« Shocker: Denver gives Colbert 3 years, $7.2 M | Main | Olson, Chandler discuss free agency so far »

March 02, 2008

Turner vs. Panthers, twice a year

There might have been more clamoring among Panthers fans for San Diego running back Michael Turner than any other free agent before the signing period began Friday.

The Panthers opted not to pursue Turner, likely figuring the price was too high and the draft might hold a good, less expensive option to pair with DeAngelo Williams.

Well, the decision will be cross-examined closely for the next several years now that Turner has landed with the Panthers’ NFC South Division rivals, the Atlanta Falcons.

The Falcons reportedly gave Turner a six-year, $34.5 million deal, including $15 million guaranteed.

Even though Turner regularly excelled as a backup to LaDainian Tomlinson, that’s a steep price to pay for a guy who’s never been a full-time starter.

Remember that the Falcons are desperate for P.R. help after the Michael Vick fiasco and Bobby Petrino’s late-season exit as coach. So making a big splash with Turner should help the franchise get some positive pub in the short term.

What really matters is whether he turns out to be worth the investment. The Panthers’ defense will have a say because the teams play twice a season.

-- Javon Walker update: The likely reason the Panthers were listed in an Internet report among teams interested in recently released Denver receiver Javon Walker is because the Broncos dangled him to Carolina in trade talks for Kris Jenkins over the past week or two. The Panthers turned down all Denver offers and eventually accepted third- and fifth-round picks from the New York Jets for Jenkins. Though trading for Walker sounds glamorous, there are serious questions about the condition of his knees. Why else would Denver cut him?

-- Carter's options: Now that Keary Colbert has signed with the Broncos, the Panthers’ other free agent receiver, Drew Carter, is getting looks. He’s scheduled to visit the Raiders and Buccaneers.

Both teams make sense. Carter has excellent deep speed and Raiders owner Al Davis has always loved to stretch the field with the passing game. As for the Bucs, Carter caught a 46-yard pass against them to set up a go-ahead touchdown in a 31-23 win at Tampa Bay last season.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on March 2, 2008 at 06:06 PM | Permalink

Comments

If the Panthers don't resign Carter, they really need to pick up or draft another GOOD WR because as much as I like the Moose signing, he's not gonna take all the pressure off Smitty. Come on Hurney! Do something!

Posted by: JPanther | Mar 2, 2008 6:37:44 PM

OK ... I am big Panthers' fan and have really tried to be quiet and watch BUT what are we doing ???? ... I understand not over-pricing other teams' garbage, yet players that are still producing big should be pursued by our team. The Panthers have to get active and I don't mean cornerbacks that have been waived (or fired) twice within the past year.

Forget Michael Turner; ... Justin Smith, Alan Faneca, Bernard Berrian, and Jerry Porter all could have helped our cause yet once again we see teams in our division and conference get better by signing players that can still play at a high level and we are signing special team players.

Not getting Turner isn't a big thing for me, but trying to bank on the draft to solve all our issues, when you have young vets in their prime doesn't make sense. Why take a chance to draft a player WHO MAY NOT FALL TO YOU, when you can target a player who has proven in the league what he can do. Front office, Hurney, Fox, Mr. Richardson ... if you are reading this ... PLEASE, make a move, spend some money and let's turn this thing around ...

Posted by: V. Monroe | Mar 2, 2008 6:43:21 PM

Can someone please explain why Bryant Johnson hasn't been in to visit?

Posted by: JanitorDan | Mar 2, 2008 6:44:29 PM

Whatever Chuck Chandler, you and Stan were the ones that started all the noise about Turner signing here. Then he doesn't even get a visit. You are the cause of all the hype, douche bag.

Posted by: Bruce full Nelson | Mar 2, 2008 6:53:54 PM

V.Monroe....thank you....finally someone with the same exact point as ive been trying to put across...if you can get alot of other people now that actually think we're making good decision to agree with you...thats the hard part

Posted by: Dustin | Mar 2, 2008 6:54:44 PM

V. Monroe I agree with you too, our suppossedly active free agency period has been a sham, we are cutting guys that had no business being on the team the last 2 yrs to begin with and then we sign a mediocre return guy, Moose who will not help much, and sign Wharton to a contract that is not even close to being justified. meanwhile we let one of our best D players go for a couple of mid round draft picks.

I assume we are addressing all the offensive needs in the draft which has typically been a disaster for Fox/Hurney, two of the worst talent evaluators in the league. Even with the extra picks we may not get the help we need seeing as how we are going to be addressing FS, DE and OT in the early rounds as well as looking for a WR and RB.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 2, 2008 7:25:59 PM

I would say,Do not worry about Carolinas' season,We All know if Fox and Hurney fail this time,They are FINISHED,And they know this themselves,They have no choice,We seem to be gettin worked up over something we dont even know yet,This time, They have to have a plain,They Better!

Posted by: #1 Fan | Mar 2, 2008 7:34:25 PM

Yes, they do have a "plain." They might even have a plan. But if that plan fails, I really hope they have a plane. I hate to admit it, but I do agree about letting some of these FA's go to other teams. On the other hand, I absolutely agree that they shouldn't overpay for someone else's garbage. Hmmmmmm...?? I wonder if Richardson did fire Fox, hired Cohwer and Bill ended up making similar moves (since he has to "be on the same page" with Mr. Bojangles himself and all).... would the Fox opponents cut into Cowher in the same way they do Fox?? My guess is that they would sway with the wind and regurgitate anything Scott "couldn't be anymore" Fowler posts. Now that I've said that, I really do wish they let Fox go this year, just to see what would have happened. To add to that, I wonder if the Tuna would have picked Fox up to turn that 1-15 franchise around. Regardless, I really don't think anything would have changed in Panther country. Time will tell.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Mar 2, 2008 7:46:53 PM

I'll say it now, conservatism is what is killing this team. We don't want to take chances, so we keep a guy like Foster, because he's the safe conservative choice. Nothing against Foster as a person, mind you, but it was VERY apparent years ago that he wasn't the answer for our team. And then there's Colbert and Carter, neither of which has been very consistent, or very good lately. Much like with Foster, it was apparent that they weren't the answer years ago. Same thing with Morgan, who was great for a while, but hasn't helped the last 2 seasons.

And yet, here we are, the victims of the conservatism that kept these players on this team far longer than they should have been. Fox and Hurney need to develop an aggressive action plan to rejuvenate our team. We missed out on getting Turner, can anyone say "ouch?, and now we need to rely on Williams alone. I agree with Ben, Fox and Hurney ARE two of the worst talent evaluators in the league.

What good are those Jenkins picks that we got from the Jets if they're wasted on poor selections? At least Jenkins was proven, had talent and was passionate about the game. I'll be honest, I don't have very much faith that those picks from the Jets will be used wisely.

Posted by: Sammy | Mar 2, 2008 7:51:53 PM

The Panthers will never be a playoff team year in and year out as long as Marty Hurney is the GM. He has destroyed any chance to make the team better or to win this coming season. Not one visit from a capable FA, not even one! Richardson needs to decide if he wants a winning team or just the same old show each year. The marketing people can only make sugar out of sh*t for so long.

Posted by: jthomas | Mar 2, 2008 8:02:36 PM

The Turner money works out to a little less than 6 mil a year. Were we not paying Foster 5 mil a year?

Posted by: rick | Mar 2, 2008 8:03:45 PM

I just woke up from Friday. What's been going on?

Posted by: Scott Fowler | Mar 2, 2008 8:08:21 PM

Let's take a vote: who has the sweetest comb-over, Stan or Chandler?

Check out those bad ass pics above...

Posted by: Gforce | Mar 2, 2008 8:10:04 PM

i get on everyday hoping we at least pick up one player to solve one problem. i get its only day three and there is still a month to go with fee agents but every player that could make a difference is going to other teams and its seems those teams have been in the nfc south. we cant get contracts done on players we need and the contracts that are getting signed are way to much specially one that went to a no name cb that hasnt done anything in 3.5 yrs. we wait for the draft to solve every problem we r screwed. they said this off season was going to be a big turn around. right now it looks like we got worse

Posted by: Nieko | Mar 2, 2008 8:14:10 PM

Well, I agree we haven't been as active as I would have liked. I was working the night FA started and I kept hitting the refresh button to see all the great names we signed (it was a boring night), but none came. But, I just checked out the FAs still available and there is some legit personnel still out there. I hope there are talks that we aren't keen to.
They need to put a few more "star players" in the mix to turn this around, though. Maybe they will do something crazy this year and use the two extra acquired pics to move up in the draft. I think they have one big move planned and hidden that is going to make most of the cynics back off for a few months.
My point is, I guess, we shouldn't through Fox and Hurney under the bus just yet. It's only three days into the FA period. We don't even know if Turner is a legit starter. When Foster was a backup he showed flashes too. If there are no playoffs this season, then I will drive the greyhound myself.
One other note, I moved to AZ from North Carolina and I have noticed that Panther fans are the quickest to turn. I don't mean to wag my finger. I just wish ya'll were a little more supportive and constructive in your criticism. I can feel the smart a$$ coments brewing now. Oh well.

Posted by: Gut | Mar 2, 2008 8:26:51 PM

I could care less that the Panthers haven't signed any 'big name' free agents yet, but while Hurney sits here with his thumb up John Fox's ass our entire division is getting much better.
The Saints today signed Randall Gay out of New England, and Bobby McCray out of Jax. I know his sacks were down last year but we REALLY could have used McCray here, and they didn't have to pay an outrageous amount for him.
I just want to see them get a decent WR (Hackett, Johnston, hell even Carter back at this point), or a decent safety, or DE. Instead we've got a $2mill special teams player that basically didn't play last year Getting Jake Delhomme back this year is great and all but one man isn't going to drive this team back to the playoffs.

Posted by: Chad | Mar 2, 2008 8:34:19 PM

Bryant Johnson is a perfect example of players that have proven themselves that could be had for a decent price ... Fox wants a power back with good hands, in the mold of Stephen Davis ... look at LaMont Jordan ... we need a DE to play opposite Peppers (though J. Smith would have been good) Bobby McCray comes from the Jags and being coached by Del Rio knows his stuff ... these are 3 guys we could have been had for decent prices, been here to visit day 1 and will probably show up elsewhere ...

Posted by: V. Monroe | Mar 2, 2008 8:39:26 PM

SYRPIS wrote
"Yes, they do have a "plain." They might even have a plan. But if that plan fails, I really hope they have a plane."

That is the best thing I have read on here in a long time!!!!! Damn Funny!

Posted by: PPPPPPPPPPP | Mar 2, 2008 8:41:05 PM

Sorry ... just realized B.McCray was JUST signed ... this really sucks ... this is a VERY TIRING SITUATION ... We, as devoted fans DESERVE better ...

Posted by: V. Monroe | Mar 2, 2008 8:42:26 PM

Why is Turdovich and the unspecial teams coach still here. We have removed the opponents best 2 players in Foster and Colbert. Now let's get rid of these two bozo's.

Posted by: pslholder | Mar 2, 2008 8:48:46 PM

Well Hurney/Fox aka Rhichardson Puppets, I'm going to roll the dice this year and wait to buy single game tickets off of E-Bay seeing as how cheap they got last year during the season. Just remember fans make a TEAM.

Posted by: scott | Mar 2, 2008 8:53:59 PM

man im so pissed about our situationit makes no sense to the guy gut we are not turning our backs im a die hard fan im just disgusted at whats going on we should have picked up turner what makes it worst the shit doesnt end there he is in our conference so the mistake of not having picked him will haunt us for years to come hurney has got to be fired and im a fox supporter but the guys are right he can coach but he is a awful talent evaluator does anyone realize crumbler was avail and we did nothing he is signed to the titans now looks like we are in for a very long season i hate this because the front office guys said they got the message and we were gonna get busy this off season can somebody please tell them to spend some fuckin money bryant johnson is a must at this point and we need to heavily pursue brandon jacobs he would work well within our system i mean can we atleast hear that hurn ey brought someone in for a f-ing visit damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: capel67 | Mar 2, 2008 9:09:08 PM

And Randall Gay and Jonathan Vilma and so on....we just let out division out of all division rack up and doing so to gang up and kick our *$#'s...what in the world are we doing. We better not go to last place this year.

Posted by: Panther Fan | Mar 2, 2008 9:17:22 PM

If its gonna be another Bust-up season,I have to see it first to believe it!.

Posted by: #1 Fan | Mar 2, 2008 9:34:36 PM

We can still get Eugene Wilson if we get on it before the Giants Im telling you......
Bryant Johnson if Carter goes. They let Carter go to the Bucs it is going to be hell to pay for the front office if he kills us....look out....firing all over the place...

Posted by: PF | Mar 2, 2008 9:41:01 PM