« Hackett's ankle not a concern, agent says | Main | Search for OT makes stop in Boston »

March 17, 2008

Tracking Julius Peppers: Denver

So why was Julius Peppers in Denver for a Nuggets game Sunday instead of in Charlotte to watch his alma mater, North Carolina, play for the ACC tournament championship?
   A report that he was sighted watching the Nuggets has once again stirred up trade speculation about Peppers.
   Just like before, the Panthers insist it doesn't mean a thing and they have zero plans to deal Peppers.
   It turns out that Peppers has been working out in Arizona, which is obviously closer to Denver than Charlotte.
   That also means he wasn't at Bank of America Stadium today for the start of the Panthers' voluntary offseason conditioning program.
    GM Marty Hurney said the team isn't concerned about that and expects Peppers in for workouts soon.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on March 17, 2008 at 04:12 PM | Permalink

Comments

maybe if all the negative fans would give the guy a break because he has one "bad" season, he would be in charlotte with the team. who wants to be around when all the fans talk crap about him just because of a down year. he is still our best defensive player! we just need to understand that when opposing teams focus their attention on him, he has an even tougher time getting to the quarterback. he is still a monster so lets start being a little more supportive of him and he will lead our boys back to the super bowl like he is capable of doing. the last thing we want to see if jake being sacked over and over again by julius!

Posted by: foxwcl | Mar 17, 2008 4:50:42 PM

Please watch the language in your comments. I have deleted one from this blog posting for that reason. Have all the opinions you want, but please try to keep it clean.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Mar 17, 2008 5:15:41 PM

Every time i hear something about peppers getting traded, it just makes me sick. They would have to be abscent minded to trade pepers because of a bad year, can someone please verify this, so we can move on.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 17, 2008 5:36:08 PM

Can you imagine him, Carmelo and AI on the same team?

Posted by: jc | Mar 17, 2008 5:36:45 PM

Charles has talked to Panthers officials twice about this. Both times they have said Peppers is not on the block.

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Mar 17, 2008 5:43:20 PM

Breaking News: Steve Smith was spotted at a McDonalds sparking speculation of a retirement so that he may become a fry cook.

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 17, 2008 5:45:35 PM

I swear, it never ceases to amaze me as to some of the comments regarding Julius Peppers on this forum. Mark my words, there is NO way this franchise will let this guy go in a trade, Christ walking on water, via free agency, Moses parting the Red Sea, the Cubs winning the World Series… NOTHING. This guy is arguably one of the top talents in the ENTIRE league and you’re sitting here saying that just because he had an ‘off’ season he’s a dog and isn’t worth keeping or worth the money we’re paying him? Give me a break. I’m telling you… letting this guy leave Charlotte will be tantamount to the day the Trailblazers failed to draft Michael Jordan. And correct me if I’m wrong… but I think we ALL know how that turned out. I'm telling you... it just ISN'T going to happen, and I for one am a VERY happy camper.

Posted by: Richard | Mar 17, 2008 6:01:12 PM

wht an idiot i know steve smith cuz he goes to my football camp every year he said he wants to retire as a panther so he aint goin no where espically retiring. second Julius isnt goin anywhere either so erbody needs to shut up u think if thFox wants to keep his job he's goin to get rid of the best defensive player in the league arguably!

Posted by: paul | Mar 17, 2008 6:03:32 PM

I agree with fox, Peppers has been good for 5 out of the 6 seasons he has been here with 3 pro bowls. He had 13 sacks just last season, so I don't think you can hang him out after that. What happens if he comes out with 13 or 14 sacks next year..you will not hear anybody say a thing. in my opinion I think we wait until we sign our draft picks and anyone else we think we need and then give him a new contract. I know some people might say wait and see what he does this season but it could go both ways really. Pay him now and maybe it gives him some extra spark or wait and pay him so maybe he we feel like he's earned it. Just get him signed, he is too much of a talent to let go at this point in his career. Besides with our luck he would go to someone in our division and we would have to play him twice a year.

Posted by: JV | Mar 17, 2008 6:03:51 PM

As a diehard Panther and Tar Heel fan, seeing Peppers in a uniform other than ours is one of the very few things that would seriously fracture my relationship with this team. He is one of the faces of this team and one of the very reasons why people in Charlotte put their behinds in the stands. If you don't believe me, please listen to the announcement of the starting line-ups for any game!

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 17, 2008 6:07:55 PM

That is a partial fact, him and Smith get the most applause..But also its is arguable that he has the most jersey's in the stands as well. Again you could make a case for Smitty too.

Posted by: JV | Mar 17, 2008 6:10:55 PM

Which is why I said he is "one" of the faces...Smitty is the other

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 17, 2008 6:12:53 PM

JV

In fact there are two jerseys hanging in my clost...bet you can guess which they are ;)

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 17, 2008 6:14:58 PM

Peppers' overrated play and inconsistency is nothing new. He gets lots of sacks, sure, but is consistently shut down against the elite tackles one-on-one. If he's going to fight hard every down, maybe you can excuse a bad season, but the guy gave up on two out of every three plays. If his first move didn't work, he just stood there. That's not the kind of attitude, passion, or drive I want from MY team's players.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 17, 2008 6:31:06 PM

I love Peppers and would hate to see him go. I am not worried about it because I know if we were to trade him (which I hope we do not) we will or better get a lot for him (hershal walker style)

Posted by: james | Mar 17, 2008 6:31:49 PM

If any FAN out there is STILL up-set about Peps performance this past season,NEEDS TO LET IT DIE,That is anough,Him showin up wouldnt have been anough anyway,It takes more than just him to get it done,Its a team effort,Anyway the Past is dead,Time to move on!,Remember,Pep and Smith,IS CAROLINA,If they go,So does the team!

Posted by: #1 Fan | Mar 17, 2008 6:54:50 PM

We signed T J Hackett, Why no go after Dallas's Marion Barber??

Posted by: Brad Brinkley | Mar 17, 2008 6:55:51 PM

We signed T J Hackett, Why no go after Dallas's Marion Barber??

Posted by: Brad Brinkley | Mar 17, 2008 6:56:20 PM

We actually signed DJ Hackett and he is a WR. Dalls gave Barber a one tenured offer, meaning we'd have to give up a first and third round pick to Dallas IF we gave Barber an offer Dallas couldn't match. Do you see that happening?

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 17, 2008 7:06:28 PM

Trading Peppers would be a huge mistake, unless he demands an insane amount of money and does not want to resign with the Panthers. I hate to use this example but a "Hershal Walker" type trade would be the only one that the Panthers could even consider. Peppers has been a dominant force in the NFL since he was a rookie. Sure he had an off year last year, but he is now in the last year of his contract, if I'm not mistaken, so he will have plenty of motivation to perform at the elite level in which he has in the past. I agree that he is one of the two "faces" of this organization and cannot be traded unless the Panthers have no other recourse.

Posted by: jthomas | Mar 17, 2008 7:16:03 PM

So what Peppers was in Denver watching the baskeball game. We can speculate what the Panthers and Peppers will do all we want. For all we know the Nuggets could've offered him an oppurtunity to play Pro basketball he did kick butt as Tarheel Power Forward. Or he could be trying out Olympic skiing on the Denver slopes he is a freak of nature. So chill and leave Pepp alone he deserves that after all he did get us to the superbowl.

Posted by: Blah Blah | Mar 17, 2008 7:50:17 PM

Are you guys kidding me...Peppers was never any good at basketball!!! In fact...he sucked at basketball! Football was the sport for him! The Bobcats could use him right now though! Im lovin the Hackett signing! Great move for us!

Posted by: Duston | Mar 17, 2008 7:59:28 PM

I like the fact that Editor Mike Persinger is reading and posting on here, but come on Mike. Do you really think that just because the Panthers told some blogger for The Charlotte Observer that Peppers is not being traded that 100% means he's not? To think that is somewhat arrogant on Stan and your part. What do they have to gain by telling Stan "oh of course Stan, we're shopping him around."
This is the same organization and management that lied to fans just 3 weeks ago and said ticket prices wouldn't be going up. I don't trust them as far as I can throw Mark Richardson.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 17, 2008 8:14:09 PM

Are you serious??? Peppers wasn't any good at basketball?? That is a ridiculous comment. He was very good and for you to say that he wasn't shows how much you know about sports

Posted by: Frank Lucas | Mar 17, 2008 8:14:45 PM

Wow! What makes anybody think that Carolina wants to unload Peppers because of ONE bad season? Are you serious? Really?

Do you think maybe - just maybe - that the wants to trade Peppers because the size of the contract he'd be due is simply outrageous?

Posted by: Mike | Mar 17, 2008 8:15:18 PM