« Next pro day workout: Vandy OT Chris Williams | Main | Chris Williams at Vanderbilt's Pro Day »

March 20, 2008

Gross signs one-year tender ...

Panthers offensive tackle Jordan Gross signed his one-year tender today, officially putting him under contract for 2008.

The Panthers placed the franchise tag on Gross, which kept him away from other teams in free agency and assured him a salary of $7.45. million this year – an average of the top 10 salaries for offensive linemen in 2007.

The signing does not preclude Gross from signing a longer-term contract with the Panthers. The sides tried to work out a new before the Panthers put the franchise tag on him prior to free agency.

Negotiations are likely to resume soon, but for now, the two sides don’t seem very close.

CHARLES CHANDLER

Posted by Observer Sports on March 20, 2008 at 09:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

Does signing to a one year tender mean that he is accepting that $7.45M? And if so, what took him so long to sign?

Posted by: SYRPIS | Mar 20, 2008 10:03:12 PM

That's about 1 year too long for me. I hope and pray every night that they don't move Jordan 'the Human Turnstile' Gross back to left tackle. As terrible as he is on the right he is down right abysmal on the left. I trust a rookie over there over him any day.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 20, 2008 10:09:31 PM

Fred I think you are slightly mistaken. Although Gross is not the best on the left as this is not his natural position he was servicable. But he is a beast on the right especially as a run blocker. Successful plays runs through him. Let us just pray that no matter what they start running with Hoover in front blocking again!

Posted by: JayJ6 | Mar 20, 2008 10:14:11 PM

Jordan Gross is a great Right Tackle and an average Left Tackle. He is a mauling run blocker who can drive most run stopping DE's and OLB's back. Its when you get a quick pass rushing DE that gives him problems. Freeney, Umenyora, Ware, and those types that give him trouble if they pass rush.

Posted by: bjames | Mar 20, 2008 11:07:48 PM

He didn't exactly turn in a turnstile performance last season, he only allowed 3 sacks I believe. I mean, come on, he was protecting poor old David Carr and Methusaleh-verde back there...only 3 sacks is pretty good in my humble opinion. I'm more worried to see how Wharton pans out this season at guard, is he going to have the bulk to clear his zone in the running scheme?

Posted by: Daniel | Mar 20, 2008 11:12:09 PM

I come to this site almost daily to see what is going on with the panthers and what other "fans" think of some moves the team is making. I can't help but be extremely disappointed in the lack of team support with all the negative comments made by several of these alleged panther fans.

My only question for those guys is: What team is your real team?

You claim to be a panther fan, but bash the team for all their decisions. If you are never going to be happy with the panthers, quit bitching and pick another team.

GOOOOOO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pnthrfan | Mar 21, 2008 1:02:59 AM

shut the crap up. go look at any team in the nfl's site and you'll see the same things from their fans. some of us don't like 7-9 seasons and like settling for mediocrity, doesn't mean we hate the team.
it's people like you that get really pumped up when the Panthers go 8-8 because it wasn't a losing season, and they ALMOST made the playoffs with a late push and won meaningless games vs. teams resting their starters.

Posted by: uhok | Mar 21, 2008 1:49:12 AM

Please don't move Jordan to my blind side. I really don't want to spend another season on IR or worse yet, get decapitated.

Posted by: Jake Dellhommme | Mar 21, 2008 2:01:20 AM

You guys just don't get it about Gross. The Panthers know he's a marginal at best, serviceable right tackle who doesn't deserve a long term, big money contract. So they commit to keeping him 1 more year while they at least shore up one of the tackle spots through the draft this year. Then, like Julius Peppers, after this yr they let him walk and allow some other team to overspend on him,then pay someone else much less for the same level of production on the field. There ya go.

Posted by: Harry | Mar 21, 2008 7:31:40 AM

"One time I was with Gross in the back of a pickup truck, along with a live deer. Gross goes up to the deer and says, 'I'm Jordan Gross! SAY IT!' Then he manipulates the deer's lips in such a way as to make it say, 'JordanGross' ... It wasn't exactly like it, but it was pretty good for a deer!'"

Posted by: Chuck Norris | Mar 21, 2008 7:38:06 AM

Harry,

I am going to ask you a question that can only be taken the wrong way over a blog, but I am serious. Have you actually seen Jordan Gross play as a right tackle in a game, and specifically on a running play? I gaureentee you that no talent evaluator in the NFL would mark him as "marginal" or "Servicable" Teams do not waste 7.5 mil a year for such avereage (in you opinion) players, until they can get another option. We can trade for a marginal Tackle right now with the extra picks we have. He may be marginal as a left tackle but again is a beast on the right.

To Uhok,
I think the point pnthrfan is making is the comments about the off season moves. Yes we did have a poor record but to lose your 1st and 2nd string qb and have to use a third and recently signed fourth string QB 7-9 ain't bad. Fans should be more on the positive we have all these bucs fans invading our site to provide the negative. Also the major point here is people complaining about these latest pickups. Someone tell me right now have many receptions will DJ have, how many sacks will Brayton have, how many tackles will johnson have, how many ints will holt have? Get my drift? We do not know. I remember 2003 people were like who the f*ck is JD? "oh they just brought him in for backup qb, not a big signing", "Steven Davis is washed up and done, ANOTHER GREAT SIGNING, PANTHERS!", "Ricky Prohl? Isn't he like 87, and didn't he get cut from his previous team?" How did that work out? (In case we have new fans that don't know we went to the Superbowl!)

Posted by: JayJ6 | Mar 21, 2008 8:52:03 AM

Thanks Jay, you pretty much made my point.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 21, 2008 9:07:59 AM

From the division we swept last year, those are the players the Panthers are most targeting. We beat the 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals. Looks like the 49ers or the Rams are next. We got swept from the AFC South. Titans, Colts, Jaguars, Texans. I'll take a couple of key guys from one or two of those teams. But we are looking promising. And guys what do you think about Steve Smith on the cover of Madden 09, or (AD) All Day Adrian Peterson?

Posted by: Panther Fan D | Mar 21, 2008 12:12:10 PM

To the comment of the Panther fan. I can't stand hearing someone say they are "The #1 Fan" Drives me crazy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion!! Sometimes I will complain about thing the Panthers have or HAVE NOT done. That does not make me a bad fan, It makes me human. Just to go into detail, I have spent $6000 for PSL'S, around $7200 on a van that has Panther claw marks all over it and only gets driven during Football season for tailgating making the trip from Charleston SC. Countless hours wondering and worring about the Panthers. So for pete sake if I want to bitch its other fans I will bitch to. My wife sure as hell doesn't want to hear it and for her being so understanding letting me spend the money I do on this "wonderful hobby" I will NOT bitch to her. I am generally more positive than neg. But there were some VERY trying times last season!! So I'll tell you what Mr. Panther fan you put the $'s into this and I'm sure you will bitch at times also. Even those who have not put $ have the same right to bitch as anyone else cause if you are a fan you are a fan. No one person is a #1 fan!!!! You either Love it or you don't!! It is a marriage there will be good times and bad... If there was'nt It would not be so enticing.

Posted by: wowo | Mar 21, 2008 12:25:33 PM

Dear Chuck Norris,

Please don't stop posting on this blog. Ignore repeated comments from people named "PantherFan#5" and "PanthersRock" or "CarolinaTrueFanofPanther" or "HotPantherLove69" that tend to suggest you need to get a life. They are wrong. Whether you're making these up yourself or not, they're great, almost as funny as the constant droning emanating from the "I'm a TRUE fan" posts.

Posted by: David | Mar 21, 2008 1:08:29 PM

I have some comments to make to a couple of you:

1. UHOK - I must have either hit a nerve with that comment or it's your time of the month. Did I once say I was happy being 7-9 or 8-8? NO. What did I say? I said it was disappointing to see so many negative blogs about the team and their decisions & for the fans that will never be happy, to just bail. I think the comments from JayJ6 were pretty spot on, so I'll leave it at that.

2. JAYJ6 - I couldn't have said it better myself.

3. WOWO - First off, your post is so flippin stupid it's almost funny. Not once did I say I was "the #1 fan". So get your facts straight. But I do agree it drives me crazy when MORONS do that.

Secondly, You went on and on and on.....and on about how much money you spend & the gayass VAN you drive to all the games. Apparently you are trying to show everyone how you feel YOU are the #1 fan, what a hypocrite. You bug me more than the constant bitchers, which is kinda ironic since you are one of them.

And last, Everyone IS entitled to their own opinion, $ put in or not. But like you said your wife doesn't want to hear you bitch. Well.....the panthers probably don't either. Have you ever told Fox your opinions? Or Hurney? Or any of the players you've bashed? Oh that's right you post negative blogs to the reporters and that makes you feel better right??? WAAAAAAA WAAAAAAA!!!!! Cry me a f@#cking river.

All you negative posters need to go back and look at the injury list the past couple of years and see what big names are on there & what positions they were. Look at the constantly shuffled offensive line back in 06 and big name/position players from the defense on the list. Or last year with the QB situation & lack of a #2 WR. Explain to me how they are expected to win a championship with a crappy ass CARR? What about 05? That's right, 1 game out of the super bowl. Take away all those key injuries and we would've probably made the playoffs or better - both years. Do think so? Then tell me, what were Delhommes #'s before injury? Thought so.

Posted by: pnthrfan | Mar 21, 2008 1:37:26 PM

As for my draft wishes, I would like to see the Panthers draft Derrick Harvey at pick 13. Then trade up early in the second round to pick up Boston College offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus. Maybe they can swap second round picks with someone in addition to giving them a third round pick, hopefully the later of the two 3rd round picks, and use the Kris Jenkins pick for the best DT available. That gives us a solid DE, OT, and hopefully a decent DT on day 1. Not bad!

Posted by: UCC | Mar 21, 2008 2:03:33 PM

I never once said I was the biggest fan. Nor have you ever heard me posting negative blogs about any player unless they were flat out playing with no heart. Don't hate on my van you broke ass bi@tch. When was the last time you heard someone say "Man I really enjoyed watching those guys play with NO HEART OR EMOTION" BS!!! I never said I was the biggest fan I just made a simple comment that I personally have a lot invested in it and if I want to complain I will. If you don't like it than find a blog that your little precious ass can handle.

Posted by: wowo | Mar 21, 2008 2:13:40 PM

WOWO:

OK, You may not be one of those constant bitchers, so I take that back. I just figured by your quick & defensive response it was because I struck a nerve with you too.

It's funny though that you call me a broke ass bitch when you have no idea what I do for a living a how much I make. What is even funnier about it, is you are calling me a broke ass bitch for not liking your fabulous VAN. You do know that soccer moms & pedifiles are the only ones that drive vans right? Or maybe a bank robber.....is that how you got the PSL's?

Anyway, simple comment? you went on and on so much about the amount of money spent on the team and your wonderful van, that it sounded like you were trying to compete with others about being such a big fan. So you did that to yourself.

I agree about lack of emotion on the field. And some of the pick ups are definatley questionable, but I don't judge until I see them play on our field. Case in point, Mr. Carr. He was supposedly going to take Delhommes starting spot. Well, he didn't unseat Delhomme & sure as hell wasn't all he was cracked up to be. and like JayJ6 said, a lot of fools laughed when Delhomme was picked up, but in 3 seasons he took us to 2 NFC Championship games a Super bowl.

You shouldn't judge till you see play.

Posted by: pnthrfan | Mar 21, 2008 2:51:01 PM

I thought Carr was a great pickup even though I support Dehlomme. I WAS DEAD WRONG!! I beleive competition for positions gets the most out of players! I can assure you I am not a pedifial nor a soccer mom. I just have a bad addiction with tailgating. I am not rich by any stretch nor is my van GAY!!!! I am a John Fox fan and have NEVER wanted him out. I have also not had the luxury of robbing a bank. I'm 28 years old and have EARNED everything and anything I have. Therefore I have the right to defend and be proud of my "gay van". Cause it is PIMP!!!!

Posted by: wowo | Mar 21, 2008 3:13:26 PM

You guys are acting like a bunch of playground girls. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: UCC | Mar 21, 2008 3:13:42 PM

panthersplanet.net= a small site but we're growing!

Posted by: panthersplanet | Mar 21, 2008 3:23:05 PM

Pnthr Fan, you are about as annoying as that school girl named Procton who hangs out with Stan!

Posted by: UCC | Mar 21, 2008 3:56:27 PM

Yeah I was wrong about Carr too. I didn't think he'd steal the starting job, but I did think if he got a shot due to injury, he might take it.

Mr. Happy Feet - Michael Jackson wanna be was horrible to watch. Now Moore on the other hand, looks to have some real potential.

As for you UCC, you're a real winner aren't you. What does UCC stand for anyway? Underground Cock Chomper?

Posted by: pnthrfan | Mar 21, 2008 4:42:15 PM

No but that was a good guess, keep trying fag girl.

Posted by: UCC | Mar 21, 2008 4:47:58 PM