« Looking ahead at potential free agents | Main | Peppers misses out on $2 million »

December 18, 2007

No Panthers picked for Pro Bowl

For the first time since 1995, the Carolina Panthers didn't have any players elected to the Pro Bowl. The rosters will be announced on the NFL Network at 4 p.m. today. But, sources with knowledge of the roster said no Panthers made the Pro Bowl.

-- PAT YASINSKAS

Posted by Observer Sports on December 18, 2007 at 02:59 PM | Permalink

Comments

Does this surprise you? Anyway, who cares...although it might be an honor, of which no one on the Panthers deserves, it is a joke just like the Heisman.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 18, 2007 4:11:16 PM

Even if we were having a great year, I seriously wouldn't care. I agree, the Pro Bowl is only there because agents tie it to incentive clauses. What a waste. I can't remember the last time I even tried to watch the Pro Bowl. Just name them as All Stars and let them heal and not play that joke of a game, so they can get their extra money. Also, Stan, you are bald.

Posted by: Willy | Dec 18, 2007 4:24:36 PM

No Panthers in Pro Bowl, how about the NFC South getting shut out, ouch!

Posted by: Chris | Dec 18, 2007 4:25:39 PM

Willy,

What, are you 12 yrs old???

And no, this isn't Stan...he'll ignore your dumb @ss.

Posted by: HavePlentyOfHair | Dec 18, 2007 4:29:42 PM

I'm not surprised. Peppers was a lock until this year. I can't beleive he only have 3 sacks!! I'm not going to blame Steve Smith for not making it. Kris Jenkins have been pretty good this year.Kris is fat as hell but he holds up his weight. I luv Kris.

Posted by: Pakmania | Dec 18, 2007 4:34:21 PM

Ouch. Boy the Panthers suck this year. I bet Jason Taylor makes the Pro-Bowl and his team has only won one game, but at least he's played good! We suck.

Posted by: Matt West | Dec 18, 2007 4:42:15 PM

HaveHair,
How much I wish I could be. Leave my ass out of this.

Posted by: Willy | Dec 18, 2007 4:54:38 PM

The NFC south getting shut out is much worse than the Panthers, it does not look good for our division. That was a good point Chris I didnt even notice it.

Posted by: Billy | Dec 18, 2007 5:29:49 PM

Does anybody know if Pro Bowl bonuses figure into the salary cap?

Posted by: Tom | Dec 18, 2007 7:38:45 PM

Does anybody know if Pro Bowl bonuses figure into the salary cap?

Posted by: Tom | Dec 18, 2007 7:39:27 PM

I think those bonuses are in the "Not-likely-to-be-earned" category, which means that they're only charged against the cap IF they're achieved. So it doesn't put us in any BETTER shape, but we're also not in any worse.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 18, 2007 7:54:07 PM

It's beyond sad that the panthers can't win an pro bowl-less nfc south. FIRE FOX NOW!

Posted by: jp | Dec 18, 2007 8:09:40 PM

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 18, 2007 9:58:16 PM

"Jordan Gross, RT, Panthers: He's given up one sack all season. His problem is he plays on a bad team and he is a right tackle. They don't get much attention."
--Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline, in his Pro Bowl snubs article

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 18, 2007 10:18:46 PM

I'm kinda glad Gross didn't make it. Maybe he'll be easier to re-sign.

Posted by: ceb | Dec 18, 2007 10:52:46 PM

"Hey jp...do you think that has anything to do with two of our Pro Bowlers going down for the season before week 4?"

I think we would have had a bad season even if Jake was healthy all year. It most certainly would have been better than not having him, but I think we would have only been 2 wins stronger. We would have likely made the playoffs BUT not done much beyond that.

This team has been getting progessively worse in a piss-poor division. I say it's time for a change, be it Fox or Hurney, I don't care. Pick one. Pick both. Our football program needs a kick in the pants.

Posted by: jp | Dec 19, 2007 3:27:43 PM

You're right...it would still have been a bad season with the QB ranked 3rd in the NFL in passer rating under center.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 19, 2007 5:31:09 PM

Jake instead of Carr/Testeverde would be just 2 games better? Wrong.

Posted by: S.H. | Dec 19, 2007 10:25:20 PM

Last time I checked, Jake didn't play defense. And don't give me that whole spiel about him keeping the defense rested by extending drives, because Houston shot that theory to hell-(34-21).

How many games this season have the Panthers lost by 3-points or less?

Precisely zero!

By six-points or less? Zero!

Seven of the last fourteen games the Panthers have been blown out by thirteen or more points.

Absolutely none of the losses this season could be categorized as close.

Posted by: hillbilly | Dec 20, 2007 1:58:27 AM

Oh, so the argument about inspiring the defense works for Matt Moore, but not for Jake...way to be consistent.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 20, 2007 11:45:42 PM

Never said, or hinted for that matter, that Moore inspires the defense to play at any other level than the status-quo.

But now that you mention it, Moore does exhibit the same intangibles and knack for leadership that Jake does. Jake's enthusiasm is contagious, inspiring those around him to elevate their level of play, but that energy can only elevate the team's level of play but just so much.

Without a coaching staff that is able to develop NFL-caliber gameplans and fully prepare players for the game, then no amount of energy can overcome equally talented teams that have those coaching attributes.

Jake's an All-Pro, no doubt, but even he wouldn't have been able to overcome this season's poor coaching.

Posted by: hillbilly | Dec 21, 2007 1:37:19 AM

I do love the way you put words in people’s mouths.

Posted by: hillbilly | Dec 21, 2007 1:39:43 AM