« Delhomme: It's tough to watch team struggle | Main | Testaverde or ... who? »

November 28, 2007

The common good: Rookie LBs

In what has been a disappointing season for the Panthers and the 49ers, each club has had one similar bright spot. That's the play of their rookie linebackers, Jon Beason for Carolina and Patrick Willis for San Francisco. Both were first-round choices and San Francisco coach Mike Nolan said in a conference call Wednesday that the 49ers considered drafting Beason as he discussed the two rookies.

"I think they are both very good football players," Nolan said. "We did take a very hard look at Beason and we really liked him.  He is a football player who is from the University of Miami, and, for me personally, I have had a lot of good luck and success with guys from the University of Miami. Whether it was Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, or Frank Gore more recently, and so I always take a good, hard look at those kids because a lot of times they are just football players.  From a comparison standpoint, they are both very good players but they play a little bit of a different style.  I think that both of them do
play physical. I think that Patrick has exceptional speed and quickness.  I think they are both very instinctive players and the game is very important to both guys.  I think both players are outstanding professionals and I just think that they play a little bit different style on the field, but they both get it done and that is what it's all about."

-- Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on November 28, 2007 at 04:54 PM | Permalink

Comments

Uh, not to take anything away from Beason -- who has made the very best of a badly, badly botched Panther off-season and draft -- but Willis is insane. He is bigger and faster than Beason and his motor has only revved up as the season has worn on despite being stuck on a bad team.

I can easily see Willis with 2 or 3 sacks, an INT and forced FUM on Sunday. The key to watch is how the 49ers deploy him -- do they attack or have him catch blocks and flow?

I think that pretty much answers itself.

Posted by: JAT | Nov 28, 2007 6:49:35 PM

JAT, I agree. Furthermore, why didn't the Panthers draft Willis instead?? Wasn't he still on the board at that point? I have to say the scouts are not getting their job done. Personnel management is at its worst in franchise history. The cause of this problem is partly due to what this video reveals...

Posted by: SYRPIS | Nov 28, 2007 6:58:15 PM

Willis went at #11 to SF which I'm convinced helped prod the Panthers to trade out of #14 (to the Jets) to the #25 where they took Beason.

Posted by: JAT | Nov 28, 2007 7:05:18 PM

No, Willis was not on the board when the Panthers picked. I was hoping they would trade up and get him, as I thought he was the single best player in the entire draft. You'll see what I mean this Sunday, if anyone watches "the game", "the game" for 3rd and 4th draft picks next year.

Posted by: Trainwasher | Nov 28, 2007 7:11:10 PM

Posted by: Trainwasher | Nov 28, 2007 7:11:59 PM

I loved WIllis coming out but I am very happy with Beason...he's costing us a lot less money! than willis is...costing niners..but...then i see what fox did with those picks in 2nd round and it almost negates what we got in the first!

Posted by: Cheven | Nov 28, 2007 7:34:01 PM

I am looking forward to another comedy Sunday. Foster looked like one of the guys on the JACK ASS show when he forced two fumbles on himself. On one of the fumbles he kicked the ball out of his arms with his knee...HA HA HA HA.....I think it was the funniest thing I have ever seen at a football game and I do use football game loosely.

That goober head PA announcer does not even know the names of the players. He makes so many mistakes with the panther names, yesterday he didn't even know what number Reggie Bush was. He called him another name. I guess he had his eye on the next advertisement on his sheet. They even advertise for WBT between 1st and 2nd downs, yesterday.

Billion Ads Stadium is a pure joke. The halftime mascot superbowl was as funny as the second half.

I feel sorry for Vinny for having his name involved with such a child like organization.

I do think Vinny would make a great QB's coach. I hope a lot of coaching positions will open up soon.

When I got home Sunday night and sat down to watch NE and Philly, it was like I had been to a PEE WEE game in relation to watching Sunday Night Football.

Posted by: pslholder | Nov 28, 2007 10:35:23 PM

Just wondering what the hell happened to Michael Procton. Hey know it all, things aren't looking too good and you tucked tail. You've been talking out of your ass (as Foxy has) the whole damn time.

Posted by: Red | Nov 29, 2007 12:48:52 AM

I think P-Willis is a beast. He is an all-world perennial pro-bowler. And Beason is really good and shows the promise to aptly fill Morgan's shoes. But I'm curious what if the Panthers had traded up for Willis instead of trading down for the extra pick. It seemed that day that having Beason, Jarrett, and Kalil easily trumped having one Patrick Willis. But Jarrett and Kalil have been non-factors. I hope these guys actually get developed and contribute. I just know that next year the Panthers need a QB and a stud left tackle in the first two rounds--and hopefully pick up a bona fide free safety in FA.

Posted by: Dave | Nov 29, 2007 9:57:16 AM

What kills me is all these people calling for Cowher. If Cowher had been the coach here and come so close for so many years like he did in Pittsburgh, these same people would have called for his firing for not being able to win the big one. I think ownership is perhaps the more important variable here. I mean, is there a bigger retread in coaching than Wade Phillips? But the Cowboys seem to keep winning - even though I think Jerry Jones is an ass monkey. What none of us, including the press, are privvy to are the discussions between the owner and the coach. How much free reign does Fox have in all phases of football operations, drafting, coaching, play calling, discipline, etc. If the ownership of the Panthers tries to impose their views of morality on the coach as much as they do on the stadium with its attempt to have a glorified high-school game from the 50's atmosphere, it could be a common thread here. When we were winning, we were still running the same type of offense/defense, just had better people. What the team tries to do on the field hasn't changed.

Posted by: Willy | Nov 29, 2007 12:25:02 PM

Where are all the preseason Beason haters hiding now? Come out and admit you were misguided!

Posted by: Richard | Nov 29, 2007 12:37:55 PM

I don't know why anyone would think it would've been worth trading down to get Willis. Beason is playing just as well as Willis for the most part. I'd even give Beason the slight edge in pass coverage. Yeah, Willis has more tackles but he's also been starting at middle linebacker since day one. Beason had to wait until game 4 or 5 to move there.

Posted by: SwordOfDoom | Nov 29, 2007 2:26:01 PM