« Pinpointing Panthers' priorities | Main | Some receivers Panthers should consider »

January 25, 2008

Welcome back, Charles Chandler

The Observer's Charles Chandler, who has spent the last half-dozen years as an investigative reporter, is returning once more to something he knows and loves. Chandler is saddling up and jumping back onto the Panthers' beat, which he so ably covered from the team's first season in 1995 through 2001.  He fills the slot vacated by Pat Yasinskas, who has moved on to ESPN.com.

Charles, who won a North Carolina Press Award for his work on a number of Panthers' involvement with steroids in 2007, knows the league backwards and forwards and has loads of longtime contacts. Football is his passion, and you'll see that in his work. Join me in welcoming him back, and expect to see him blogging here with me before long. He'll be at the Super Bowl next week while I take a little R&R.
Welcome back, CC!

-- Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on January 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

Comments

So, to be clear then, reporting headcount has shrunk by one?

Posted by: JAT | Jan 25, 2008 12:05:35 PM

At the moment, yes. But we intend to use more resources on the Panthers than in the past, give up other things. My hope is that the job will be filled when the economy improves. Newspapers are subject to the same economic pressures as other businesses.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jan 25, 2008 12:29:37 PM

Welcome Charles. Here's hoping you get to report on a Panther's Superbowl Championship season this year!!

Posted by: Matt West | Jan 25, 2008 12:46:33 PM

Welcome Charles, I hope you are a Objective! journalist. In the past Area journalist tend to be "Homer writers" and take the "We are the world" approach when covering the panthers. Or the, "I'll just regergitate whatever Fox/hurney say to me concerning the team" That happens a lot too as I guess some writers don't want to get 8 balled from those two but at the same time you've got to tell it like it is...if Fox/hurney/Richardson made a BAD move! then call it what it is a bad move! same with Richardson...If someone should be fired they should be fired! (in your opinion) If Deshawn Foster is the Worst Starting RB in the NFL then WRITE IT! A problem I have with this organization (Panthers) and the way they are covered by the national media (CBS,HBO,ESPN, ect) Is THEY DONT WATCH THE PANTHERS PLAY EVER! and make uninformed statements about the team all the time. Some of them Have NEVER seen a panther game that wasn't on national T.V. (or watched film on panthers) b4 addressing the teams issues on national T.V. Marcelus Wiley of espn....Recently said after the season ended that "Deshawn Foster is a core guy that you can build a franshise around along with S. Smith" Yes He said that....I know it's unbelieavable.....but yes.....the last time he saw foster play may have been in 2003 vs the Eagles....I hear Comentators...(even this year) talk about The AMAZING front 4 and Run game the panthers have even though They were ranked near the bottom of the league in both categories...So I welcome....some new blood to cover this team and I am Glad Pat Y. Is over at ESPN now so he can inform some of his co-workers...about their "dated" opinions about this football organization and Fox whom many still say Fox is an Elite Coach in the NFL! and the next Parcels....or something...which is hilarious....anyway I am venting....about the coverage I will stop there.....welcome my friend.....

Posted by: Cheven | Jan 25, 2008 3:10:26 PM

Mr. Chandler,
When you read this board, it will be a matter of seconds before your first report is greeted with a solid round of calling you an idiot. I hope you are not thin-skinned.

Maybe you could start with an interview with Mark Richardson, the heir to the throne. Details about his involvement and where he intends to take the Panthers with the NFL Network would be interesting.

To Mr. Persinger, I don't envy your job. Balancing budget cuts is a hard thing to do.

To Michael Procton, would you please research everything Charles Chandler has ever written about the Panthers and prepare a comparitive analysis on his degree of accuracy? Or, go on a date.

Posted by: Willy | Jan 25, 2008 4:16:19 PM

I don't think anyone in the field of journalism is thin-skinned. I am sure he will be ready. I have no problem with someone disagree'n with me....as long as they can support their claim with numbers!! They are not everything true but they do matter a LOT! I can't stand this..."Player XYZ is really good" the reason being???
omm......Because Fox said he was.....lol lol yeah sure that's a good reason.....

In so many words I've heard this Rhetoric before.

Posted by: Cheven | Jan 25, 2008 5:15:38 PM

Welcome back Charles. Sounds like a TV show.

We just want as much important info as you can provide on the team.

I know Fox is like his name and quite evasive when giving info but give us the inside scoop anyway. As long as it doesn't hurt the team bring it on.

Like Cheven wrote, "Keep It Real!"

Posted by: CEREBRUM | Jan 25, 2008 6:25:14 PM

An expose' on the Panthers is probably not the quickest way to engender yourself to the Richardson's. Hopefully, you can develop a close enough relationship to convince him to break at least 50% of his comments to the local media first.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 25, 2008 9:20:41 PM

Mike:

Thanks for the straight info. Your readers value that. However, I fear 08 will be a bumpy year economically given the real estate correction. Best of luck to you and your hard-working crew.

Posted by: JAT | Jan 25, 2008 9:41:01 PM

I Remember Charles Chandler. Welcome back. Please don't be biased toward everything you report and post material that only reinforce your personal agenda like some others do (like Pat Yastinskas). Good luck and I will be looking forward to it.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 26, 2008 1:26:13 AM

Dearest Charles,

Let me say as a former fellow beat writer in san diego, the sky is the limit! Look at me. I was once a gopher for bobby bethard and now I am a gm in the nfl(well sort of, I dont call myself that, only daddy jerry calls me that). Best case you end up in a front office as a "cap wizard". Then you can make bad picks like eric shelton and stefan lefors and bruce nelson like me. Good luck buddy and aim high!

XOXO

Martin W Hurney Esquire

Posted by: martin w hurney esquire | Jan 26, 2008 7:30:20 PM

You might have a shot to make great pickups like Jordan Gross, Richard Marshall, Jon Beason, Mike Wahle, or Jake Delhomme, though, Chris, so do your best. Either way, you're certainly better off than someone whose best efforts in life include anonymous mocking of someone they don't know on a message board

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 26, 2008 7:43:09 PM

Excuse me, I just became a Michael Procton fan. I couldn't have said it better.

Posted by: Daddy Jerry | Jan 26, 2008 7:59:20 PM

Excuse me, I just became a Michael Procton fan. I couldn't have said it better.

Posted by: Daddy Jerry | Jan 26, 2008 8:03:49 PM

Procton, shut up! You are not a Carolina fan!!! Go back to California

Posted by: SC | Jan 26, 2008 9:58:27 PM

Excuse me? I've been a Panthers fan since the first season. Beyond that, I've only even BEEN to California a grand total of once in my life, so I don't know where the hell you got that crap from. If you're going to try to trash me, you might think about the principles of logic and rationality (although I'd bet you come up plenty short on each.)

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 26, 2008 11:44:32 PM

Eyes be fo real up her in dis be-atch. keep it fo sheezy charlie boy, just like eye be is doin up in dis peace. When eye leave dis jail fa show, you beta axe somebody about gettin da story on my comeback foo. why come you dont axe me fo a tryout wiff da pantherz, hola back. oh maybe I can walk yo dogs ah-right. sssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiitttt

Posted by: ronald mexico | Jan 27, 2008 4:15:26 PM

I got a ? for who ever wants to answer. Think bout the guys we have let go over the years. Guys like Will Witherspoon, Marlon McCree, Deon Grant, just to name a few. What if we could have keep these guys. How would we be doing now? These guys play positions that we need help with now. We got to start making better decisions with personal. What do my fellow Panther brothers think?

Posted by: eg | Jan 31, 2008 1:53:35 PM

We'd be lacking in other areas, because we'd be overpaying guys whose production doesn't come close to matching their salary.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 31, 2008 6:23:24 PM