« Insider thinks Moss could be a Panther | Main | Jets a possible landing spot for Jenkins »

February 28, 2008

Deals stretch Panthers' cap space

The recent restructuring of the contracts of cornerback Ken Lucas and defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu saved the Panthers more than $3.5 million under the salary cap. By converting some of their base salaries into guaranteed money to pro-rate forward, and by guaranteeing roster bonuses to also pro-rate, the Panthers were able to lower Lucas' 2008 cap number by $2 million and Kemoeatu's by slightly more than $1.5 million.

The extra cap room helped as they re-signed some of their own players and now as they enter the free agency signing period.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on February 28, 2008 at 02:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

Hey Charles,
How much do you think the Panthers have in
salary cap space as of now?

Posted by: Dano | Feb 28, 2008 2:47:33 PM

What is our asking price for Jenkins? Any facts or speculation?

Posted by: Will Parker | Feb 28, 2008 2:53:59 PM

Cutting Morgan and Wahle saved them $5M, cutting Foster saved them $4.75M, cutting Carr saved them $2M, restructuring Lucas and Kemo saved them $3.5, Peppers failure to make the Pro Bowl will save them $1.5, the BS contracts of two players saved them $7M. All this is well and good but HOW MUCH ROOM DO THEY HAVE????

Posted by: LeeL | Feb 28, 2008 2:54:51 PM

Everybody has a mock draft in mind. Here's the way I think the Panthers should get the draft started:
Trade up w/ KC to #5 and get RB Darren McFadden (if he's still on the board)
give them our our pick at #13 and next year's 2nd rounder.

In the 2nd round, get OT Gosder Cherilus
Trade up in the 3rd and take QB Joe Flacco (give Miami our 3rd and 4th for their 3rd)
In the 5th take Safety Jamie Silva

Find a quality DE in free agency.

Just my 2 cents~~~~~

Posted by: D-Mac Attack | Feb 28, 2008 2:55:21 PM

D-Mac, Learn something about the draft before you do a mock draft. KC would never give up the 5th pick for the 13th and next year's 2nd rd pick. And we don't have a 5th rd pick.

Posted by: Billy | Feb 28, 2008 2:59:26 PM

And to add with Billy's comments, we dont need Joe Flacco and not Jamie Silva. We have two young QB's who show promise and we need a Free Safety..one who can go sideline to sideline with speed and is a ball hawk. Silva is more of a John Lynch type of Strong Safety..hit you in the mouth and will catch a interception if he is in the right place at the right time.

Posted by: JV | Feb 28, 2008 3:04:01 PM

Yea, that was a bad Mock draft.The only thing that could have made it worse was drafting a FB in the second or third Round.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Feb 28, 2008 3:04:47 PM

What do you think of bringing back Marlon McCree, rumor is he will be released from the Bolts. I was one of the 1st to say Michael Turner but I'm starting to change my mind. Maybe we 2nd round for RB, also, I heard that Jenkins could be a jet next year for either thier LB or NT. What do you think?

Posted by: rawjem | Feb 28, 2008 3:14:40 PM

Hello all!

Here's what I'd like to see the Panthers do...
1. See if Julius Jones would be a viable option to come to Carolina.
2. If no JJ then use our 1st pick on an offensive lineman like J. Otah of Pitt.
3. Find a DE in the second round
4. Find a RB in the third round
5. find backups in other areas in the later round.

I'd also like to se if the Panthers can test the waters and find a decent backup QB or draft a future one now. One other thing M. McCree would be a good idea, we should have let Moose and Mc Cree go in the first place. As for QB, if Jake falls again i hope Moore an Basnez are better than avareage QB.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 28, 2008 3:32:40 PM

Hello all1

Typing error, we should not have let Moose and McCree go and one other thing, we need more passion from everyone this time from start of training camp to the last game.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 28, 2008 3:35:41 PM

First round: Jeff Otah at tackle.

2nd round: Jonathan Stewart at RB

Trade Kris Jenkins for a 2nd round pick and get a free safety.

3rd round: Defensive End

4th round: Owen Schmitt from WV. Hoover's career is almost over and Schmitt would be a tremendous upgrade.

Get another wide receiver through free agency (Bryant Johnson, Stallworth, etc.)

Posted by: ZZ | Feb 28, 2008 3:53:57 PM

Jonathan Stewart in the 2nd round? why not Chris Long in the 3rd?

Posted by: john | Feb 28, 2008 4:05:40 PM

Vernon Gholston

Posted by: mattdaddy | Feb 28, 2008 4:11:51 PM

I've read that the Panthers have been talking to the Jets about getting Vilma for Jenkins. I like that deal becuase Vilma would bring a lot, he or Beason could move to the outside and we would have 3 quick LBs. (I found the article on espn on the panthers page under the local stories)

Posted by: tarheelmax | Feb 28, 2008 4:17:51 PM

John,

You may want to read SportingNews.com. They have Jonathan Stewart projected as a mid 2nd round prospect.

Posted by: ZZ | Feb 28, 2008 4:31:38 PM

Oh right ZZ, Sporting News is the know-all authority on the NFL Draft. Stewarts probably more like a mid 1st rounder. Saying he's a mid 2nd rounder is like those idiots who speculate McFadden will fall out of the top 5. Not gonna happen! Really, none of these mock draft publications are worth a darn. They can't take draft-day trades into consideration, which greatly impacts the way the picks end up falling.

Oh yeah and unless we trade up, Gholston will be long gone before our pick...

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Feb 28, 2008 5:17:14 PM

We should get Marlon McCree for that FS position that we have a need for. No one wants him otherwise everyone would not have cut him, but he is a good player. He had his best season as a Panther and he is only seven years into the league. Good pickup for little money!

Posted by: Panthers2003 | Feb 28, 2008 6:28:43 PM

I trust Sporting News much more than the nasty sarcastic Know-It-Alls that troll these message boards.

Posted by: ZZ | Feb 28, 2008 6:33:30 PM

ooh you got me bud. I'm a total troll. ;) But for real...that's just my opinion on mock drafts, you can live by what Sporting News tells you if you so desire. Just don't be shocked when they're wrong about 90% of the picks on draft day.

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Feb 28, 2008 6:53:15 PM

Jeff Otah is a reach at the 13th pick, his skills ARE LACKING FOR THE FIRST DAY START..Clady will be gone at 12 so Baker or the Kid from Vandy is better if we have to draft and start a rookie TACKLE.

Posted by: YourIdiots | Feb 28, 2008 7:24:06 PM

New on my Panthers wish list: there's no better way to quickly improve your power running game than signing bruiser fullback Lorenzo Neal (newly free Lorenzo Neal, that is.)

Posted by: Brendan | Feb 28, 2008 7:35:27 PM

Congrats Stan, your previous post regarding Moss made it all the way to profootballtalk.com

Posted by: m | Feb 28, 2008 7:49:34 PM

I'd like the opportunity to retract previous statements. I was one of those that questioned the resigning of the Moose. When he left for the Bears, I breathed a sigh of relief becuase of his off-the-field issues that were contrary to what the Panther organization was trying to establish at the time. I also didn't care for the way Moose demanded ludicrous amounts of money when the team was already salary cap strapped. Now then, when I found out he wanted to resign with the cats at the age of 34 after being cut, well, I was a bit concerned (and vocal about it) to say the least. However, after watching his presser on Panthers.com I can see the error in my ways. The things in Moose's past are obviously "water over the damn." By the way, I'm not familiar with that expression. What did Moose mean by that?

Posted by: SYRPIS | Feb 28, 2008 8:39:34 PM

And Charles Chandler--- If do you mind telling us why converting these contracts in this fashion is beneficial other than the immediate cap space implications. What are the good/bad long term implications with that? Thanks.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Feb 28, 2008 8:43:52 PM

Chuck Chandler doesn't read/respond to blog posts, he's too good for that and above it. Stan is rare in that he actually takes the time and consideration to do it.

Posted by: izzo | Feb 29, 2008 8:41:22 AM