« Some pros and cons of signing Muhammad | Main | Franchise tag less rare in rest of NFL »

February 22, 2008

Crumpler update, more thoughts on Muhammad

The Panthers weren’t among the teams that former Atlanta tight end Alge Crumpler met with – or even called – on Friday. The word in Indianapolis was that Crumpler’s price tag was too high for the Panthers’ liking, especially given the questionable condition of his knees.

It now looks like the chances are much greater of Carolina reaching a deal with receiver Muhsin Muhammad, cut recently by Chicago, than with Crumpler.

Speaking of Muhammad, here’s a quick response to the blog my pal Stan posted earlier:

Muhammad is definitely worth signing for the Panthers. He’s not yet over the hill. He’s diminished stats last season were partly due to the fact that the Bears struggled as a team, especially at the quarterback position. He never was a speed burner, so Muhammad at 35 might not be dramatically different from Muhammad at 32.

But, if you’re waiting for Moose to give Carolina a home-town discount, don’t hold your breath. He’s a shrewd businessman. It’ll be interesting to see whether this match gets made. Sure looks like it’d be a positive for both sides, though.

CHARLES CHANDLER

Posted by Observer Sports on February 22, 2008 at 06:35 PM | Permalink

Comments

You say he'd be a shrewd business man but the thing is he has real good friends here in Carolina, his family is here, and he's obviously familiar with Fox. Crumpler...it would of been good to have him but oh well..our TE's are good and will probably get better. I hope we can get Moose back

Posted by: Dustin | Feb 22, 2008 8:05:12 PM

Fantastic news about Crumpler; thats one less aging cap burden off the radar. As for Moose, I smell San Fran, Tennessee, or New England in his future...

Posted by: Steve-o | Feb 22, 2008 8:11:25 PM

Why not think about the other Chicago receiver, Bernard Berian?? He's a younger receiver who has shown that he can be a great receiver and one who could really compliment Steve Smith well. We need to not look in the past but rather in the future and while Moose was a great receiver in his time, he's the past and we need to build on the future.

Posted by: Dan | Feb 22, 2008 8:21:29 PM

The Carolina Growl has said something diffrent or I might have misred it. We will see what happen, but I still think the Panthers are Intrest in Alge they 're just keeping quite so when the time is right they will pick him up.

Posted by: telling it like it is | Feb 22, 2008 9:43:26 PM

Also Herald said diffrent to about the Alge report.

Posted by: telling it like it is | Feb 22, 2008 10:03:50 PM

Maybe Alge Crumpler (what a name) wanted to save the Panthers for last. If he can't get a good contract somewhere else, then why not play for the home team at a lesser rate. Why else would he name all those teams as being interested in him and try to get a leg up on the competition (other FA's) by not waiting and going to the combine for interviews. Punks like him make me wanna vommit. They are the type that give free agency and the NFL a bad name. Hope we don't sign him after all, even at minimum wage!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Feb 23, 2008 12:36:49 AM

i'd much rather have donte stallworth than moose at this point. it's true they are trying to get back to the type of team they were in 2003, but let's not go overboard and try to rebuild the whole thing literally. moose would be good as a #3 receiver, but then what about jarrett and robinson. where do they fit at that point? i could live with a lineup that included smitty, stallworth, and moose with jarrett and robinson but what i'd really like is for jarrett to live up to his potential.

Posted by: Matt A | Feb 23, 2008 2:18:39 AM

Moose is OLD (O-L-D) for a receiver. Sure, he knows the offense and has the Carolina connection, but in every other city, he's just a guy. Who is OLD. Every board I read seems to imply Moose is Carolina's Randy Moss. He will be paid above veteran minimum (with two pro bowls on his resume'), of course, but not buckets of money. He's a one-year, two at best signing.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 23, 2008 8:52:59 AM

Don't undesrestimate Moosse!!!! Everything went downhill when he left!!

GET MOOSE !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Helene Stahl | Feb 23, 2008 10:33:13 AM

Actually, the year after he left, Carolina went to the NFC championship game. I tend to agree that he's not going to be the same guy he was before, and you don't sign guys based on sentiment. But he does have a lot he could teach Jarrett if he'll take a modest contract. Not sure he'll do that, though....

Posted by: stan olson | Feb 23, 2008 11:08:50 AM

Key words its more likely we get Moose then Alge, so that means we still can end up signing Alge.Also I agree we should take Stallworth if we get moose or Javon Walker we need to get another reciever who can play for us at least 4-5 years at the least.I'm in favor of watching Michel Turner play on the Carolina Panthers. I just want to know how much cap space do the Panthers have since many website say they have plenty of money how much is that?

Posted by: NFC | Feb 23, 2008 11:17:37 AM

are stallworth and berrian available? and affordalbe? one of those two would be great as number 2. and i think jarett or rayne should get one more year as a number 3 to see what he can do...i mean we've been carrying carter and kolbert for so long. we can drop those two and give jarret a couple more chances. if moose comes cheap he can b ricky proehl and maybe teach jarret. crumler would ok if he came cheap but dont really need him i the TEs we have. what are some other receivers that we can realistically look at w/ the salary cap...since we need to get a rb too.

Posted by: mgs | Feb 23, 2008 1:04:33 PM

So much for the panthers being willing to spend money in the off season. Sounds like they are going to try and bring in a bunch of bargain basement guys. They didn't even examine Alge's knee's they just decided he was too expensive and passed, not a good sign for things to come.

Posted by: jbw | Feb 23, 2008 1:16:26 PM

For cryin out loud...free agency hasn't even started yet, and people are already calling the front office cheap. Seriously, I doubt anybody is gonna pay Crumpler the $4million a year that he's asking for...especially not until he can pass a physical.

How about we just wait and see what happens before we start complaining?

Posted by: Monstercat | Feb 23, 2008 1:58:32 PM

Monstercat I agree with you all the way wait and see what happen when free agency comes along ,and Alge Crumpler is still in the Panthers plans for this free agency ,people calm down be patient the Panthers are going to spend they have no choice they don't want to see what happen to them last year happen again.

Posted by: Pcat | Feb 23, 2008 2:14:17 PM

Why does everyone keep saying Moose knows the offense? Sure he knows Delhomme and Fox, but in case you guys forgot we got a new offensive coordinator last year. Moose is familiar with our offensive system, but he does not "know" our offense. And for that matter, I don't think it really even matters if a veteran receiver knows the offense, by the time they go through training camp they will.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 23, 2008 3:55:01 PM

Crumpler would be a big mistake. His knees are shot and he wants to much money. Does the name Chuck Smith ring a bell? Our tight ends are competent and Rosario shows great promise. Our biggest target should be Turner. He could turn this team around along with Williams. Draft a stud left tackle and we are good to go. I would like to have Moose back for a one or two year encore but not if he wants too much money.

Posted by: James Reed | Feb 23, 2008 7:22:27 PM

The Herald just reported that the Panthers really did'nt lose intest in him they just first want him to take a phsical before they offer him anything they also don't want to get into a bidding war,so is the chance of getting Alge less now? I don't know but one thing there is still a chanceand that what matter.

Posted by: telling it like it is | Feb 23, 2008 10:19:24 PM

I don't know if you guys have been watching or not, but it's hella quality OTs and versatile OGs in this years draft. That's why I think we're going to fill the starting LT thru FA, trade down for a lower 1st round pick and another 2nd round (just like last year) and draft a stud HB with our first pick (Mendenhall or Stewart being that McFadden will almost more than likely be off the board by the end of the 1st round) and then we can draft a DE or DT and an OT in the 2nd round. Foxy clearly said that the last 1,000 yd rusher (S. Davis) took us to the Super Bowl. We all know our philosophy is run the ball and stop the run. I truly believe that D. Williams can do it...especially if we pair him with a stud like Mendenhall or Stewart. We don't necessarily need a BIG BRUISING BACK in our offense. We need tough, athletic backs that can find a hole and explode through it (see Jacksonville). Now...if we can somehow steal the guy from WVU..Schmitt..in the later rounds that would be MARVELOUS.

Now on to this WR situation. I don't care what anybody says...Moose will be a Panther next season. I don't give a f*ck what anybody says about age. If you give a competitor like Moose the opportunity to win a championship in the twilight of his career...he will produce. Ask Favre, ask Seau, ask Strahan...And yes, in my eyes Moose is in their category. If we could've worked out a deal after the '03 season and brought Moose back we would've had that ring in '05...no doubt in my mind. If we had Moose that season, no way we lose to Seattle and we smash Pittsburgh cuz their secondary was suspect.

But it doesn't stop at Moose. I'm all for Berrian and/or Dante Stallworth too. I think Dante would be a better fit because he can block downfield as well as catch the rock. But there is ONE GUY on the roster that I think alot of people are sleeping on. Do your research on Travis Taylor...we scooped him from Minnesota and from what I've seen, he has hands just didn't have much of a passing attack with the Vikings and Baltimore, I think a we're going to have a competitive camp next year. Our only other glaring positions are DE, DT (maybe), and S...all of which we can address in FA and provide depth with in the draft.

We are going to have a very solid team next year. From top to bottom. I just hope that this breath of fresh air continues thru the coaching staff and their techniques and game planning...

**Thanking God for J. Richardson threatening to fire Fox and Hurney***

Posted by: Styles | Feb 23, 2008 10:21:15 PM

Muhammad being able to teach Jarrett some things...sounds familiar Stan. Worked out well keeping Keyshawn around to do that. Furthermore, if Richard Williamson is that bad that Fox has to rely on old players to teach young players the game then Williamson should be fired immediately. And Fox is an idiot for having him on staff.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 24, 2008 12:49:50 AM

It's ludicrous to think that the Panthers even considered Alge DUMPler in the first place. He's old with bad knees, enough said. And forget about Muhammad. There's a man named Keary Colbert on this team that is about to shine. Go ahead and write down comeback player of the year and pro bowl for him. As I've said before he is a more than capable #2 WR, and dare I say he could one day replace Steve Smith as the #1.
Also, there's a reason David Carr is still on this team. He's the well deserved starting QB is Jake isn't ready. You know what that means? Matt Moore is the odd man out and should be cut in training camp. There is a reason he didn't get drafted last year you fools.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 24, 2008 8:24:23 AM

That's dumb Procton.

Posted by: Pete | Feb 24, 2008 8:29:21 AM

That can't really be procton. Somebody is putting his name down. For you to be going on the radio or whatever show it was that you were hyping on these boards, you are an idiot if that really is you posting.

Posted by: Clay | Feb 24, 2008 11:16:19 AM

No...wasn't me. Crumpler WAS a stupid idea, and Muhammad isn't going to come cheap enough to be worth it. As I've said, I wouldn't mind Colbert back at <$1 mil, but I don't expect him to shine by any means. I think he could still hit 400-500 yds and 3-4 TDs, though. I also would welcome Carr back if he restructures and we're able to improve our o-line; if he shows he's capable of holding down a roster spot, then we look at the progress of Basanez and Moore. If you think you can sneak one of them down to the practice squad (I'm sure Basanez still has eligibility), do that, otherwise, see which one has more trade value. Moore's success had far more to do with the performance of the o-line in the last few games than anything he actually did (see how much he struggled when Dallas actually got some pressure on him); by no means do I consider him untouchable. I wouldn't really want him to be the #2 on a playoff team, particularly with the uncertainty of Jake's elbow.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 24, 2008 2:07:00 PM

I see what your saying Procton about the playoff thing (if we go), but i just don't think Carr is a good QB....for ANYONE..if not Jake we need to consider another QB because other than Moore i really don't like our quarterbacks

Posted by: Dustin | Feb 24, 2008 3:54:06 PM