« No Panthers picked for Pro Bowl | Main | Wahle: Dallas' schemes different this year »

December 18, 2007

Peppers misses out on $2 million

Julius Peppers’ silent season has cost him at least $2 million in the short term and, possibly, a lot more in the long term. The defensive end’s failure to be elected to the NFC Pro Bowl roster cost him at least $2 million. That’s the bonus Peppers earned last year when he made his third Pro Bowl. His original contract included Pro Bowl bonuses up to $11 million and it’s believed each Pro Bowl appearance escalated the bonus for the next one.

More significantly, the sub-par season might have hurt Peppers’ negotiating power in talks about a long-term contract. Peppers is under contract through the 2008 season, but the Panthers were believed to have had some interest in extending his contract before the start of this season. That didn’t happen and it could end up costing him the honor of being the league’s highest-paid defensive player.

-- Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on December 18, 2007 at 05:50 PM | Permalink

Comments

I suspect he's still going to expect to be paid the most of any defensive player. Have to wonder if he's been taking it easy this season to avoid getting seriously hurt while waiting for that paycheck.

Posted by: jdb1972 | Dec 18, 2007 6:33:15 PM

"Taking it easy?" Wouldn't he have had to try hard in the first place?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 18, 2007 6:57:46 PM

Get rid of him while he still has some value. Find players with heart that want to win. Either that or get him back on hgh.

Posted by: jp | Dec 18, 2007 8:11:33 PM

I'm with JP. Dump Poopers!!!! Dump Poopers!!! Du-u-ump Poo-oop-ersss!!!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Dec 18, 2007 10:33:12 PM

The Panthers will be fools if they let PEP go. I don't think PEP has been 100 percent healthy all season. He just like every other Panther is having a bad year. A healthy Jake, and the defensive coach let the defense play more aggressive, we'll be back. Everyone should be more motivated after this season. The coaching calls on both sides of the ball, has to take a chunk of the blame the way the team has played this year including the players.

Posted by: Tyrone | Dec 19, 2007 5:08:32 PM

No, every player does NOT recieve a bonus from their contract from reaching the Pro Bowl, and very few of those that do get as much as $2 mil. And Tyrone, he's been heathy all year...particularly in his desire to make a hell of a lot of money doing a lot of nothing.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 19, 2007 5:29:41 PM

you guys are idiots!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: jill coats | Dec 20, 2007 11:40:37 AM

If the Panthers let Peppers go, he would come back to be their worst Nightmare. Instead of talking about getting rid of Peppers, talk about doing somthing constructive, like getting Matt Moore some help at quarterback so we can get the ball down field. To have 4th and long, and throw a pass lateral just don't make sense. And that's not a quaterback problem, but a coaching. People in Charlotte have been loyal fans, but their proud fans, and next year without closing the deal could have financial affects.

Posted by: fdjohns007 | Dec 20, 2007 4:16:17 PM

jdp Your right on, I have said it from the beginning, why get hurt when u got the money. I remember when he was first drafted from Chapel Hill, he was asked as a Panther what was his future thoughts, his 4 year college gadgeation answer was " I dont know" typical!

Posted by: Rick Robinson | Dec 20, 2007 7:10:04 PM

The start of the problem this season started at the O-line. We had 3 QB's to go down due to bad play calling and an unorganized O-Line. Which led to frustration to the offense, throwing their consentration off due to a unfamiliar play book the QB's and recievers could not get on the same page. This then led to our over weighted front 4 of the D-fense to become too tired to play at pro bowl performance. That's why pep wasn't the pep we've come to know.

Posted by: Bryant Ashcraft | Dec 20, 2007 7:56:55 PM

I am glad to see that after Peppers gives us 3 pro-bowl seasons, we are ready to cut him after one subpar season. It seems like those loyal fans you all talk about must live outside of the Queen City. Pepps has given us all he has in the past, and will continue to do so. I am always so proud when I wear my Peppers jersey to be able to say that he was born in North Carolina, went to school in North Carolina, and now plays pro in the Carolinas. What a great story! Peppers will be back with a vengeance and I will be waiting to feed you your crow!

Posted by: fanofpeps | Dec 20, 2007 9:58:08 PM

Peppers has ALWAYS been overrated...one of the least consistent "stars" I've ever seen. Sure, he always gets his 10+ sack season, but he only has sacks in about 6 different games and he gets shut down by mediocre players in between (see the lockdown performance put on by one Whitworth, Andrew as a rookie last year in consistent one-on-one protection.)

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 20, 2007 11:44:48 PM

Peppers has had an off year. No question about that. But trade him after 1 off year. I hope your bosses don't feel the same when you've had a subpar year. Some of you sound like you need to be wearing Falcons shirts rather than Blue & Black. Thanks for standing behind him Pepperboy

Posted by: AtlPantherFan | Dec 21, 2007 6:47:19 PM

It's really funny how people are so quick to jump down Julius Peppers' throat after one subpar season following 3 pro bowl seasons...come on give me a break. How many pro athletes have a slump or a bad season and bounce back the following season?! Lots...the Panthers would be fools to trade him, and all you fairweather Panthers fans need to get a grip! The Cats will be back in 08, hopefully with just a new D-Coordinator. That's the change we need!

Posted by: garronbernard | Dec 21, 2007 7:21:25 PM

OK Folks, I'd like to start a firestorm. I think Peppers quit using steroids in the past year. Add diminished physical strength to an already non-aggressive personality and you have.....drumroll....3 sacks. Just a possibility.

Posted by: Bring back Biddle & Horn | Dec 25, 2007 12:00:07 AM

Dump Peppers? Okay,..the Panthers have officially lost all since of reality with this one. That's the worse thing they can EVER do. Even resigning Vinny/Jake would be better off than losing Pep. Yeah, for the past 2 seasons he's had his thumb up his own ass but....he still is the best on the squad on D. There are soo many other slackjaws to get rid of that will benefit the team more greatly.
It did turn my stomach to disgust when I saw Pepp on the sideline in street clothes showing off his 10million dollar Gold Rolex. I said, "What a hypocrite!" You have been getting handled on the line but you show kids what a strong player you are by flashing how much money you got? Get over yourself Pepp! I look in Pepp eyes and I dont see fire anymore, I see $$ signs. I dont see a maneater anymore, I see a hefty contract w/ bonuses! I dont see a team captain anymore, I see a guy who's more concerned with flashy watches than team comraderie and winning records. I dont see a man focused on staying on top of his game, I see a shell of a man who gets put on his back every play. When Trotter was released from Eagles, I saw him on the sideline with his Bucs teammates, not flashing diamonds, but in the face of his D line motivating and agitating. Now that's an example of a man with winning on his mind.
Get over yourself Pepp! I do think if Pepp slacks next season, he's gone. Why waste the money on a guy who prefers slacking/flashing than winning.

It almost seems like he's deliberately playing NOT to get hurt so he can double his flash in 09 when another team re-signs.
Thats just wrong.....

Power

Posted by: Power | Dec 26, 2007 1:26:01 PM

You know, I really have to agree with you on this one, Power. Pepp just doesn't seem all that concerned with regaining his once-dominant ability to single-handedly turn a game around.

Maybe he should leave the diamonds and gold at home, and bring his A-game instead--prove to everyone that he really is more concerned with playing, and not showing.

Posted by: hillbilly | Dec 28, 2007 1:54:17 AM