whats with that hat Carr was wearing in the post game interviews? What was he thinking he looked like? Credible sure wasn't one of them.
he looked like a total fool...like the model Twiggy from the 1970's...and he thinks this will get him the respect from 300lb lineman and wide recievers like Smith? He looked like a really bad British TV commercial...and btw...did you see how it covered his whole face? No eye contact..Mr Richardson had to be punching holes in the walls of his suite watching that interview
this guy has got to go..

Posted by: bob | Oct 29, 2007 2:05:08 PM

I would like for Matt Moore to have the opportunity to show what he can do. Remember that there were nearly 200 players selected before Tom Brady was finally selected in the 6th round. We need a quarterback for the future. Jake is a good leader but will never be a great quarterback. Carr is neither and Vinnie should rightfully be considered a band-aid solution. I love the panthers but find myself very much frustrated having attended all games this season. I keep finding my cheers replaced by dreams of basketball during nearly every fourth quarter. Yeah, I'm a big Tarheel fan but also pull for the Bobcats. The Heels will be expected to win every time they take the court even though I expect one or two losses. The Bobcats may surprise a few folks and will certainly get some big wins. I'm still a big Panthers fan....just VERY frustrated! Injuries have played their role but the biggest problem seems to be a lack or heart.

Posted by: mo | Oct 29, 2007 2:40:43 PM

How about doing the readers a favor, record the audio of Fox's weekly press conferences and upload it on this website.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Oct 29, 2007 2:41:09 PM

Wow, yeah...Matt Moore, destined for success. Just like Tom Brady, lots of people got drafted ahead of him. Unlike Tom Brady, he didn't actually get DRAFTED!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 29, 2007 3:37:01 PM

Think about it, we need to get rid of Carr at season end. The only time that offense looks like they can beat team is when Jake and Vinny was under center. Also the offense showed a glimpse of how confident the offense is with Moore. (His first pass was 43-yd to Colbert) Every time Carr is under center they just seem impatient with him, they do not trust him at all. I mean "the Super Steve Smith" had 2 "talks" with Carr, already!! That 2 more of those talks with Jake, Vinny, Moore and Weinke combined!! This by the way is too many. Everybody or I at least hope that everybody knows that with Vinny we would have won that game. In addition, the colts knew it too. However, Carr lost the game. Because the defense cannot carry the team, it is the offense. The better the offensive play the better the defense plays.

I believe that fox is a great coach, and we should keep him as long as possible. however, It seem that when the Panthers seem to be on the edge of success the injury bug always get in there way. That is the story for this season as well as last season (offensive line injuries). No matter how good of a coach you are, if your key players are injured at key positions it hard to win games. Just like "Bill the bully" and the Pats. If Brady is injured they are nothing, and If Indy lost Manning they are done. I am a Fox supporter as well as a Panther fan from the beginning. I know that If they can find a consistent qb starter (that does not suck, CARR!!!) well will do fine. All I can say that we do need a better conditioning personal because we get injured so often.

Posted by: MegaBrain21 | Oct 29, 2007 4:15:20 PM

Get rid of CARR......You have the BEST wr in the national league...Carr does not know or throw to SMITH...What a shame...If Testerverti can;t play put in the rookie..

Posted by: donna | Oct 29, 2007 4:31:56 PM

I am in total agreement that Carr needs to go. This man is a total waste of time, money and football. I just don't understand why the Coaching Staff insists on giving him a try when they have seen how the entire team steps it up and shows some life and passion when Matt Moore was in the game. Give Matt a chance NOW!!! Who knows just what this young rookie is capable of and now is the time to find out.
I know how the fans in the stadium reacted when Carr came out onto the field. And I know the Panthers heard that response. I wasn't at the game yesterday because we share the tickets for the games and take turns for each home game. But you could even hear the reaction on the television.
Please John Fox, let your fans voices be heard. Let your TEAM's voices be heard. Bench that friggin' POS Lemon Carr and give our rookie a chance to prove his worth.
There is a group of us that are heading to TN for the Titans/Panthers game. We are excited about the trip, but to be honest, I am not sure I can stomach another full game of David Carr!!!!! And neither can the TEAM!!!

Posted by: Brenda | Oct 29, 2007 4:40:46 PM

Procton you are a moron. The fans were loud but ran out of things to cheer about. You need to get your finger out of your ass and get a clue

Posted by: mark | Oct 29, 2007 5:28:03 PM

No offense No defense No playoffs

Posted by: w a | Oct 29, 2007 6:36:47 PM

How could David Carr possibly get the ball to Steve Smith? We traded Smith and Peppers in the preseason for Curtis Deloatch and a Wade Boggs rookie card!

Posted by: WTF? | Oct 29, 2007 8:35:26 PM

W A, you forgot a couple. No offense, No defense, No playoffs = No fans, No revenue. People don't pay to watch a losing team... and a thousand commercials.

Posted by: Completely Disinterested | Oct 30, 2007 2:50:08 AM

Classy, mark, very classy.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 30, 2007 3:10:29 AM

Today's Panther News. Marty Hurney has been replaced by a young executive Michael Procton the see all know it all from High Point, NC.John Fox has wished Marty good luck and the season is over.

Posted by: mark | Oct 30, 2007 7:26:20 AM

That is good news. Good luck Michael in your new job.

Posted by: steve | Oct 30, 2007 9:30:58 AM

Ditto's, congratulations Michael and good luck on your new job. Here are several suggestions to get the team rolling for next year.

1. Get #2 receiver
2. Retool D LINE
3. Resign GROSS, WHARTON HOOVER
4. Fire Special teams coach
5. Unload KEMO, MORGAN

Good luck.

Posted by: alan | Oct 30, 2007 10:08:53 AM

Congrat's Michael. We need to retool the defense. What is the cap looking like next year?, and will we more aggressive in pursuing free agents next year. Also please Fire Crossman.

Posted by: heather | Oct 30, 2007 10:21:49 AM

bring in Drew Olsen. I know its late in the year but he might help....he beat out Matt Moore in college. the guy can throw the ball and played the position very well at a high level in college. that doesn't always translate to the pro level.....but bring him in for a tryout.....maybe he can get the ball to smith

Posted by: MILFhunter | Oct 30, 2007 10:25:50 AM

Finally fresh air in the front office. Michael let's hold up on resigning PEP until after the season pans out. I agree Crossman needs to go and we need a #2 receiver.

Posted by: ben | Oct 30, 2007 10:34:10 AM

Just for clarity, you folks do realize that the comment that Michael Procton replaced Hurney was sarcasm? Don't want to insult anyone, but some of the responses seem to indicate a belief that Hurney has been replaced.

As to this season, it is my opinion that the Panthers are still divided over Kris Jenkins little stunt of calling out everyone else while saying he was giving his all. Read the comments from the other team leaders. I think there is a rift there that is unreported. When Jenkins appeared hurt Sunday, how many of his teamates looked like they cared? NONE. It just seems like a team divided from my 30,000 foot view. When they have a home game, they all go their separate ways, when on the road they are forced to spend time together. If I were Fox, I would consider putting the team in a hotel Friday night and Saturday night for home games, allowing the players to tune out all the local distractions, hell even take them down to Wofford. I think that when they are in town they drift apart, and it translates to how they play on the field. Just my nickel psychologist view.

Posted by: Willy | Oct 30, 2007 10:38:40 AM

Good move coach FOX. Good luck Micheal lets turn this thing around

Posted by: sam | Oct 30, 2007 10:39:50 AM

I heard the Hurney annoucement at 10:30 on WFNZ

Posted by: steve | Oct 30, 2007 10:51:36 AM

I agree with all of those talking about Matt Moore. I am not going to go in to all of the things that need to happen in the offseason. There are too many to count. Nobody listens to us anyways. Let's say that the Panthers scratch and claw and finish 8-8 or even 9-7. We are still not guaranteed the playoffs. Two things: the Saints are on fire and playing like they did last year. I think they will win the division and secondly, if we win the division, we have NO shot, NO shot at doing anything. Give Matt Moore a shot, we can't play much worse on offense with Carr. This is a Panthers fan who has to move to Chicago and watch them every Sunday on the NFL ticket. I want them to succeed, but this year are going no where. Matt Moore, you should be the starting QB. Good luck!

Posted by: Josh Livingston | Oct 30, 2007 11:42:02 AM

Hey MILF, there is no way Olson beat out Matt at UCLA, have a clue and read on.A little bit of Matt Moore history: All-earth team out of high school. Full ride to UCLA. First and only true freshman to win his first start at UCLA. Wins starting job as a sophomore. Gets hurt and isn't rewarded his starting job back when healthy. Transfers to Oregon State. Has a decent Jr. year. Sr. year rolls around at OSU and he begins to come into his own. Beats USC! Throws 182 passes without an interception, team record. 3rd team all PAC-10 QB behind Booty (USC) and I think, Longshore (CAL). Takes team to Sun Bowl and leads them to victory over Mizzou with two TD passes in the last 4:00. And a 2 point conversion with no time left on the clock. The best finish I have ever seen...live! (I was at that game) Well, best finish of the bowl series until the Fiesta Bowl...damn Boise State! Earns the Sun Bowl MVP with 350+ yards, 4 TD passes and a rushing TD. Team finishes with 9-3 record. Gets snubbed in the draft...why? Nobody knows. Dallas signs him as soon as draft is over, during which four other teams were trying to sign him as well. Including the Panthers! Has an excellent camp and preseason with Dallas. Dallas decides to go with just 2 QB's. Romo and another grandpa...Brad Johnson. (BTW, Matt says Romo is the real deal!) Don't forget, Romo was an undrafted free agent, as well. Dallas hopes Matt will clear waivers. The day after cutting him, Matt shows up to sign practice squad contract and they look at him with tears in their eyes (because they knew they blew it)and tell him the Panthers picked him up off waivers. I believe a smart move by the Panthers.....NOW GIVE THE KID HIS SHOT!!!!!!

Posted by: billy | Oct 30, 2007 12:42:14 PM

Everyone remembers the first completion Moore threw, but not the pass right after it.

Posted by: Mav | Oct 30, 2007 7:08:05 PM

Hey Mav! What's your point? DO you have one? Everybody knows one completion and one incompletion isn't enough to judge the quality of a QB. But the kid certainly deserves a chance. There is a reason he was picked up off waivers from the Cowboys, Fox just needs to pull the trigger.

Posted by: billy | Oct 30, 2007 9:53:43 PM