« Gross would like some stability | Main | Franchise tags for other positions »

February 19, 2008

Hurney: Gross to get franchise tag on Wednesday

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said early Tuesday evening that the team planned to place the franchise tag on tackle Jordan Gross on Wednesday.

"We tried to get a multi-year (deal) done, but we can’t seem to come together at this point," said Hurney.

By tagging Gross, the Panthers will automatically offer him a one-year salary of $7.45. million, the average of the top five highest paid offensive linemen in 2007.

The tag protects the Panthers from losing Gross in free agency starting Feb. 29. Other teams can still sign him to an offer sheet, but the Panthers will have the right to match or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

CHARLES CHANDLER

Posted by Observer Sports on February 19, 2008 at 06:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

Thanks for the great coverage!

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 19, 2008 8:44:25 PM

!#ck that prick he can't come to a long term deal. I hope someone else offers him and has to give us 2 1st round picks for his sorry ass!!! He is an average RT he is no J.Runyan. If he wanted stability so bad I'm sure he could of had it.

Posted by: notbuyingjgross | Feb 19, 2008 10:36:34 PM

wow sounds like somebody's bitter...you had to see this coming. Gross is a good player, and there's no way anyone would give up 2 1st round picks for him.

Posted by: JPanther | Feb 19, 2008 11:22:38 PM

The Panthers are buying more time, switch to decaf notbuyinggross and try to grow up a little. Gross has made it clear that he wants to stay here, they just need a little more time to iron out the wrinkles.

Posted by: John | Feb 19, 2008 11:28:16 PM

I agree For us to tag him means This jerk wouldn't take 7 to 8 mill a year..who does he think he is....Let me remind him and everyone GROSS IS A GOOD pass protection Tackle (on the right side) He is Avg vs "run blocking" and I am being nice by saying that....why pay a guy that much $ and you can't run of his seal blocking? Because he CANT RUN BLOCK!! tell him to Seal a Pro bowl End.....on a blast....or Dislodge a DE and then pancake the OLB...on a sweep....Then he can get big $$$ Gross is a good Tackle NOT! a "All pro tacklE) HE HAS NEVER!!! Went to a pro bowl and never will because he can't run block! I don't want to let him go....but no way i'd pay him more than I would Max Starks or Flozel....regardless of age...flozel will give us 3 pro bowl years at tackle...and gross will give us 0!! I'd give Flozel and Max Starks (who can play 4 different positions on the line) and see if they will bite...(not to mention Max STarks is younger! at 25 and bigger and stronger and more importantly meaner! he's not a "Fitness" blocker like Gross......

I understand why the fran. him but I hope they explored the other options but knowing our history of stupid! loyalty.im sure we didnt.

Posted by: Cheven | Feb 20, 2008 8:37:11 AM

Thank you for you direct link to the negotiation process, Cheven. I'm glad to know we have a fan representative as these contracts are hammered out. Since you know what the Panthers offered money-wise, how much was guaranteed? How long was the deal? I'm also glad you know that Gross is going to be more expensive than Adams or Starks. It's not like they're the best two LTs on the market or anything.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 20, 2008 12:02:33 PM

I just beleive in order to get paid the avg. of the top 5 OL in the league. You need to be as good as the top 5 OL in the league. Jordan Gross is not!!! I think he is very good & don't get me wrong I WANT HIM TO STAY WITH THE PANTHERS. I just don't think he is worth the money as the top 5 OL in the league. I would rather put that money in a LEFT Tackle. Gross is an avg. at best left tackle!!!! Procton shut your manpleaser for 1 day. You get on my nerves!!You act like you know everything. Do you even have a job are is mommy still tucking you in every night.

Posted by: notbuyingjgross | Feb 20, 2008 4:43:56 PM

Two free agents the Panthers should consider are S Dwight Smith and WR Jerry Porter. Both are solid players and Porter has the potential to be a solid number 2WR. These are 2 guys no one is talking about and both are solid veterans.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 20, 2008 6:58:00 PM

Porter is a sleeper a coma, Earnest Wolford big target youth has some speed and amazingly good hands for a Jaguar reciever. Porter cant stay healthy, as for a safety thats not our problem we need to be more aggresive in our secondary dropping them back to the stoneage in coverage isnt getting it done.

Posted by: geno | Feb 20, 2008 7:47:28 PM

I agree with the naysayers on Gross. Too many false starts and allows opponents to reach around and cause fumbles too often. I also agree that he isn't exactly blowing people off of the line and getting to the second level for run support like he should. Just the same, he is definately good, and valuable since he can play either side, but not a top five OT.
That Being said, the Panther organization have now committed themselves and have give the Gross camp the upper hand in negotiations. Like Gross said, either way he is going to get paid. I personally think there are too many OT's in this year's draft to commit too much money into on OL. I would love to see a trade for a 1st and second rounder, pick up two OT's in the first round of the draft, and still have the opportunity to draft a S, RB and/or WR in the second round.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Feb 20, 2008 8:04:05 PM

No brainer for the front office. To suggest that Gross should take less then market value for a long term deal doesn't make sense - he'd prefer $7.45 mil to maybe $20 mil guaranteed? This is just regular NFL process...

Posted by: Matt Snyder | Feb 20, 2008 10:16:28 PM