« Stephen Davis' finest games with Panthers | Main | Insider thinks Moss could be a Panther »

February 27, 2008

Turner unlikely to be a Panther

The Carolina Panthers need a running back. San Diego's Michael Turner, the multi-talented backup to all-pro LaDainian Tomlinson, is available starting Friday in free agency. But this match probably will never happen.

Turner

Turner's likely to carry a heavy pricetag. The Panthers almost certainly won't get into a bidding war for him. If they're going to spend big money on any player -- and that's a big if -- it's more likely to be for a defensive end.

There are other running backs available, such as Dallas' Julius Jones. But a wiser move could be to wait for the draft. This is an exceptional year for backs in the draft, well into the second and third rounds. Even though East Carolina's Chris Johnson's ran a blazing 4.24 40-yard dash at the combine, he's likely to go in the second round. If so, the team that chooses him there will get big-time value for their pick.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on February 27, 2008 at 02:28 PM | Permalink

Comments

Is this opinion? Because we usually dont get in bidding wars...we are the 1st and last stops for free agents we want to pursue. Examples Wahle, Lucas, and K. Johnson. If Turner makes the Panthers his 1st stop...there is a good chance he could be in black and blue. My .02 cents.

Posted by: eleaf | Feb 27, 2008 2:34:02 PM

Last year was an exceptional draft for safeties. We all remember how that played out.

Posted by: JanitorDan | Feb 27, 2008 2:47:02 PM

Thank God, the Panthers dont need to spend all the money they have cleared on a backup rb that will comand a heavy payday and hasnt done alot to warrant it.Julius Jones is not any better and wouldnt be much of a upgrade over Foster.Thank goodness the draft is deep at OT and RB, the Panthers are sitting pretty.

Posted by: OscuroUno | Feb 27, 2008 3:09:57 PM

I like how the link from the main page says "Likely" and the article title is "Unlikely"

Posted by: JTA | Feb 27, 2008 3:16:35 PM

Michael Turner will definately be a Panther. The Panther's need a strong backup Running Back. This would be a great addition not only to teh Panther's needy RB position but also to the whole organization.

Posted by: Cameron | Feb 27, 2008 3:30:31 PM

At first I was pumped about the possibility of having Turner, but after I've seen all the options, he's not our guy. I think what the Panthers need to do in free agency this year is pursue one of the two good tackles available. That's either Floz or Faneca. Also we have two or three reliable options at safety in Mike Doss and Gibri Wilson, along with others. Another need for the Panthers is DE. That is something we will have to probably pick up in the draft. I would not mind if the Panthers picked up another WR and another OLB. Na'il Diggs is a good linebacker, but we can do better. If I were the Panthers, I would spend just a little more money on Briggs then the Redskins are going to offer. The 'skins have said they won't spend a lot this year in free agency, which gives us a shot at Briggs. In the draft, with our first pick we really need a RB. Rookie runningbacks have had good success in their first year, as opposed to WRs and stuff. I think our guy is Johnathon Stewart, over Rashard Mendelhall. I watched film, and from an unbiased perspective, JS is our guy.

Posted by: D-man | Feb 27, 2008 3:30:34 PM

Why would the panthers want to place their most "prized" position in the hands of a rookie from ECU? We need to jump on Turner like he's on fire.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 27, 2008 3:31:07 PM

D-Man I like your bias opinion but I just don't think all of that will happen for us. If we could have Donte Stallworth, Michael Turner, Lance Briggs, Brandon Lloyd and a huge secondary change we could easily go to teh Super Bowl and own.

Posted by: Cameron | Feb 27, 2008 3:36:54 PM

D-man, I agree that Gibril Wilson is a quality safety. After that, though, it really drops off, and that includes Mike Doss. Doss used to be a pretty good player, but his knee injury wrecked his career. He was the 4th safety this year in Minnesota. Chris Crocker (ATL) and Yeremiah Bell (MIA) are probably the best of the second tier.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 27, 2008 3:43:33 PM

I would love to see the Panthers pick up CJ in the second round. I've been watching him for four years. He is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. He's a threat to score anytime he touches the ball

Posted by: Jason | Feb 27, 2008 3:45:53 PM

I don't think we need to chance taking a RB in the draft. We haven't had good luck with it at all. Michael Turner has proven he can be a good back in the NFL, unless his price is just obscene, I think we should go after him. Whatever we do we need a Big durable back in the Stephen Davis mold. Get more talent on the OL and find some safeties.

Posted by: Stew | Feb 27, 2008 3:51:44 PM

Good! I'd rather not spend high dollars on a running back to run behind a poor O-line anyways. Let's use the 1st round pick on a LT and grab T.J. Duckett in free agency.

Posted by: Jake | Feb 27, 2008 3:55:34 PM

CJ wouldn't make sense, we need a power back as a change of pace from Williams. I say Stewart out of Oregon, big guy with decent speed and good hands. Potential Stephen Davis clone with better hands! Use 1st Round on RB, and 2nd rounder on Tackle or Safety

Posted by: Cole | Feb 27, 2008 4:24:42 PM

Why are you guys so high on TJ Duckett? I'm sorry, but that guy is just a chubbier version of Eric Shelton. I am a huge Carolina fan and live in DC and that guy did zippy up here in what is supposed to be a run-heavy team. Duckett is not the answer you are looking for. Julius Jones would be a considerable upgrade over that guy.

Posted by: Ditched the Carr | Feb 27, 2008 4:31:57 PM

So much for the big changes in the off season by the Panthers.

Posted by: jbw | Feb 27, 2008 4:32:26 PM

Wait for the draft? Well now, that's an attractive scenario...given the braintrust that got us Eric Shelton, as well as DeShaun in front of Clinton Portis.

Posted by: Mack | Feb 27, 2008 4:39:52 PM

What we should look into is the cost of getting Michael Huff from the Raiders. He's a good, young safety and could be gotten for a bargain price. Our offseason checklist is looking better than it has in recent years with the cuts we've made and signing Moose. I'm excited for next week and the draft in April.

Posted by: JanitorDan | Feb 27, 2008 5:19:39 PM

Cameron, Michael Turner is not going to sign with any team that doesn't promise him the starting job. He already spent several years as LT's backup, now he wants to run the show for some team at RB and he will sign with the team that offers him the most money and the most solid promise of the starting RB job. We could offer him the starting job, but can we offer him the most money? Probably not...

And did you seriously say Brandon Lloyd? That dude sucks, he couldn't even crack the Redskins' starting lineup and their receiving core is worse than ours. He'd just be the 2nd coming of Keary Colbert here. "Ditched the Carr" is right about Duckett too, he's got nothing. We need a much better power RB than him and we can probably find that in the draft.

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Feb 27, 2008 5:34:47 PM

See, the way I look at it, M. Turner is the same risk as a draft pick. He's run behind one of the best O-lines we've seen in recent years, behind one of the best RBs in recent years. He looks good on paper, but that means nothing.

Posted by: D-man | Feb 27, 2008 5:41:00 PM

Guys, Turner ain't coming here and we ain't going after him (wants#1 and $). We have to be going OT #1 in draft, our slot can get a ten year solid if not great left tackle - anytime yo can draft a potential ten year starter = no brainer. (I like Chris Williams of Vandy)
After that it totally depends whose avaialbe, probably RB next but if right FS, DE, DT, WR (lowest need in my opinion) there we'll take them, Panthers braintrust will take highest rated player on their board with these positons being interchangeable. The hopeful point of view is, we have a good chance to draft some real quality at each position thru round four and who know, maybe this will be the year we pick up something good in round 6 and 7 on the other. Lastly, remember Rhyne Robinson is going to be a good 3rd receiver type, and if Moose / Jarrett can fill #2 and there are also two other guys on roster who could suprise (no I'm not thinking Colbert or Carter, gone, gone and I wish we had a new WR coach too!)

Posted by: isaiah | Feb 27, 2008 6:37:58 PM

Please the Panthers want to win and win now they will go after Michel Turner and their a great chance we will land him . Tell me if Marty and John let Turner go and see him light up the score board and they have a okay season again believe Jerry won't take long to say should they stay or should they go. The Carolina PANTHERS WILL BE VERY ACTIVE IN THIS FREE AGENCY so let sit and see what going to go down.

Posted by: telling it like it is | Feb 27, 2008 6:48:57 PM

Forget paying for RB. The signing of an experienced WR is a wise move! The team needs a great tackle in the draft and a great RB. I would see these as 2 of out top picks...I also expect teh team to sign a veteran DE, becasue our drafted ones have not produced....Good line makes good RB. Veteran WR help QB, experienced DE gets to the othe rQB and helps Peppers.

Posted by: Local | Feb 27, 2008 7:04:40 PM

I don't think Turner is our guy. If we are going to spend big money in free agency why not sign a DE. That would "possibly" make Peppers step up and also secure our DE considering we sign peppers for a while. They said they want to stop the run and trading K. Jenkins and relying on a rookie DE or C.Johnson is not helping their cause. Get a T in the first and C. Johnson in the 2nd or J stewart, one of them will fall. We drafted Delo for a reason we should give him a shot. C. Johnson is a stud. Or you could go Mendenhall and get a quality T in the 2nd. That would give us one hell of a one two punch. Wonder what number Jeff King will be now that MOOSE is back? Love the signing of MOOSE.

Posted by: wowo | Feb 27, 2008 7:19:25 PM

Who are the great DEs in free agency this year? Last I heard, Justin Smith was the best guy available...he certainly doesn't fall into the "great" category.

Posted by: JanitorDan | Feb 27, 2008 7:33:29 PM

I like Micheal Turner but I also like the draft as well. It has been a safer pick to get a running back early in the draft (can't miss guys). This year there are about 3 of those in McFadden, Mildenhall, and Stewart. We all know Mcfadden will be gone by the time we pick so Stweart or Mildenhall should be available. I like both but I like Mildenhall more. Main reason is because Stweart played in a spread offense at Oregon and I don't know if he'll translate well to the NFL right away and we need help right now. Blitz pickups are a monster when you haven't done them and in the spread in college your blitz pickup is simple. You don't have to read defenses as much as a pro style offense. I think Mildenhall will translate faster to the NFL than Stewart.

Posted by: Jerard D Waymer | Feb 27, 2008 7:44:04 PM