« Wahle: Dallas' schemes different this year | Main | Panthers working younger guys in »

December 20, 2007

Moore: Don't hold anything back

Maybe the neatest thing about Panthers practice today was that we didn't need to ask who Carolina's starting quarterback would be. When I jokingly asked coach John Fox about it, he just grinned. Nice -- for once -- for that not to be a game time decision.

With the answer obviously Matt Moore, some fans wondered if the team had a limited game plan last week because of his inexperience.

"Last week was a pretty complete playbook," Moore said. "I don't think they held anything back."

And if they want to add more for Dallas Saturday night?

"I think if that's the case, that'd be great," he said. "If that's what they feel like doing, then let's do it. I think the confidence is there with everybody. Not only with myself, there's a lot of younger guys that are playing, that did a great job.

"I don't think that would be anything bad at all."   Doesn't sound much like a rookie, does he?

Short week an issue?

The short week can mess guys up slightly, particularly when it comes late in the season. Normally, the Panthers would have had Monday and Tuesday to get over Sunday's soreness, but Tuesday brought a
full practice.

"It's tough, especially coming at the end of the year," said guard Mike Wahle. "Everyone's banged up a little bit already. It does screw up your system a little bit. We have to make sure we get a little
more sleep this week and make up for it."

-- Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on December 20, 2007 at 03:33 PM | Permalink

Comments

I am glad Moore is starting but regardless of what he does or this team wins or loses I still want J. Fox Fired! WE have known and been saying for a long time!! that Moore Couldn't be Worst than Vinny/Carr and I understand Vinny gets a past because he's so old but the fact of the matter is he stinks! at QB regardless of the reason...so the past 4 games when they've been looking to Vinny!! even though or when he'd play terrible!! why not go with moore way back then!! and Don't give me "hindsight is 20/20" because EVERYONE! fans/media understood why panthers wouldn't give this kid a chance when the other two QB's were playing HORRIFIC! I hope Matt Moore Does well on sat. but that will be hard with The horrific play calling.

Posted by: Cheven | Dec 20, 2007 4:33:29 PM

Cheven,

How about getting your Mommy or Daddy to read over your emails before sending? Trying to decipher your post was was harder than watching David Carr play quarterback.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 20, 2007 4:53:28 PM

Excuse me Jerry but some of us have to do this thing called "Work" and I like others have little to no time to produced a pulitzer prize blog! Obviously you don't pocess an AP style hand book yourself with the style mistakes in your response. What is the point of insulting one another? What's next are you going to call me a name? bro seriously...get a life man....and next time I consider posting a message I'll be sure to send it to writers society of america for approval. If reading my message was harder than watching David Carr play quaterback then it may have put you to sleep! and my apologies for that!! lol...later man.

Posted by: Cheven | Dec 20, 2007 5:18:47 PM

Cheven what is up with the capital letters?

Posted by: steve | Dec 20, 2007 5:25:59 PM

www.ruinromo.com

Anybody going to the game must wear one of these!!

Posted by: Bew | Dec 20, 2007 5:27:16 PM

Are you kidding me Matt Moore? You aren't even close to being able to handle a full playbook. One game does not make one a superstar! He's about as idiotic as all you "fans" that comment on here if he believes that!
The Panthers need to start David Carr. We can all agree that Moore is a 3rd stringer, we need to see if Carr can be the starter next year in case Jake can't make it back. Carr has never fully been given the chance he deserves. Check the stats: Carr made Andre Johnson the player he is today. Start Carr you f'ing fools.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 20, 2007 5:46:40 PM

I'm the smartest man alive

Posted by: Julius Peppers | Dec 20, 2007 6:15:08 PM

That's brilliant Procton. It never ceases to amaze me, the crap you post on here.

Posted by: JP | Dec 20, 2007 6:16:19 PM

Posted by: JP | Dec 20, 2007 6:16:45 PM

Well, it amazes me too, when people have no better trick to pull than posting my name on their writing. I will say, however, that if Moore thinks he was playing with a full playbook, he's even dumber than I would have guessed.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 20, 2007 6:22:06 PM

If Fox was fired, there would be lots of teams in line to hire him. He needs to get rid of people around him that don't "manage" and stop being conservative.
The players are paid to much money for the preformance they deliver, cut Peppers pay and see what he delivers

Posted by: Rick Robinson | Dec 20, 2007 7:03:52 PM

We need to keep John Fox because there really isnt anyone out there that is better than him. What we need is Fox to focus on Defense, and he needs to have no say on what the offense does. Notice we have a diff OC but same plays? Thats Fox. Keep Fox get rid of our DC, and let out OC call the shots.

Posted by: david | Dec 20, 2007 7:41:34 PM

We need to see Carr again to figure out if he is a starter? Procton wake up! No, i get it, you where making a joke. that was funny-funny funny stuff.

Posted by: jakeniss | Dec 20, 2007 10:18:04 PM

I still think everyone attending the game should wear a Jessica Simpson or Carrie Underwood mask! What the heck!

Posted by: Rob | Dec 21, 2007 7:23:19 AM

I was hoping for Fox to get the ax, but seriously...who will we get to replace him? Cowher turned down (thank God!) the Falcons, and said he wants to wait another year, which puts Carolina out of the running. So, who is it, then? A college coach? They rarely, if ever, pan out. A coordinator from another team? I don't know who he is, but maybe the D-coordinator from Jacksonville? They certainly play a nasty style of defense, which is exactly what the Panthers are missing! Or the O-coordinator from somewhere else? I just don't know that we can be certain of improving our lot by jettisoning Fox...because with him, at least "it is what it is".

Posted by: Panther Dan | Dec 21, 2007 8:30:57 AM

ummm...Michael Procton apparently doesn't know what he's talking bout cause David Carr is garbage, but maybe he wasnt watching the same games I've been watching. Matt Moore has been the ONLY QB (besides Jake) that havsn't looked horrible this year. I mean, how in the world can you hate Matt when all he has done is come in and ACTUALLY play pretty good for a rookie that is put into a bad system ran by John Fox. You say David Carr made Andre Johnson the player he is today...well, ask yourself...what has he made the BEST WR in the NFL look like since he has been in Carolina? Now think about what you say before you come on here exposing your true intelligence, which isnt much

Posted by: Carolina's True #1 fan | Dec 21, 2007 9:03:23 AM

Procton it is one game dude give the kid a break nobody said he was not the next Brett Favre, you could not wash his jock.

Posted by: steve | Dec 21, 2007 10:31:06 AM

People get on the play calling way to much. JD is actually doing a pretty good job considering we have had 4 QB's start this year. Everyone please re watch the games, it is not play calling it is execution. Our wide outs drop balls, which would be first downs, Vinny was missing open WRs, Carr was holding the ball too long, and Foster was fumbling way too much. Play calling on offense hasn't been a problem it has been all execution. By the way 75% of the team every NFL teams runs a draw or a screen on 3 and 15+

Posted by: Billy | Dec 21, 2007 10:48:29 AM

Billy you are sooo right about this: *considering we have had 4 QB's start this year. it is execution.
--Big Yeees Billy, Big Yeees!

*Our wide outs drop balls, which would be first downs,
--Yes, Yes, hallelujah YES!!! Keary Colbert and Drew Carter and even sometimes Smitty have dropped good throws.

*Vinny was missing open WRs,
---Yes, happened on occasion

*Carr was holding the ball too long
---Yes...and Carr wasn't supposed to come in and take over yet. If you've been sacked as many times as he was at Houston, you need time to adjust and he was supposed to be adjusting and easing into it. He clearly wasn't ready yet. He wanted a break and he got thrown into the top job too soon.

*and Foster was fumbling way too much.
-----AAAAMENNN!!!!

And to me our blocking for the running game sucks. Our running backs aren't bruisers yet they are continually told to run through the middle with no blocking but their own puny selves. Thus when we need the crucial 1 YARD, we can't get it. (Like last week, sigh.)

Granted, sometimes Foster could break through, but Williams can't break through without some better blocking.

*Play calling on offense hasn't been a problem it has been all execution.

Again, Big YES!!!

Posted by: panthergrrl | Dec 21, 2007 1:26:42 PM

panthergrrl, Good point i forgot to mention the o line, it was so sad seeing us get denied on all those third and ones last week.

Posted by: Billy | Dec 21, 2007 1:29:26 PM

Mr.Procton you seem to have alot of time to spout out alot of uninformed gibberish.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 21, 2007 2:40:16 PM

Stan,

Did Matt Moore wear tight shorts?

Randy

Posted by: Randy Throwbridge | Dec 21, 2007 4:49:50 PM

My wish to Santa is Mr. Procton goes away.

Posted by: owen | Dec 21, 2007 5:57:28 PM

matt more is the future in carolina and will prove it against dallas tomorrow night!

Posted by: jdub | Dec 22, 2007 2:24:56 AM

Matt Moore will do well enough to get picked up by another team for draft picks as we go into next year with Jake and Carr.

Posted by: Perfect Killing Machine | Dec 22, 2007 8:46:33 AM