« Panthers' report card | Main | Olson: QB situation for 2008 seems solid »

December 31, 2007

Kalil proud of place in history

It was clean out your locker and turn in your playbook day at Bank of America Stadium today, and as I pulled into the parking lot for coach John Fox’s news conference late this morning, players were leaving the building in ones and twos, most carrying boxes full of stuff from the 2007 season to waiting Hummers, Beamers and Escalades. There went cornerback Ken Lucas and, a moment later, tight end Jeff King. As I entered the building, I passed rookie center Ryan Kalil, who played every snap in Sunday’s 31-23 victory against Tampa Bay in Tampa, Fla.

"Hey, turn on your tape recorder, I want to get something permanently on the record," he said. The recorder squeaked into gear. "I just want to let you know that I was the one who gave (retiring quarterback) Vinny Testaverde’s ... no wait; hold on," Kalil said, laughing. "I want to word this correctly. I snapped Vinny Testaverde’s last snap. Just for the record; I want it to be on record SOMEWHERE."

Testaverde retired after 21 seasons and the record as the oldest starting quarterback to win an NFL game. Kalil, still in diapers when Vinny started, was impressed by that body of work. My tape recorder isn’t exactly the Library of Congress, so I’ll give it slightly more permanence by inscribing it in a blog.

And to all you blog-readers and comment-writers, Happy New Year!

-- STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on December 31, 2007 at 04:55 PM | Permalink

Comments

Happy New year Stan and all Panther fans out there!! Here's hoping for a fortuitous new season for the team in '08.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 31, 2007 6:49:26 PM

Pat and Stan,
Make a resolution to start doing real journalism. I am making a resolution to never read this blog again.

Posted by: bob | Dec 31, 2007 8:24:32 PM

P & S -- and S & T for that matter: I second bob.

There is a reason the Big Cat gave the NFL Network the next-season scoop: He does not respect you.

He thinks he can control access and cut you off. Next year resolve to prove him wrong.

First item -- The anti-Matt Moore bunch in the Panther front-office, real or imagined? You guys know exactly what I am talking about.

Do not go for the 24-hour story -- the Jenkins at camp story -- go deep. What -- exactly -- do Jon-Jon and Mark do, for example?

Nuther investigative number: Jake -- whom I love -- is that a Tommy John come back or an ulnar nerve-damage comeback? Word on the street is the latter -- no feeling in the pinky or ring finger.

Also -- is there a team in the League with a worse cap situation than the Panthers? Seriously.

Posted by: Jeff A. Taylor | Dec 31, 2007 8:38:46 PM

dont listen to those losers they dont know what they are talking about.

Posted by: yo. | Dec 31, 2007 8:47:05 PM

Stan and Pat,
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and commenting on this blog this year, it made this season more bearable. If the Panthers front office, which anyone that has ever read anything I have written knows I think is the real source of problems here, makes a play to only have Panther games on the NFL network - I am done as will a lot of other people be done. What happened to humble Jerry, thanking the people for making this happen? Well, the heat is hot and he would just rather not deal with it so he takes our money and hides in the castle while his main offspring is off trying to get the Panthers to be part of NFL network. They create the boring atmosphere because they want quiet from the owner's box, they want to see their provincial view of the world where ladies wear pearls to the games and everyone claps oh so gentilely. Most people I know would rather watch the game on TV at a local bar than at the stadium, how bad it that?

I have enjoyed your reports, I know they don't give you much to work with and keep a very tight lid on communication. See if you can encourage one of the players to participate in a blog that they read and respond to, that could be pretty interesting. Interview the OC from this year, and see if you can get him to admit that Fox still called most of the plays. That is a good story (and a real one).

A detailed analysis of the top draft prospects, trade and cut rumors would be nice to see now that the season is mercifully over. Also, how about a follow up on Mark Fields.

Posted by: Willy | Dec 31, 2007 9:44:40 PM

Bob and all the other naysayers:
Please do us a favor and follow through with your threats to stop reading, stop coming to games, stop watching them as well on TV. I like what Stan and Pat write, especially the off-the-wall things Stan offers. I "love" the "real journalism" crowd, who often can't spell nor construct an entertaining nor informative sentence themselves, but demand excellence that they can't recognize if they saw it. Keep up the good work P & S. I, for one, appreciate it. By the way, I also proofread this post. It would be nice if everybody would do the same for theirs.

Posted by: omert | Jan 1, 2008 6:40:43 AM

Thanks Omert... well said. As far as an update on Mark Fields... go to you tube and type in his name. I'm not sure if that video is old or new, but it is pretty entertaining (and disgusting at the same time). That is a good question though, how much influence Fox has on the offensive play calling... here is a better one though, how much influence does Jerry Richardson have over the personnel decisions?? My money is on a ton... so stop bashing Fox & company for some unusual decisions alreay because it may be out of his hands. Happy New Year!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 1, 2008 7:39:15 AM

BTW, I still think Pat Yasinskioki-sellout-uski is a hack.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 1, 2008 7:42:39 AM

OMERT....Thank You... I think you speak, for most of the people, that read the Blog's here, but they don't want to be bashed in the head by these so-called expert's that respond on here..Pat and Stan, both did a good job. I personally don't know how they take all the crap from these bloggers...I would be asking them to meet me somewhere, so I could beat some sense into them.. I'm glad Fox and Hurney will be around one more year, and I am looking forward to seeing Jake next year... Happy New Year everyone..!!

Posted by: catsnmbr1fan | Jan 1, 2008 10:59:00 AM

Hired Billick as our defense coor. and I dont want to give up Jenkins but if he wants to go back home. Trade him for Ed Reed at the Ravens, that will work and pick up Javon Walker and our off season will be a success along with the draft. Picking top tier OL, LB, and possibly another corner. or free agent. Bad timing for Mike Martz to be fired cause he would fit wonderfully if he would have came in last year for us. But we dont have to make that many changes not lest hurney and boys want to be the celtics but we have no money. Trade for Ed Reed and pick up Javon Walker. Draft Phillips! Defense will be ready to contend for number 1! Watch what I tell you...LOBBY FOR ED REED. Him and Harris back there. I yi yi!

Posted by: Panther Fan D | Jan 1, 2008 12:37:44 PM

Hire Rob Ryan?

Posted by: Fan | Jan 1, 2008 12:44:45 PM

I'm prescribing New Year's Resolutions for some players and coaches:

Foxyyy baby....please resolve to be more aggressive next season. throw the 3rd-and-long draw play out of the window...Let Davidson do what he promised he was going to do. Something tells me you overrode alot of play calls this season.

Smitty...You were the perfect picture of heart, desire and passion this season. I don't expect you to change a bit. ONE LITTLE THING THOUGH...those hands. You dropped a couple of would-be clutch passes. You were leading the league in drops at one point and time too....I know you didn't have your boy Jakes..but like they say in show business, the show must go on (even if you don't like the new lead actor)

Big Jenks...well, you took your time coming back (in great shape too, if i might add), blasted the team after 4 games, were the poster boy for encroachment penalties, and now your saying you don't know if you want to come back because you miss Maryland. You confused me alot this year. If the team was really as bad as you made it seem, then you should've been in the Pro Bowl or at least have made a Pro Bowl effort. I just want you to resolve to address your teammates face to face and man to man first...then address the media...THEN LEAD BY EXAMPLE -- if you come back.

Foster...*diggin in my pockets for Tom Coughlin's phone number*...How can you be an elite back when you run with the ball like you're passin out flyers? Please resolve to watch more Tiki Barber film.

Dwayne Jarret, Keary Colbert, Drew Carter and Ryne Robinson...i want one of you to resolve to be the number 2 wide receiver.

David Carr...just please resolve to realize that maybe you're not cut out for the NFL game...i mean, how can an undrafted rookie have more poise in the pocket than a 6 year vet? Just a question...

Pepp...please tell me this season was a fluke. please tell me this season was a fluke. please tell me this season was a fluke. please tell me this season was a fluke. Resolve to unleash the beast next season!

Hurney...Resolve to think more carefully about this off season's moves. Evidently keeping the same team from a season ago didn't work. So lets make some moves! Lets shake this thing up and convince panther's fans and opponents that we are serious about becoming an elite NFL team. We are only a couple of pieces away from a championship (#2 WR, OL, S, DT)

To Panthers fans in general....let's resolve to be more supportive next season. I know this year's team was hard to watch...but they are our team, and if we don't support them, who will? I will continue to rep my black and electric blue until we bring home that lombardi trophy..and countless years after that...PANTHERS IN '08!!

Posted by: Panthers in '08 | Jan 1, 2008 12:47:23 PM

Hire Rex Ryan from the Ravens. Let Hoover go and use King and Rosario at the same time.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 1, 2008 7:08:54 PM

Hey Panthers Fan D this is not Madden, why would baltimore want to get rid of reed?? Why would denver want to get rid of walker?? Also Billick is an offensive coach not a d cord.

Posted by: Billy | Jan 1, 2008 7:13:21 PM

Guys from the Observer have tried to get in touch with Fields, but he's always refused a full interview. Also, Ed Reed's not going anywhere, but Javon Walker's released a few statements lately about his unhappiness with Denver and the Broncos. I doubt we could afford him (his contract or trade cost), but he certainly is a good player--when healthy. Potentially could be some problems sharing the ball between himself and Steve Smith. He seems to be quite the whiner. When you can get Brett Favre (one of the better teammates in the NFL aside form the retirement issues) to throw you under the bus, you've probably done something not too special.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 1, 2008 8:02:00 PM

BILLY YOU DON'T WATCH TV JAVON WALKER WANT OUT OF DENVER AND CAROLINA IS THE BEST FIT WE ALL KOW DENVER ISN'T GIVEN HIM TO THE AFC TEAMS ALSO KEP JENKINS FIND A WAY TO GET RID OF KEMO HEY PUT HIM AND DAVID CARR IN A TRADE FOR JAVON WALKER THEY NEED SOME BODY TO STOP THE RUN ADD FOSTER AND TELL DENVER TO GIVE US A 3 ROUND PICK ALSO FOX FINALLY UNDERSTAND THEY NEED TO GET MORE PLY MAKER HOPE WHO EVER ARE GM IS MAKE THAT HEPPEN FREE AGENCY AND DRAFT ALSO VIA TRADE I BELIEVE WE CAN GET GOOD AMOUNT OF TALENT THE PANTHERS ARE GOING TO OPEN UP THEIR WALLET AND MAKE THE PANTHERS FAN UNDERSTAND THEY DO CARE ABOUT WINNIG AND BEING A CHAMP.

Posted by: TELLING IT LIKE IT IS | Jan 1, 2008 8:38:10 PM

You're a riot, man...how often do NFL trades take place with 3 starters involved? It's also tough that the Panthers haven't ALREADY "opened up the wallet" given the amount of money they already have under the cap.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 1, 2008 9:28:09 PM

deangelo williams is our starter, but we also need to draft a back who will turn out to be what we all THOUGHT shelton would be. we also need to draft a big receiver and a massive left O-lineman because travelle wharton sucks.

Posted by: 309-18-1-2 | Jan 1, 2008 10:03:13 PM

Telling like it is, why would Denver ever take those 3 guys for Walker?? Cutler is their QB for the future so they have no use for Carr, Foster fumbles way too much to see the field in denver, and Kemo was a bust here why would they want his contract?? But under your logic why should really try to trade Matt Moore for Brady or Manning. I am sure in your mind that can happen.

Posted by: Billy | Jan 2, 2008 6:01:24 AM

This time Procton is correct. Teams just dont go around packaging starters for starters, especially high priced starters, it does happen in the NBA not in the NFL. The Clinto Portis for Champ Baily thing is a rare exception.

Also, Javon Walker wants out of Denver, I think he'd be a great fit here, but I have to wonder how comfortable he would be not being the star wideout.

Posted by: m | Jan 2, 2008 8:21:55 AM

We don't need J.Walker and all his baggage. Lets get B.Berrian,& Andre Davis. I would also like to see the Panthers resign Drew Carter. Why don't the panthers release foster and the #1 thing this offseason Trade for Chester Taylor. That is the back we need!!!

Posted by: wowo | Jan 2, 2008 9:38:07 AM

Posted by: wowo | Jan 2, 2008 9:38:45 AM

Barrian would be a nice fit but the Panthers will have to dish out the dollars, not that they wouldn't with Walker. As far as Davis, i just cannot imagine the Texans letting him go, based on his return abilities alone.

Posted by: m | Jan 2, 2008 10:34:24 AM

Posted by: m | Jan 2, 2008 10:34:57 AM

How about Mike Hart- I know he's got injury concerns but he is sure handed and seems to be great at hitting the holes and not going for neg. yards. I dont think he is worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick, but if for some reason he is around in the later rounds, I'd like to see him in a Panther uniform.

Posted by: Stanley | Jan 2, 2008 1:22:20 PM