« Details on picks from Jenkins trade | Main | Panthers to be methodical in free agency »

February 29, 2008

It's official: Jenkins gone for picks

Shortly before 3 p.m. today, the Panthers officially announced the Kris Jenkins trade.

The team release said it was for undisclosed draft picks, but multiple sources have said Carolina receives the Jets' third- and fifth-round picks in this year's draft.

The release include the following quotes from general manager Marty Hurney and coach John Fox.

Hurney: "We've had several conversations with Kris over the last couple years and decided this was the right time for both parties to move in this direction. Kris has been a valuable member of our team the last seven years and we appreciate everything he has done for us and wish h im the best."

Fox: "Kris has played a valuable role since our coaching staff arrived (in 2002). He showed determination in coming back the last two seasons after injuries to be a mainstay of our defense. We hope only the very best for Kris."

Jenkins, a three-time Pro Bowler with the Panthers, agreed to a new five-year, $35 million contract with the Jets, which included $20 million guaranteed.

The Panthers cleared $3 million in salary cap room by making the trade, including a $1 million roster bonus that was due in the next few days.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 29, 2008 at 03:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

This is B.S., Jenkins was worth more than a 3rd and a 5th,bad move.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Feb 29, 2008 3:22:57 PM

Good move! Who the hell wants a player that does not want to be here???

Posted by: Scott Hinson | Feb 29, 2008 3:36:32 PM

Why did the team deal away one of
their best defensive lineman? Unlike many of his teammates, at least Jenkins showed some heart during games last year! Was Jenkins THAT unhappy here? If so, why?

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 29, 2008 3:41:09 PM

I'm with Sparta, but definately not a Spartan.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Feb 29, 2008 3:45:18 PM

BTW, Kevin, you are obviously unaware of the regular going ons of the Panther organization. And even though I agree "Big Kid" should have been traded for more value, but I'm not ready to hang Fox yet... especially when they are doing exactly what all you nay-sayers have been calling for. I would also be ready to dump the guy at any cost, especially with a roster bonus coming up. Ce la vi! BTW, how did the news of the Panther urgency to dump him due to his bonus get out?? Do you think that gave the Jets an upper hand in negotioations? It's simple math to me.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Feb 29, 2008 3:49:36 PM

As badly as I wanted the Panthers to get a little more for Jenkins, I think this deal was the best they were gonna get. At least they traded him out of conference so we won't see him unless we play the AFC East. I hope (key word: hope) that Hurney and Fox use the draft picks received to get some solid talent.

Posted by: JPanther | Feb 29, 2008 3:54:33 PM

It is actually "C'est la vie", and is French phrase meaning "That's life."

Posted by: French101 | Feb 29, 2008 3:57:00 PM

It was evident we where going to trade Jenk this season after he put one of his houses up for sale,that is when the team informed him much of the same way they did Foster that they where going in another direction.The thing is however is that if they would have done it last season they would have recieved better value with the 2nd round pick as well as a 5th.I just believe that they could have got equal value this year and at the very least a second out of one of the best DT in the NFL.I am now prepared to see a "CupCake" defensive line for the Panthers this year and if you thought Peppers had a tough year last year,wait until this coming season.(Here's hoping for the best however.)

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Feb 29, 2008 4:03:08 PM

Ghost, as I recall no team offered the Panthers a 2nd roun pick last year for Jenkins, but if you say so then provide a link.

And if Randy Moss can only garner a 4th round pick, what on earth would make you believe that Jenkins is worth a second?

Posted by: m | Feb 29, 2008 4:06:51 PM

If yall remember steve smith was a 3rd round. and we have and early 3rd as well. we now have a 1,2,3,3,4,5,5,6,7 thats now 7 players comming in. This leaves us with a lot of choices. But carolina needs to stop worrying and stop worrying about money. We can not be worried. I love fox to death and bellieve he is an amazing player. But I believe 1 more great linebacker would be a great upgrade. I will miss jenkins but we should have attempted to get nyj 1st. Someone Carolina should look at is the other camartie(the chargers cb 2nd cousin.) But we were terriable against the rin this year. We need to stop going for that one year superbowl appearance and get like a reggie wayne and marvin harrison. You to have playmakers to make stuff happen. You might say steve smith any 5'9 reciver that double teams has trouble! We need rebuild the fox line which was so fast it seemed like they were offsides everyplay because they were always in your backfield!We need to get a playmaker and if he doesnt produce we can blaim him. Like Cinnanatti did to chad johnson. We also need a better punt team. And put smith back at KR and PR. We need to make deals for bigger players. Also It can be true that a team can play better at night! Daytime is not for carolina! Steve if you can get this to fox please!

Posted by: Panthersfan90 | Feb 29, 2008 4:20:55 PM

"The Rams reportedly indicated to the Panthers close to the draft that they'd be willing to trade second- and late-round picks for Kris Jenkins."
There is a link to the source (an Observer article), but it's gone dead.

While we didn't get anywhere NEAR enough for Jenkins, here's an interesting option: is there any chance Jordan Carstens is healthy enough to come back and be a decent rotation option? He didn't even embarrass himself when he started in '05, and while his game is sure to have fallen off some since then, he could be an affordable option, and he knows the defense.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 29, 2008 4:23:07 PM

No, jackass, we don't have two fifth rounders...if you may recall, we traded one for this guy named Chris Harris who played pretty well on the defense this year. Further, I don't know how the 9 picks you list could lead you to conclude that "thats now 7 players comming (sic) in." Another note...we were "terrible" enough against the run to rank FOURTH IN THE NFL in YPA against. It saddens me to have to attack someone of your limited mental stature, but when you're factually wrong (and not to mention unreadable) that often, it must be done.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 29, 2008 4:28:18 PM

It was the rams trade from last year,but like the Proctolgist said the link is dead.That was the trade I was speaking of,even though you have to look at this years draft class and say it is alot deeper with what the Panthers needs are,So hopefully it will work out.I just believe in my opinion that Jenkins was worth a 2nd and possibly a 5th or 6th. Hell a 2nd and a 7th would have been decent as well because the first 2 rounds are loaded.Espically where the Jets pick.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Feb 29, 2008 4:28:18 PM

Guys, I believe a second was definitely involved, it was the Rams and there may have been a fifth or sixth. Of course, Kris was a year younger...

Posted by: stan olson | Feb 29, 2008 4:43:02 PM

GREAT MOVE! Jenkins best days are behind him and we're lucky to get a 3rd and a 5th for him. Time to get rid of the dead wood and move on.

Posted by: Riptide | Feb 29, 2008 5:00:18 PM

Who cares about the rams the deal did not happen. If the picks produce it is a good trade. Jenkins played hard but his stats were not 2nd round material. The rich NY food will be good for him

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 29, 2008 5:14:04 PM

Jenk was always overweight, and had some off the field problems(Glunk Glunk Glunk), he has been very sluggish in recent years, since his shoulder sugery and other surgeries. This was the best thing for the team, If we can land Faneca or someone of the likes.

Posted by: Romperstomper | Feb 29, 2008 5:25:19 PM

I am going to have to agree with Procton and say Panthersfan90 is more than likely mentally retarded. Not only was he wrong about the picks we have but am I reading correctly when he said he loves Fox and he is an amazing player? and rebuilding the Fox line? There are way to many grammatical errors in there to point them out and I would be an ass if I did because I am not perfect..But my favorite are the two "stop worrying" usages. Anyways back to business, we got the raw end of the Jenkins deal because of our need to get rid of him before the bonus was due. Jordan Carstens was a hard nose player who I would welcome anyday into the rotation. One last thing, we will not know the true value of this trade until we see how the players we draft with the picks turn out. So watch and wait.

Posted by: jv | Feb 29, 2008 6:02:39 PM

Posted by: jv | Feb 29, 2008 6:11:13 PM

Posted by: jv | Feb 29, 2008 6:11:22 PM

I hate to burst all you wishful thinkers' bubble about Jordan Carstens, but that dude had issues with a kidney disease which was causing blood clots. EVEN if he were even REMOTELY CLOSE to being in any kind of shape to play football, I'm sure most physicans would advise against returning.

We're talking about Jordan Carstens here, not Mark Fields ...

I like the move to trade Kris Jenkins mainly because it gives Damione Lewis another shot to be a starter in the league. Everyone wants to whine and cry about how "great" Jenkins was for our team, but keep in mind Lewis LED the team in sacks as a RESERVE lineman! Plus, the last time I checked, Lewis has never showed up to offseason minicamps for the Panthers weighing 384 pounds. Plus, that early 3rd round pick can be used to grab someone projected in the second round who might fall into our laps, so if you look at it that way, it would be like having a late 2nd ...

We're better off one the D-line if we can just add another veteran DT for the rotation (Wouldn't mind if the team brought in Anthony McFarland for a look at least, if he's healthy enough to bounce back, also Rod Coleman wouldn't be a bad option, if he can stay healthy). Another DE (why not take a chance on Kearse with an incentive-laden deal?) would be nice to push the younger players.

I hate Ma'ake Kemoeatu with a passion, but at least he showed a little class and restructured his contract to help the team.

Our linebacking corp will continue to improve, although I'd like to see someone brought in to push Diggs a little.

Oh, and the front office needs to make a run at Marlon McCree. He's an underrated safety who knows our defense.

It's great to see that the front office is clearing house with the players who don't want or deserve to be here (Jenkins, Foster, Carr) and bringing back those who want to be here (Hoover, Wesley)

I'm also happy to see Moose back, but if the front office had a mulligan, I'm sure they would've tried to get Isaac Bruce instead. Bruce would have been a better veteran mentor to Dwayne Jarrett, but oh well.

And quit clowning on PanthersFan90. The kid is probably 12 years old or something and you're on here calling him a jackass and retarded. Grow up! I'm sure everyone else read the "John Fox is a great player" and realized it was a typo. Don't eat the kid's lunch over it. Damn ...

Posted by: Shane Dunaway | Feb 29, 2008 6:43:05 PM

Getting rid of Jenkins was the correct move. He did not want to be here, his stats were not that great, and his body will fall apart any day now. That $20 million guaranteed the J E T S Jets Jets Jets gave him will be an albatross on their salary cap for years to come. If, and that is a big if, we make some decent choices with the draft picks then the trade will be an unqualified success. Signing Coleman would be great as he is just as good if not better than Jenkins.

Posted by: James Reed | Feb 29, 2008 6:57:02 PM

i'm laughing my ass off here...who knew Procton could be funny, this jv guy mocks someone for being retarded then posts his comments 3 times, and Shane here feels sorry for the retarded guy.
Priceless.
Anyway, the Panthers never make much noise in FA and this particular group is fairly weak, so with extra picks I'll start thinkin' about the draft.
Was thinking:
would it be terrible to trade down a little in the first round and take jonathan stewart to complement deangelo w? if sam baker (OT, USC) starts to fall trade up a little and take him in the 2nd.
and does anyone know anything about Michael Huff in Oakland? is he a SS or FS? I'm guessing FS, which we need..wonder how much they would demand in a trade for him. Oakland just signed gibril wilson from the giants for $6mil+ a year.

Posted by: Chad | Feb 29, 2008 7:13:08 PM

Im not saying that trading Jenkins was a bad move or a wrong move for that matter.I just believe that he was worth more than the Panthers Recieved.I know Im beating a dead horse here and this is the last Ill speak of it because whats done is done,but I would have welcomed a 2nd and 6th rounder or even a 2nd and 7th as opposed to the 3rd and 5th.I believe the cream of the crop is in the first 2 rounds for sure,not that there isnt viable options throughout the draft,just more talent in the second.

Now if Hurney is serious in taking one of the 3rd round picks or both of them and trading up or possibly gaining another second,I will be more inclined to give respect to the Front Office on this one.Until that happens I still believe they could have squeezed something better from the league.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Feb 29, 2008 7:20:41 PM