« Gross likely to get franchise tag | Main | Gross would like some stability »

February 18, 2008

Muhammad available to Panthers

Add Muhsin Muhammad, Steve Smith’s former pass-catching partner, to the list of available receivers as the Carolina Panthers try to balance out their passing attack.

Muhammad, a Panther from 1996 to 2004, was released by the Chicago Bears on Monday and is free to sign with any team.

He maintains a home, business ties and charitable organizations in Charlotte.

"Moose has a great affinity for the Charlotte area and a great respect for the Carolina organization," said Joel Segal, Muhammad’s agent. "Obviously, this is new and we’ll take it one day at a time."

Carolina general manager Marty Hurney wouldn’t speculate on whether the team would be interested in bringing back Muhammad.

"Things like this happen this (time of) year all the time and you work through each one of them," he said.

The Panthers need to add depth at receiver and get some help for Smith. It’s been an area of concern since Muhammad left to join the Bears after the 2004 season.

The Panthers hope Dwayne Jarrett, a second-round pick last year, will develop into a starter alongside Smith, but have no other depth at the position. They’re not expected to re-sign Keary Colbert and perhaps not Drew Carter, who are due to become unrestricted free agents effective Feb. 29.

Muhammad, 34, caught 40 passes for 570 yards and three touchdowns last season. He is 66 yards shy of 10,000 career receiving yards.

There are numerous younger receivers for the Panthers to consider in free agency, including Chicago’s Bernard Berrian, Seattle’s D.J. Hackett, Jacksonville’s Ernest Wilford and Arizona’s Bryant Johnson.

--- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on February 18, 2008 at 05:29 PM | Permalink

Comments

I hope the Panthers look to let Ryne Robinson try to break into the receiving rotation. It obviously wasn't fantastic competition, but he was never under 932 yards in his final three years at Miami U, and he broke 1100 twice.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 18, 2008 5:33:49 PM

Too old to waste money on. He has his chance to stay with us and was too greedy. Loved that Rucker and others cut their salaries in order to STAY with our team, but for Moose, it was all about Moose and not about the team. Go for anyone else!

Posted by: Lynn | Feb 18, 2008 6:31:58 PM

Yeah, he left to become the #1 receiver. Didn't like playing in Smith's shadow. Nothing but a possesion receiver, just what we do need, if he has anything left. Seemed to be dropping some passes this year. We have enough of those.

Posted by: Screaming Sheep | Feb 18, 2008 6:46:34 PM

You'd have to be retarded to lose lots of money to stay with a team. We could easily say the Panthers were disloyal to him by not paying market price. Why should athletes be expected to be altruistic with their livelihood?

Posted by: JP | Feb 18, 2008 6:48:53 PM

Two Words: ROY WILLIAMS

Posted by: Matt West | Feb 18, 2008 7:01:59 PM

Two words - No way

Posted by: Catsnmbr1fan | Feb 18, 2008 7:15:52 PM

Yeah I love MOOSE! too..when he was here and I completely understand why he left. BUT! he's been dropping passes the last 2 years! so ...i don't know what he has left. I mean he'd be better than what we have but that's not saying much. Right now...if they bring him in it would have to be for close to veteran minimum....AND they would still have to add another (younger) WR such as Berrian or Henderson or Bryant Johnson ect. The panthers need a youth movement really....as we are getting pretty old I mean we are not there yet..but close...this is because the draft is a waste for us..almost every year when other teams are getting 5 or 6 players....from it..we get like 2....players......i'd love to have moose back but not at the expense of Berrian ...or some other talented young player.

Posted by: Cheven | Feb 18, 2008 7:27:05 PM

JP, you are way off the mark. Muhammad was offered a very fair contract but wasn't negotiating in good faith because he had been talking to the Bears before his contract expired. He signed with Chicago within an hour of becoming a free agent.

That being said, I'd like to have him back if he's asking for a reasonable amount over 2 years.

Posted by: Authority on Everything | Feb 18, 2008 7:28:24 PM

i really not sure about this ,I mean I like are moves so far. I would love to see Alge in a Panthers uniform and believe he will be in one this year,But I hope we also get another playmaker WR I just keep getting this feeling that we will get Javon Walker from denver not in a trad but in free agent market to team up with Alge and Smitty. And I love to see Michel Turner in a Panthers uniform only time can tell , I'm looking foward to this free agency period.by the way how much cap space do we have we might have release some guys like kemo and other overated players, Jerry Richardson is ready to spend like Jerry Jones I'm looking Foward to what the future have to bring.

Posted by: telling it like it is | Feb 18, 2008 8:27:25 PM

It hasn't just been the past two years. Moose has been a ball-dropper for most of his career, save for a couple seasons where he dropped fewer than average.

Posted by: Justin | Feb 18, 2008 8:53:11 PM

Posted by: Justin | Feb 18, 2008 8:53:32 PM

Justin is right and no one seems to remember all those dropped passes-usually at crucial times in the ball game. Leave him be and let's focus on building a younger team.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 18, 2008 9:34:56 PM

I wouldn't mind having Moose back at a reasonable price. If we could add both him and Crumpler we would have a lot of options in the passing game. Only one option would be spectacular, but the others would be consistent and reliable, something we haven't had in a while.

Moose, unlike Keyshawn, would be a great mentor for Jarrett and I think it would be a wise move. I'd still love to see the FO bring in another, younger WR to look at too.

Posted by: John | Feb 18, 2008 9:41:28 PM

Maybe Moose will tell Smitty practice time is not a time to wonder around with your helmet off standing alone in the endzone untill its his turn to run a route......Drama Queen...And he has all you by the, well you know.

Posted by: BigKahuna | Feb 18, 2008 10:45:02 PM

Sign him at the minimum and we fix the biggest problem with our recieving crops. He unlike Carter and Kolbert could actually catch the ball and take the heat off of Smith as well as be a mentor for Jarret. Sign Him!

Posted by: crazycat08 | Feb 18, 2008 10:46:17 PM

If the Panthers can sign Moose for the veteran min. then that would be great. I say sign Moose, Turner and trade Foster and a pick for Mr. Williams. Let Colbert go keep Carter. What a recieving corps would that make?

Posted by: Chris | Feb 18, 2008 10:56:38 PM

I'm sure every player in the NFL is glad neither of you are agents, crazycat and Chris. Guys get more than the minimum who hardly played the year before (see Patten, David and his 1 catch in '06.) Muhammed went for almost 600 yards on a team with NO QB. He'll probably get $4 mil over 2 years minimum.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 18, 2008 11:25:35 PM

Hate to change the subject, but everyone should check out Pat Yasinksas' article on ESPN.com Anyone wanna guess as to which team spurred that article on? Haha. He has a good point though, I just don't forsee any future impact starter falling to us at defensive end. I mean, if you look at some of the mock drafts, they have 5 to 6 DEs going in the first 15 picks or so. We should really find a way to trade up or down, the middle of the round is so fickle.

Back to this thread, I think Robinson and Jarret have potential, so we'll see. As for Moose, no thanks. He had one big year when Smith was hurt and then got a fat contract and didn't produce at a high level. We need someone to keep defenses honest, not an overaged slower receiver.

Posted by: Christian | Feb 19, 2008 12:56:33 AM

Mike, surely your opening post was a joke ...

Starting two sub-5'9" receivers is a BAD idea ...

I think signing Moose at a one- or two-year incentive-laden deal is the best route to go ... either that or trade for Roy Williams ...

Any other options would be BAD ideas ...

Posted by: Shane Dunaway | Feb 19, 2008 1:56:02 AM

Actually, I take part of that back ...

I'd be happy with Ernest Wilford ... he has the size the team needs at WR ...

Posted by: Shane Dunaway | Feb 19, 2008 1:58:48 AM

I think that since Moose is in the "decline" of his career, he would likely consider signing with us for around the veteran minimum... and he is WELL worth it.

He hasn't had anyone in Chicago to get him the ball, and their offense has been abysmal ever since Walter Peyton left! I say we take a chance on bringing him back... he has chemistry with Jake and Steve, and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

That said, what's to say we don't sign Moose and then bring in another FA WR along with him? Or draft a good WR this year assuming we don't re-sign Carter? I'm just saying... if we can put forth the effort, we could have Steve, Moose, and Roy Williams as our starting WR's. That along with a new power RB, and we have an offense!

Posted by: appgrad08 | Feb 19, 2008 2:05:21 AM

Uhh...please point out to me where I suggested he start: "I hope the Panthers look to let Ryne Robinson try to break into the receiving rotation."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 19, 2008 2:31:24 AM

Right about the time you started spouting off his numbers at Miami (Ohio) ...

You think just putting him in the rotation would merit that kind of production? He would have to be a STARTER to get anywhere close to 1,000 yards at the NFL level.

Seriously, what gives? You defend Foster and Carr to the death, now you want Ryne Robinson to be elevated on the depth chart? What did he do to merit ANY bump up in the lineup? In his first season here, he was far from the production Steve Smith had as a rookie ...

Posted by: Shane Dunaway | Feb 19, 2008 4:05:00 AM

That's because he got played less. I didn't suggest he start at all or be given a chance to get 1,000 yards in the pros. I simply said that it's obvious both from his production and scouting reports that he can contribute on offense as well as special teams.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 19, 2008 8:33:38 AM

Can't blame Moose for cashing in on a big payday when he had the chance - this is a business. Which is exactly why he will now see the other side of that business. Nostalgia has nothing to do with winning ballgames, and I can't imagine what the Panthers would want with an over-the-hill, slow receiver with bad hands. They had a roster full of marginal receivers last year - why chase yet another one? No, they need to let him fade into obscurity, and search for a viable starter who can be a difference maker.

Posted by: Wayne D | Feb 19, 2008 8:38:16 AM