« Welcome back, Charles Chandler | Main | New Falcons coach meets with media »

January 25, 2008

Some receivers Panthers should consider

New Panthers beat writer Charles Chandler and I were noodling over the free agent receivers out there that could conceivably give a significant boost to the Carolina passing game and relieve pressure on Steve Smith.

The ideal candidate would be a big, possession receiver like Keyshawn Johnson used to be, but there are situations where a burner might work as well. Then there's Randy Moss, who can do everything, but New England won't be letting him get away.

Keep in mind we still don't know what kind of salary restraints the team will be working under. Among those free agents who might be considered:

- Ernest Wilford, Jacksonville -- he's got good size (6-4, 223 pounds) and is strong and physical.

- D.J. Hackett, Seattle -- Finished the season strong, although the 6-2 foot, 208-pound Hackett has had some injury problems.

- Bernard Berrian, Chicago -- Fast and not that big at 6-1 but still good as a possession guy--71 catches in 2007.

- Andre Davis, Houston -- Fast, and with the added benefit of being a top kick returner. He played well when andre johnson was injured.

- Bryant Johnson, Ariz. -- Still a lot of potential, but not a lot of room for him with the Cardinals. He's a prototypical big receiver at 6-3 and 216. There are more, of course, but these are some to chew on. -- STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on January 25, 2008 at 05:02 PM | Permalink

Comments

Yes I agree the panthers must consider all of these guys....Except I don't think D.J. Hackett is that good. Wilford would be great and I was SCEAMING! years ago! to draft him (he feel to the 4th or 5th round) But the panthers drafted Kerry Colbert!! in the 2nd instead....

1st. Did I hear right? The detroit lions are shopping Roy Williams?? What are they asking? I'd gladly give them a 2nd round pick (and a 4th) and or possibly a player. he Has it all and is a pro-bowl WR in my opinion Size Speed and I love his attitude.

On this list of Free agent WR's here's my wish list.
1. B. Berian I know he's not a Huge guy..but having a 6'3 Pocession WR opposite your big play guy is over rated (that's what your TE is for)..With Berian You force teams to Play Cover Two. Meaning they will have to have two Safties Deep at all times..which gives the panthers offense a 7 man defensive front at all times which helps the running game. Berian has proven he can beat most CB's in the league going deep one on one..and not only beat them but unlike Carter (actually find and catch the ball once he does) Not only that but With Berian if Smith has to miss a game or two or gets hurt...teams can't just stack the box and say "they don't have a Deep threat now" and it's easy to stop the run and under nealth stuff.

2. B.Johnson I really like him and I think he's a little faster than people give him credit for. I think he's a really good Number two and really Physical as well. HE runs great routes..and he's good blocker as well. Not much to say about this guy except hey..he's good.

3. Ernest Wilford For some of the same reasons I like Johnson I like Wilford this would be a great addition (however) I would like to see D. Jarrett Get a chance to be Wilford like if the coaches would give him some love. (playbook or not)

4. Andre Davis (I'd like to have him as much as I'd like to have anyone else except Berrian for the simple fact he's good and has kick return ability.

5. Devry Henderson....He's exceptionally fast..and I am not sure about him being a consistant number 2 but definitely a really good slot guy.

Regardless of what the panthers do they HAVE! to make room to get one of these guys or they can expect mediocrody again next year.

Posted by: Cheven | Jan 25, 2008 5:31:12 PM

The List makes sense to me, but i guess Davis wont be let go.

What`s with Justin Gage ? Injury issuess or why is he not on the list (size, and raw talent are there) ? He posted solid numbers in 07.

Posted by: Krueger | Jan 25, 2008 5:32:36 PM

How about this receiver out of Southern Cal, I think Jarrett is his name. Big body, did great in college. If properly used and coached, should be fantastic.

We need Matt Jones if we could get him from Jacksonville.

Chandler, you are an idiot, I can't believe you thought this up. There, it is out of the way now.

Posted by: Willy | Jan 25, 2008 5:35:51 PM

Even though I dream of seeing Chad Johnson becoming a Panther, that would take some unlikely magic! Of the receivers listed above, I think Wilford would be the best fit, followed by Andre Davis. I see Bernard Berrian as the type of receiver that Drew Carter IF Drew Carter had better hands. Personally, I'd rather have a stronger receiver... and thus my pick for Wilford.

Posted by: jomast | Jan 25, 2008 5:39:25 PM

Stan, when you say you and Charles were noodling together, what exactly do you mean?

Posted by: Willy | Jan 25, 2008 5:52:23 PM

Willy,
Come on now, just putting our heads together...as for Chad Johnson, word out of Cincy is that Lewis under no circumstances will let him get away. He can be an irritant, but is just too good to give up...

Posted by: stan olson | Jan 25, 2008 6:15:46 PM

I think we should take a long look at Rae Carruth. After a few years in the poke, you know he's ready for a breakout year.

Posted by: Noodling is Good times | Jan 25, 2008 6:36:46 PM

Foxsports reported that the Detroit Lions are looking for a 2nd round pick for WR Roy Williams. I would love to have Roy Williams, but they need to have a plan to trade someone and get that 2nd round pick so we don't miss out on a good young prospect. Remember we don't have a 5th round pick because of the Chris Harris trade. Of the list above, I have been saying that Bryant Johnson is our man. He won't cost as much because he just wants to get out of the shadow of Fitz and Boldin in ARZ. He will be VERY good when given the opportunity. I currently live in Chicago and you might not believe this, but fans here don't mind if they lose Berrian. He is a burner, but not very tough, injury prone, etc... Spend our free agent money on Johnson, Derrick Ward of the Giants, Gibril Wilson (FS) of the Giants and one of the Tennessee Titan DE. Then we can concentrate on our biggest needs: the offensive and defensive lines!!

Posted by: JLiv | Jan 25, 2008 6:37:41 PM

I like the list, But we drafted some players last year, lets stick with them! Chandler good luck and if i were you i wouldnt read what these dorks post. Most of it is garbage. Of the list though i like andre johnson, he is fast and not afraid of getting hit. Berian is a hard worker with great hands but he will want 3-4 million a year. Lets go with what we got or fire the coach and start over. Is managment still in love with the super bowl run? I think so. success can be a poison if you are narrow minded. Go Panthers!!!

Posted by: Radicaldad | Jan 25, 2008 6:42:13 PM

I wish the Panthers could get A. Davis if it is finacially responsible.

Keep in mind that even if we don't get another BIG WR, we have Carter & Jarrett. We need a great WR no matter what the size. The Patriots beat the team with two guys that were 5-9, & 5-10 while the other was barely 6-0 back in the SB of long ago. The best player period is what the Panthers need. The BIG WR's on the Panthers need to develop before we make anymore BIG mistakes in the draft or overpay in FA.

Posted by: CEREBRUM | Jan 25, 2008 6:44:03 PM

The perfect fit would be Bryant Johnson. He's played behind Boldin and Fitzgerald but now its his time to shine.

Posted by: Markimus | Jan 25, 2008 6:52:54 PM

Ocho Cinco would be awesome. Smitty and him use to play together at junior college. It wouldn't matter who was at QB (wait I take that back any one except Carr). I think the Panthers need some one like that to bring some atitude to the team. If the panthers are looking for a play maker then look no further than Ocho Cinco.

Posted by: Dan | Jan 25, 2008 7:34:10 PM

Is that true the Lions are looking for a 2nd round pick for Roy williams??? That's a No brainer for me......Honesly Roy is a top 10 WR in this league if you ask me. The last time this team was a threat to Run and pass the ball was when we had two! Good WR's (Mus and Smith) Since then S. Smith dominates the game or we lose! period! you can't build a franchise like that. or consistant winning....and I agree with whoever posted....the idea about management being in love with the super bowl run...which is going on 5 years ago!! At the end of the day Fox has coaches this team for 6 SEASONS! he's had 2 playoff! seasons and 4 bad ones! do the math...That's mediocore at best! (simply because he advanced to the semi finals and and SB in each trip..but the bottom line is there is no consistancy with any of his teams..he's only been a head coach with the the panthers...so..that's all we have to go off of...right now he's a avg coach no worst no better....If some would argue he's slightly below avg I wouldn't debate with that. Anyway back to WR.....

NO WAY ON EARTH! should the panthers...keep Carter! B. Berian was able to go for 800 yards or so..and 70 Catches! with Rex Grossman!?!? as his QB.....enough said he's good..but I agree he may cost to much....I mean if you are going to pay Berian 3 million a year...then you may as well make the trade for Roy Williams who you know is a pro bowl WR. also the panthers need to draft or sign some other WR late.....as Ryan Robison needs to be cut! he's a terrible Returner and proven nothing at WR..i know he hasn't had much of a chance at WR but he never will...so...let him go and play Jarrett

Posted by: Cheven | Jan 25, 2008 7:38:35 PM

Roy Williams would be nice but we have to cut some people to pick up the tab on him first. He hasnt done THAT much in DET to justify a 2nd rd. pick, maybe we can move Foster,Kemo or someone else (Jenkins - bad idea to trade him but if we are going to ...) and a low round pick for him or bundle those two together and demand a pick from DET plus Williams.

Davis would be nice because he has dual skills we can use although Robinson was coming around pretty well in the return dept towards the end of the year and I think he ought to get another year, plus he was pretty good in the open field when he got some passes from Moore. Davis was probably the most impressive of this batch you are listing from 2008.

We dont need any more "potential" guys - we have enough of them on the roster as it is, and many of them didnt have much potential when it was all said and done. Johnson would be too much of a risk for a cap strapped team like ours, we need some proven hands out there.

Hackett only played 7 games and didnt really shine like he should have, do we really need another injured WR? He came around for the playoffs but I think the risk is too great based on his health.

If we pursue a vet WR I would put the money into Berrian. Williams had the best production over the last 4 yrs but the asking price for him might be too high. Davis is likely to get tagged as Franchise and Wilford has had a drop in yards per catch avg each of the last 3 yrs, plus he has not been an impact player in the red zone, we need another playmaker if we are going to spend the money.

Posted by: Ben | Jan 25, 2008 7:42:43 PM

Yes they need to find a WR with experience and can play,But they must not let Dwayne Jarrett go,This Cat will be real affective for this team,GIVE HIM TIME,Calvin Johnson is an example of what I mean,Number one Draft,but not very affective YET,Its called (ROOKIES),But,Anyway,PANTHERS!,LETS GET THIS SHOW STARTED RIGHT!

Posted by: #1 Fan | Jan 25, 2008 8:05:04 PM

The best off season acquisition the Panthers could make in this area is a NEW WR coach. Williamson has gotten old and worn and we need new blood, someone like Kenny Lofton . Who knows if our current receivers would have shown better progress if they got better coaching. If Richardson truly wants to upgade the team, he'll get rid of some of the old guard and bring in some new ideas .

Posted by: Steve | Jan 25, 2008 8:43:37 PM

Stan and Charles (in absentia),
If you want one of those guys, who do you let go?

Posted by: Willy | Jan 25, 2008 10:16:53 PM

Michelle Procton, Good come back girl, but you did say you would take Carr if he would restructure his deal. Didn't you? I wouldn't pay Carr the league's minimum. Oh I get it, he was the once #1 overall pick and you for some reason saw promise through your glass eyes. By the way, who made you the Honorary GM anyways monkey nuts?

Posted by: SC | Jan 25, 2008 11:07:19 PM

i guess you people think the salary cap has been extended to 200 million for 2008.i will play along then since the panthers will be 100 million under the cap next season.berrian will run you about 7 million.justin gage would be good.david patten would be good.trading picks for javon walker would be good.andre davis would be good for kick returns.terrell suggs would be good.so would jamal lewis,lamont jordan and fred taylor.alan faneca would be good as well.like i said i dont know where you people think the money is coming from but i will play along.we can all day dream

Posted by: haterade dog | Jan 26, 2008 2:06:09 AM

I like Johnson....but not ocho cinco! I like Bryant Johnson. He would make a great fit! Roy Williams would be nice, but he gets bitten by the injury bug quite a bit. Colbert must go seriously, and not to change subject but foster, morgan, and trgo too!

Posted by: garron b | Jan 26, 2008 4:26:01 AM

I wish panthers sigh A.Davis from the Houston Texans because he would fix some of our problems like special teams and he could be wr#2 and i think they should try to sign a better te thats faster and can catch.

Posted by: Stan | Jan 26, 2008 11:33:15 AM

What are the odds Moose gets released from Chicago? His role in the offense diminished greatly this year, and i'm not sure about his contract, but I think he is owed a lot of money. This year was the 3rd in a 6 year deal. You know they will never keep him around for all 6 years. If this were to happen, does he have anything left in the tank to help the Panthers? Obviously, Jake and Smitty love the guy, so from a chemistry standpoint, it would work.

Posted by: Tony F'ing Rowell | Jan 26, 2008 12:03:17 PM

hey tony.i dont know about moose,but i do know one of the main factors that led him to chicago was he wanted to be back near his home.he is from michigan,amd i just think his contract might be too big to trade for him to get him back down here.i always liked moose,as did everybody else,but i think he is just getting older and it would be a mistake to bring him back for only a couple of years.in my opinion we need defensive back help,defensive line help,offensive line help,and a legit wide receiver.it sucks we cut keyshawn,and if you notice we are still paying him.he counts for like 2 million against our cap next season.a bone head move if you ask me.

Posted by: haterade dog | Jan 26, 2008 1:11:37 PM

Roy Williams

Bryant Johnson

Andre Davis

Ernest WIlford

Posted by: Matt West | Jan 26, 2008 1:26:46 PM

Tony F.R., you are the second gay that posted something about Moose. He was great for a few years with the Panthers, had one good year with the Bears. He only made the pro-bowl when nobody Knew him yet, and his contract year. I was able to look him in the eye that year (2004 minicamp) and tell that people are missing out by not swarming to get his autograph. I didn't know Steve Smith was gonna go on IR early that year, but I did know that it was his contract year, his numbers slipt the past few years and therefore his stock around the league dropped too, and he would never take a pay cut because he felt he was worth $8M/yr. with 800 yards receiving. All facts considered, I knew he was on his way out and that he had to make a splach his contract year (like so many do) to up his asking price in FR. So those of you that bash Fox for letting him get away, get a clue already!!! Yes, he has great skills... blocking, tenacity, feild presence, leadership ability, and somewhat of a clutch receiver--- but he is not worth the price-tag: and that is why Fox honored his contract until the day it expired, and then let him go in hopes of finding something cheaper to replace him (ie draft/Meshawn Jo). In retrospect, you have to admit Fox did the right thing by keeping him around even though he was overpaid (helped Steve Smith develope), and letting him go because he would never renegotiate. Now then, to answer your question Rowell, now that he is over-the-hill TOO, I wouldn't pay him minimum wage.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 26, 2008 1:31:48 PM