« Gross signs one-year tender ... | Main | ESPN2 mock draft: The Panthers select ... »

March 21, 2008

Chris Williams at Vanderbilt's Pro Day

Every one of the NFL's 32 teams had a representative at Vanderbilt's Pro Day today, and many - including the Panthers - were there to look at offensive tackle Chris Williams. In the morning workout, Williams did primarily position drills under the instruction of Washington assistant head coach for offense Joe Bugel, letting his NFL Scouting Combine numbers stand.

Williams measured out to 6-foot-6 1/4 and weighed in at 320 pounds, according to Larry Leathers of the school's media relations department.

With the Panthers picking 13th and Williams climbing a bit recently in some mock drafts, he could be an important target for Carolina. He is considered one of four offensive tackles almost certain to go in the first round, and trails only Michigan's Jake Long and Boise State's Ryan Clady on many lists. Long and Clady, though, will be well out of Carolina's range unless the Panthers trade up. Also in the first-round mix is Pittsburgh's Jeff Otah.

Williams had a remarkable senior season for the Commodores, starting all 12 games at left tackle and allowing just one sack and one pressure in 836 snaps. He had the highest rating for offensive consistency (85.67 percent) of any down lineman in the SEC, and was Vanderbilt's first All-SEC first-team choice at the position since 1984.

The day was a big one for Vandy, which had 12 players work out. Among them was highly thought-of wide receiver Earl Bennett, who caught passes from former Commodores' standout Jay Cutler.--STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on March 21, 2008 at 05:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

I'm always wary of guys like Williams. He was a fringe first-rounder as of the end of the season, but has been rising while working out in shorts and tank tops. I'd rather take a guy who stood out all along (on FILM) than a guy who can move fast in a straight line for his size. Unless we can trade down at least 7-10 picks, I wouldn't want Williams.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 21, 2008 5:28:30 PM

yea same here the weight is good but clady will be better for us but dont forget Harvey!

Posted by: paul | Mar 21, 2008 5:49:42 PM

Come on Pats! Sign Seward already!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Mar 21, 2008 6:04:50 PM

MP, I think if you're the highest rated OL in the SEC, you might have some good film to go with the measurables. It's more likely he's moving up because he's good and from an unheralded school. I like him at lot at 13. If we take Harvey at 13, then I like Carl Nicks in Round 2.

Posted by: magicman56 | Mar 21, 2008 6:23:26 PM

Personally, I think it would be a better idea to take a defensive end in the first round. Since Mike Rucker is no longer on the team and we traded Kris Jenkins to the Jets, I think we need another guy to complement Julius Peppers or we'll have to make plenty of blitzes in the 2008 season to make up for it.

Another O-lineman would be nice, but I think it's a more important need at this point. Otherwise we'll have trouble getting pressure to the QB, and as our latest SB has proven, it is essential to a good team.

Posted by: Revshawn | Mar 21, 2008 6:26:26 PM

If Clady isn't there i would be happy with C.Williams.For this guy to go against the top Pass rusher in the SEC & only give up one sack thats huge.I'm not sold on J.Otah this guy played for Pitt & hasn't seen close the caliber of player like C.Williams.

Posted by: Damon | Mar 21, 2008 6:44:40 PM

Stan, you amaze me. What makes you so sure that Clady will be gone that you are willing to state it right now in your blog, a month from the draft, that he will be gone? Mock drafts are cool and all, but mock drafts had Brady Quinn as a top 5 pick last year so guess what, they can be wrong. Unless you have inside sources from the 12 teams ahead of the Panthers I don't know how you can claim that.

Also, I think its funny that you and Stan are all over Derrick Harvey's jock for having "long arms" and an "82 inch wingspan", but you fail to mention how short Williams arms are, which is a huge detriment to O-linemen. Do you just not know this fact, or do you choose to ignore it?

People that post on blogs shouldn't know more than the people that actually post the blog, in my opinion...

Posted by: Chad | Mar 21, 2008 6:51:01 PM

Sorry before I get railed for it, I meant "you and Charles" not Stan...

Posted by: Chad | Mar 21, 2008 6:52:01 PM

Good Friday too you all!

I was there today at Vanderbilt's Pro day.

It was great to see Jay throw to Earl again and Earl did not drop one ball!

I see Chris going at 12 to Denver!

Posted by: Cutlerfan | Mar 21, 2008 7:06:18 PM

i still say trade down a little, still get harvey because most teams needs dont need another pass rusher until the vikings and than trade up again to get cheilus outa BC or albert outa UV. from there u get either the best player available or the best FS, DT, or RB available. Hurney better do some praying that hes a magic this year ro he might kiss this job goodbuy. i hope he stays because that'll mean he did good.Go Panthers!

Posted by: randy | Mar 21, 2008 8:51:41 PM

Ha noone else seen Clady getting pushed around by Below average talent from a weak confrence?Not to mention Clady holding onto jerseys for dear life......Just cant believe noone else has seen this since some are valuing so much about a player because of "Film".

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Mar 21, 2008 9:46:18 PM

Posted by: Chad | Mar 21, 2008 3:51:01 PM

...Huh???

Posted by: SYRPIS | Mar 21, 2008 10:44:15 PM

Kasay, Elam or none of the above??

Posted by: SYRPIS | Mar 21, 2008 11:53:31 PM

I got to admit that C.Williams stats are impressive coming out of the strongest confrence in the counrty but its got to be a DE in the first round and him in the second round.If we can get the Patroits to bite on Seward for their 5th round pick i believe it would be enough ammunition to trade up late first round(along with another pick ofcoarse).
Does anyone know R.Colemans condition???It sure would take care of draft prority if we signed him then we could focus on a running back in the 3rd like Forte-did anyone see him in the senior bowl?It was impressive...

Posted by: Two Birds | Mar 22, 2008 2:18:43 AM

We still need to take a safety high in this draft. I do not understand everyones new found interest with a defensive end. Charles Johnson will be a beast. Also, Campbell from Miami will be there in the third. I would trade down to take a safety and take Cherilous from Boston College in round two. He is just as good as the first round tackles. Clady did struggle against sub-par competition as well as a super weak effort at the combine. The second round tackles from BC and USC are just as good as guys projected to go in the first. Let's not forget that Robert Gallery was a can't miss talent a few years ago and he cannot block my grandmother.

Posted by: Edward | Mar 22, 2008 9:10:08 AM

We need to go OT in round one even if we have to reach a bit. Its the only spot on the team that has not been addressed and is not currently capable of making it through the season. I also happen to think that your 1st rounder should always be a lineman.

Posted by: cc | Mar 22, 2008 9:53:58 AM

Posted by: Chad | Mar 21, 2008 3:51:01 PM

...Huh???

Sorry dickface, let me rephrase it for you. People that COMMENT on blogs shouldn't know more than people that post the blog. I'm sorry you are an idiot and couldn't figure out what I was trying to say, but considering you are a Falcons fan I shouldn't be surprised you couldn't. Thanks for the Elam update douche bag, stick to the Atlanta blogs.

Posted by: Chad | Mar 22, 2008 10:09:25 AM

And if you think Michael Turner is all you need to compete in the NFC South SYPRIS, you are even more idiotic than you sound.

Posted by: Chad | Mar 22, 2008 10:11:49 AM

On Valentine's Day, SYRPIS gives his wife the still beating heart of one of his enemies. Being very romantic, SYRPIS believes every day should be Valentine's Day.

Posted by: Chuck Norris | Mar 22, 2008 10:36:14 AM

I think we should trade down as well and Take a DE/DT and Then OT and then Safty. As Griffin and Morgan will be there in round 3. Only way I can justify trading up is if Dorsey is close to us...as I really think this guy will be a All pro DT for along time. I like Calius Campbell but I can't see him sliding past EARLY 2nd round at the latest. I'd also Like to have "Harvey" If he truly is 271! he looks a lot smaller than that and I am afraid of him playing DE in a 4-3..if he is the 250lbs that he looks. I also like OTAH and BC guy better than Clady. I am done with small OLineman..cause I can't name a lot in the nfl that are good that are right around 300lbs. Ya need to be 320 to 330 for me.

Posted by: cheven | Mar 22, 2008 10:44:47 AM

Sorry before I get railed for it, I meant "you and Charles" not Stan...

Posted by: Chad | Mar 22, 2008 10:54:13 AM

To you, cheven, a lineman needs to be at least 320 pounds. Interesting, then, that 4 of the 5 starting AFC Pro Bowlers (and another 7 of the 14 other Pro Bowl linemen) were under that weight. Technique and ability matter far more than raw size.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 22, 2008 12:07:36 PM

@ Edward

Safely isn't a major concern because the Panthers run a cover 2.In cover 2 the SS is more important than the FS because the SS help out in run support a lot.The FS in cover 2 stay deep & his job is not to let anyone get behind him.FS in the cover 2 don't cover that much like other 4-3 or 3-4 scheme's.

@ TwoBirds

I think the Panthers & others team was scared off by R.Coleman because a lot of teams don't think he has fully recovered from his ruptured quadriceps. But he will get signed close to when teams break for training camp.

Posted by: Damon | Mar 22, 2008 1:44:26 PM

Damon, it's not just the quad. The guy has had surgeries on his elbow and knee too within the last year. Yeah, somebody will get desperate and sign him, but I hope we're not the team to make that mistake.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 22, 2008 2:58:40 PM

The reason they shouldn't draft Harvey is because UF players are always busts in the NFL. Can anyone name a UF player besides Emmitt Smith that has done anything in the NFL? There may be one or two others in the history of the league but I can't think of any...

Posted by: Hines | Mar 22, 2008 4:05:30 PM