« Panthers Add DT Ian Scott | Main | An updated defensive depth chart »

April 29, 2008

DTs Walker, Scott signed to contracts

The Carolina Panthers took a huge step towards strengthening the front four of their defense today when they signed veteran free agent  defensive tackles Darwin Walker and Ian Scott.

Walker's signing was expected; he simply had to clear a Carolina  physical today. But the addition of Scott as well solidifies what will  likely be a four-man rotation at the position, along with holdovers  Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis.

"We had a chance to get two veteran defensive tackles," Panthers  general manager Marty Hurney said today. "You bring experience and  talent into the mix with both of them. Obviously, we feel very good  and fortunate to have been able to sign them."

Both players battled injuries last year, but both passed Carolina  physicals.

Walker, who is 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds and who will be 31 in June,  has the higher NFL profile.  He has 28.5 career sacks and has had six  or more in three different seasons. Sacks are much harder for inside players to accumulate than for defensive ends.

"Darwin has the ability to rush the passer; he's a very good player inside," Hurney said. "Both of them are very good inside."

Scott, 26, has good size as well at 6-6 and 302 pounds.  He played in 49 games with 33 starts with the Chicago Bears from 2003 to 2006.  He was signed as an unrestricted free agent by Philadelphia last year, but was placed on injured reserve before the start of the season with a knee injury.

A fourth-round draft pick in 2003, Scott had 155 tackles, two sacks, and one interception with the Bears.

"Ian's a guy we have always liked," Hurney said. "We had been talking (with his agent) for some time."

Part of Carolina's lure for both players was being able to play closer to home. Walker is from Walterboro, S.C., while Scott is from Greenville, S.C.

-- Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on April 29, 2008 at 01:43 PM | Permalink

Comments

Interesting move to get Scott, too. I'll assume one of the two gets cut (because there will be more tied up in the rook, Hayden and he'll be more likely to get taken by another team), but it's good insurance against injury (which both vets are coming off of) either way.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2008 1:46:58 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking!!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2008 1:51:13 PM

No way.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2008 2:01:46 PM

Spank me.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2008 2:06:02 PM

I think they will keep both and release some to the WRs and RBs we have (unfortunately this may include Nick Goings). We are stacked at every position except DE, but I think they will come around and they are happy with what they have done so far.

Posted by: Panthers2003 | Apr 29, 2008 2:17:43 PM

No! Spank me

Posted by: Mr Monkey | Apr 29, 2008 2:37:54 PM

No they wont release Scott or Walker.

1. They know we need help on the DL.
2. Just said they want a four man rotation.
3. They both upgraded our defence by about 40-50%.

Our defence will be in the top 7-10 defence in the league!( My Prodiction )

Posted by: paul | Apr 29, 2008 2:39:40 PM

prediction

Posted by: paul | Apr 29, 2008 2:40:06 PM

Not really big names, but the Panthers have signed a lot of solid vets this year. Hopefully these guys, the rookies and a healthy Jake will take Carolina back to the playoffs.

Posted by: TP | Apr 29, 2008 2:53:40 PM

you sure you dont mean your proctition?

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Apr 29, 2008 2:53:47 PM

I don't think they're releasing Nick Goings. He's a valuable special teams player, and a good backup to have on the team. It will be interesting to see how training camp progresses as to who gets the boot though. This year could be fun!

Posted by: JPanther | Apr 29, 2008 2:55:19 PM

I just don't understand people. We had a patriots-like offseason, signing people to low-risk high reward contracts. We're ina great position because if we do well as a team, they'll want to come back, if they suck, we release them. We add two quality DTs (I'm not going to say great, because if they were great they wouldn't be FAs after the draft).

That being said, we clearly have too many players. After looking at the projected depth chart, there are about 17 too many players. Now you assume that a few are going to go on IR before the limit comes, I'd say travis taylor, fonoti, james anderson, curtis deloatch, wesley, one of the safeties (CJ wilson, I think, cause holt can do ST pretty well), and I don't think rosario will make it either. We have 5, count them, FIVE linebackers that could or should start, so look for a linebacker needy team (hello, new york?) to call.

Posted by: justin | Apr 29, 2008 3:12:53 PM

Speaking of Special Teams, they should pick up Jamie Silva from BC. Lacks size, but makes up for it with his hussle and hard hitting. He'd be a great special teamer to add to the mix.

Posted by: obx | Apr 29, 2008 3:13:29 PM

Is anyone else out there really excited for next season like me? On paper, this team looks incredible. I hope and pray that Jake Delhomme has fully recovered from his surgery and stays healthy this year. I can't wait to see the Panthers playing in late January at least!

Posted by: Jared | Apr 29, 2008 3:28:17 PM

I think he signed with the colts.

Posted by: JV | Apr 29, 2008 3:29:33 PM

Nah Justin, Rosario will make it. We'll keep him, King, and Barnidge, we usually keep 3 tight ends and all are young guys with good potential. The rest of the guys you named are very likely to be cut. I'm not sure about Fonoti necessarily, but definitely one out of Fonoti, Milford Brown and Keydrick Vincent won't make the team. Its also probable that most of our draft picks after Dan Connor will be cut and end up on our practice squad.

I love these DT signings!!! Nice to see Hurney get on the ball and address our last major need so quickly after the draft. We have quietly built what could be a very good team here...

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Apr 29, 2008 3:31:03 PM

I think this is by far one of the best drafts we have had. I think all the draft picks has a chance except the last one. As for cuts, it'll be interesting to see if Dwayne Jarrett is around after camp. As for Jake, I think we need to let Matt Moore take the majority of the snaps and possibly bring in a veteran QB for insurance. I think the receivers will be pleased with Matt at this point, he's going to be the one with the most reps come early training.

Posted by: Troy | Apr 29, 2008 3:42:07 PM

Jarrett is going to be decent this year if he gets any playing time. I think he has a ton of potential, but USC talent hasn't been translating to well lately.

Posted by: Panthers2003 | Apr 29, 2008 4:20:41 PM

Steve Smith has a super bowl ring! Now its the Utah Steve Smith's turn to make it a back to back Steve Smith affair. Seriously... one year in the league and the "other" Steve Smith gets that ring. Anywho... I agree with the general consensus: the Panthers look solid after these two surprisingly quick additions.

I believe the Panthers fight hard ever year and are always a win or two away from contention, so I always find their performances satisfactory. Heres to hoping they go over the top this year! Go Panthers!

Posted by: cinfx | Apr 29, 2008 5:51:14 PM

I wouldn't say that every need is taken care of, I'm still concerned about our pass rush.

Posted by: John in Concord | Apr 29, 2008 6:22:37 PM

Yes!! if ur against the panthers making the playoffs then stop talking on here cuz they will john fox is going to do everything in his power to make it in there so we will make it.

Posted by: paul | Apr 29, 2008 6:25:27 PM

no the panthers will be raw i say going to the superbowl!yeh and i see them at 12-4 we got wideouts steve, muhsin,hackett,and the great catching tightends rosario and king plus we get jake back and if he isnt ready matt moore showed he could start we have no needs any longer we got OL DL CB DB QB RB TE K P yeh i know what im talking bout!!!!anybody got something to say!??????

Posted by: cj | Apr 29, 2008 7:57:26 PM

I don't see how we can lose.

Posted by: Undefeated | Apr 29, 2008 9:15:33 PM

OK, Paul...let's count to four together: Kemo, Lewis, Hayden, Scott/Walker.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2008 9:16:02 PM

Glad to see the quick signings of Walker and Scott so soon after the draft to add much needed depth at DT. The way I see it we have two major questions heading into the season: Will Jake recover and regain his Pro Bowl form from a few years ago for the entire season and where will the pash rush come from this season??? Those are the big questions now. Do McClover, Johnson, or Brayton provide a rush off the edge or do the Panthers look to biltz with the LBs? If we can improve the pass rush on a consistant basis then our defense as a whole will vastly improve. For us to be successfuly offensively Jake must recover from his surgery and play at a Pro Bowl level. That is no knock on Moore. I just feel you are comparing apples and oranges if you compare a healthy, on his game Jake with Moore. Jake, when he is on, can make throws to win the game (Remember 2005). Moore is more of a game manager at this point. Moore is much better than any other backup we had since Jake don't get me wrong, but I just don't think he could make all the throws needed on a weekly basis all season long to win games for us if he was forced into action due to an injury to Jake. Thoughts??

Posted by: J Thomas | Apr 29, 2008 9:38:41 PM