« Carr was primary target early on | Main | QB excuse doesn't fly ... »

November 25, 2007

Panthers' report card

Here’s the report card from the Panthers' loss to New Orleans:

Quarterbacks: Some folks within the organization have been talking a lot about how hard it is to win without your starting quarterback. As I type this, I’m watching the Cardinals and 49ers. Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner and Tim Rattay have been playing. A lot of points have been put up and somebody’s going to win this game. You can’t say that when David Carr’s on the field. Grade: F

Running backs: Stat of the game? DeShaun Foster, nine carries for minus-5 yards. That’s nearly a -0.6 average. Grade: F

Receivers: At least the Panthers made an effort to get the ball to Steve Smith on occasion. Grade: D

Offensive line: This group plowed the way for 43 yards on the ground. Grade: F

Defensive line: Drew Brees wasn’t sacked. He barely was touched. Grade: F

Linebackers: Jon Beason had another strong game, recording 10 tackles. Grade: D

Defensive backs: Richard Marshall got the start and had 13 tackles. But Marshall and the secondary wore down as Brees threw three touchdown passes in the third quarter. Grade: D-

Special teams: Maybe the only bright spot of the day was the fact the Panthers didn’t use the pooch punt. Grade: D

Coaching: When you’re playing against a bad team in your own stadium, shouldn’t you at least be able to come up with a game plan that will at least keep things close? Grade: F

-- Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on November 25, 2007 at 08:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

MARK THIS DOWN WITH THE DATE AND TIME.

MARTY HURNEY WILL NOT BE BACK WITH THIS ORGANIZATION NEXT YEAR. FOX WILL SURVIVE ANOTHER YEAR BUT THE ROPE WILL BE SHORT. MARK IT DOWN...GUARANTEED.

Posted by: Carl Leazer | Nov 25, 2007 8:24:34 PM

I hope you're right. I'd like to see both of them go. This program needs big changes. We are no doubt the worst team in the NFL right now. Miami would beat us.

Posted by: FireFox | Nov 25, 2007 8:31:20 PM

"Some folks within the organization have been talking a lot about how hard it is to win without your starting quarterback."

That is the biggest bunch of BS i've ever heard. Yes, a team may not operate at full potential without it's starting QB but it should at least operate at 20%. Fox's lame excuses won't work forever.

I'd have alot more respect for him if he'd be a man and admit that this team is bad. He's a coward and hides behind excuses such as above.

Posted by: ynak | Nov 25, 2007 8:38:52 PM

I challenge everyone with a comment for Jerry Richardson to craft him a personal message - with or without a paper bag over his/her head - and bring it to the next game and display it in front of the owner's box...go to section 202 and go down the aisle and hold it up high. He'll see it and maybe he'll "get" it.....watch out for the policemen guarding the owner's box however....they look menacing. BUT SOMEBODY HAS TO COMMUNICATE THE TRUTH TO HIM!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Randall Wallace | Nov 25, 2007 8:44:04 PM

it really seems we are unprepared as a team each and every week. we need a complete change of GM and coach. bring marty shot down from lake norman...he can put together a team. I'll take going 11-5 and losing in the playoffs over 7 straight home losses. the only bright spot in all this crap is not playoff tickets invoice due.

Posted by: 309-18-1-2 | Nov 25, 2007 8:57:47 PM

Look how good the Browns are since Jeff Davidson got here...(7-4)..slightly better than 4-7. The Richardson's are morons they only care about getting money. we haven won a home game since Nov 19, 2006. Lets get Cowher or anyone who likes to score would be okay. Players that should stay are Chris Harris, Marshall, Smith, Jake, McGlover #74, and Beason and maybe a few others. Kasay needs to retire, whens the last time he had a touchback? 1976 i think. Carr is gay. Colbert can't catch. Lets get Derek Anderson this off season when cleveland makes the move to Brady Quinn. He's one of the top QBs in the NFL. Ive been to about every home game and this was one of the most embarrasing ever. Richardson, do something!

Posted by: True Fan | Nov 25, 2007 9:26:58 PM

Pat, don't you think you could have just graded the whole effort an F and shortened the post. I thought the defense played well in the first half but did wear down. The pass protection was better. Four turnovers will kill you every time. GM Hurney missed on the David Carr signing and he missed on a number of other things. This team looks lost on offense. CatScratchReader.com

Posted by: Jaxon | Nov 25, 2007 9:27:59 PM

To make matters worse, the team has dug themselves a nice hole. The Panthers have drafted very poorly the past 3 or 4 years, and its starting to show. Marty is a poor judge of talent. I will take a 3 years of excellent drafts to get back to at least a respectable team.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 25, 2007 10:02:54 PM

This might be one of the worst coaching jobs I has ever seen in a football game. Numerous time our defensive backs didn't know who to cover, why? Even Ken Lucas knew our schemes were wrong, why didn't the coaches. This team is too talented to be given a bunch of idiots to control them. I like Fox, but he needs to get tough on these guys. No one is held accountable, it is starting to feel like the Seifert era all over again.

Posted by: Donny | Nov 25, 2007 10:15:09 PM

The game turned into a comedy in the third quarter. It started raining and Foster started to fumble left and right and behind him. I have never seen someone for 2 fumbles on themselves. I laughed until I hurt watching him run forward, backward, toward the other goal line. I guess you had to be there to understand.

What will we get to see next week?

Posted by: pslholder | Nov 25, 2007 10:27:12 PM

Hire Josh McDaniels, the Offensive Coordinator of the Patriots.

Go check his bio at their website..he's what we need.

Posted by: Matt A. | Nov 25, 2007 10:36:08 PM

This is very troubling... our coaching staff took an inordinate amount of time to assemble this team with roster cut after roster cut, and this is what we have to hang our hat on... Can’t say I didn’t expect it. Our QB situation is ridiculous AND THE ONLY REASON Fox won’t start D. Williams is because he wants to hang his hat on D. Foster’s collective rushing yards at the end of the season. Carr should be shot!!! (joking of course) but I knew he was garbage I wish we could go back and read a prior post I posted when we picked him up. The guy earlier is right… the Dolphins would put up 41 points on us right now. Fox’s quote after the game “we were simply out played by the Dolphins, they gave us a look they haven’t shown all year… it’s no one persons fault.” It’s all BS Fox… just say that you don’t know what the hell you’re doing right now.

Posted by: Caro2daHeart | Nov 25, 2007 10:47:46 PM

I wouldn't hire Fox to coach a monkey shit-fight at the zoo.

If the Richardson's don't fire him after this season, then I may just lose all hope in the Panthers as long as they own them.

Posted by: Matt West | Nov 25, 2007 11:10:29 PM

How about trading Carr for AJ Feely? Feely's playing great against the Pats, Carr can't play decent against a nursing home PE team.

And while your at it trade Fox for that coach from Duke. At least that guy would just tell the fans that the team sucks instead of making up some crap excuses.

Posted by: Matt West | Nov 25, 2007 11:19:21 PM

why do they still use foster and not d williams,give him a turn!!!

Posted by: tony | Nov 25, 2007 11:42:11 PM

When I was young in the 70's I worked at Soldier Field in Chicago for Bear games before the Ditka era. I can remember those horrible Bear teams that went 1-13 for the year. All I can say is that watching the game today sure brought back memories.

Posted by: Ray | Nov 25, 2007 11:52:17 PM

I remember comentators saying things 2 years ago and last yr like "Fox doesn't make excuses that's not the kind of man he is" BS!!! He always MAKES THEM! If "We had injuries! Well if that were viable excuse then NO coach! in the NFL! would ever be fired! fox...As every team loses 1 to 3 starters for the year EVERY YEAR!! it's a part of the game. The only time....when injuries are a excuse is when the guys you lose are pro-bowlers! If you lose a non pro bowler and that injury takes u from play off contention to one of the leagues worst teams! Then it's more than INJURIES! u idiot! you may fool Jerry Richardson! (idiot) with that crap....but u won't fool me...The Eagles put up 28 points on the best team ANY OF US has ever seen! in the Patriots! and almost won the game without 1 pro bowl WR!!! I could go on namimg all the Back up qb's who have done decent to good jobs this yr...but...when panthers lose their QB....we should expect to go from good to one of the worst in the league!? FIRE JOHN FOX!!! then u put M. Moore in the game! for what!! once the game is over you should have started him if you wanted to give him a real chance! and Why do comentators keeps saying "if they fire fox...he won't be unemployed for long" SO!! AND WHAT!! who gives a SHIT! Would any Employer Keep a Employee who's not performing well....because he may be hired by their competition!!?>?? how much sense does that make?!?!?!

Posted by: Cheven | Nov 25, 2007 11:57:24 PM

Okay, one player goes down for the entire season but this is pro football right? If you still have 10 regular starters on Offense, why do you have to play a conservative game and not open up the playbook? Is it that complicated that only Jake D. can understand it? The QB only has to do 2 things, hand the ball off or throw the ball. It is up to the other players to really know where to go and what to do, right? If these players are professional football players, it should not matter who is at QB, espically since you have 2 veteran QB's that have been starting, not to open up the playbook. BTW, whatever happen to the zone blocking running offense that was suppose to be in place. I have only seen a few plays. How hard is it to run? Let's see the O-line suppose to block, the QB is suppose to hand-off, and the RB is suppose to run. How hard is that.

Since this team is not running the ball...seems to me they have ran out of excuses for not winning. You can only use the "no starting QB excuse" for so long !!!

Posted by: Animal007 | Nov 26, 2007 12:20:01 AM

As I write this, Pat is on WCNC saying Vinny gives us our best chance at winning a game. While that may be true, it speaks volumes as to how sorry a state this team is in. You bring a guy like Vinny in to help be a coach on the field kind of player -- not to load the team up on his 44-year-old back and pray he can get you through the year. Play Moore and let him get some reps. We can't count on Jake being back next season. If he's not or if he's not the same kind of player he was before the injury, then we need to have some experience at QB. Moore may not give us our best shot at a win in this lost season, but he is our best shot at QB.

Posted by: John | Nov 26, 2007 12:44:36 AM

The Richardson's don't care about the fans. I mean at the games all they do is show advertisements, whens the last time they showed a re play. They are greedy and only wont their money. The games are already sold out so don't expect anything to happen soon. Also, Marty Hurney is an idiot.

Posted by: Die Hard Fan | Nov 26, 2007 12:55:36 AM

Jason Garrett. He's brilliant.

Posted by: hillbilly | Nov 26, 2007 1:36:26 AM

Well like most of the previous fans theat have posted their remarks my post will not be much different. As a fan that has made the trip to every home game since the beginning (Clemson Days) today was the closest thing to the final game of the 2001 season capping off a 1-15 year. Heading to the stadium it was like walking the green mile to your death (just kidding of course). It was so dead outside and in the stadium and justifully so. It was like the fans that were going to attend were heading to see something they knew was inevitable...another home loss. There is nothing to cheer about our current team. It seems like forever a go that we were 4-2 coming off a win in Phoenix. I have a horrible feeling that we will not win another game this season. I would of never thought this when I was leaving St. Louis after our week 1 win over the Rams (at the time we thought this was a big win). At that point when we finish 4-12 or 5-11 I think Fox and his crew will be gone and Hurney will be right behind him. I think that this is what Richardson needs to do. I respect Fox and no doubt he is a great coach. He did lead our franchise to a Super Bowl and a NFC Championship game, but I think at some point you need a new philosophy and game plan. The game has changed with Fox at the helm and has passed him by. The day is over pulling out a 17-16 win at the gun like we did so often. There is no room for mistakes with approach. Teams like the Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, Saints, Colts, I can keep going have shown that the wayy the NFL is played today is by scoring points. their main goal is to outscore their opponent. The new rules that the NFL has implemented allows for points to be scored. It is funny to hear how the NFL critics and scouts are so critical of qb's that are in spread systems stating that they will not adjust to the next level. For example, Colt Brennan with Hawaii. I don't know if you guys have seen him play but he is in 5 wide almost every play. Look at Missouri, Oregon (before Dixon got hurt), and West Virginia. They all look pretty similar to New England, Green Bay, and Indy with how they spread you out and attack. I think that this is a direction we need to go in, and to do so it starts from the top. We will not change things overnight, but I think it is a start to getting OUR franchise turned around. I don't even want to get in to the defensive side of the ball, but for the people that watched the Philly/N.E. game Monday night how much fun is it to watch a solid defense like Philly. I know that they came up short, but how cool is it to see the blitz every down? I think that this is what we need to look at as well. Our overated D line is at the end of their run and we need to evaluate there. What about trading Peppers for a couple of #1's? This is another thing we need to look at. I think that it is time for us to go in another direction, so Fox as much as you have done for us best of luck at your next stop. I think that the team has finally tuned you out and it is time for a new voice.

Posted by: Dissapointed Fan | Nov 26, 2007 1:40:50 AM

The Panthers will have trouble as long as Jerry Richardson views this team as a toy for his sons to play with. This problem goes deeper than the coach and GM. Get rid of anyone in the front office named "Richardson" and bring in some experienced football people to run the franchise.

The problem with this team is nepotism. It's starting to look like the same problems the Lakers have with the owner's sons interfering with the GM and football operations.

Posted by: DBM LA | Nov 26, 2007 1:41:55 AM

This site explains it all

Posted by: SYRPIS | Nov 26, 2007 4:41:01 AM

There was a game yesterday? I had no idea.

Posted by: Huh? | Nov 26, 2007 8:21:41 AM