« Preseason schedule announced | Main | More from Jordan Gross on O-line »

April 04, 2008

Gruden glad Jenkins is gone

0404jenkins PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden says he's a happy man that he no longer has to play twice a year in NFC South games against former Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

Carolina traded Jenkins to the New York Jets on Feb. 29 for third- and fifth-round draft picks.

"I did a celebrating drive down Dale Mabry (Highway)," said Gruden, referring to the road that fronts the Buccaneers' Raymond James Stadium.

"I gave (Jets) coach Eric Mangini the biggest hug I've ever given a coach and told him, `Good God, do we appreciate you taking that guy out of our division," Gruden said at a media breakfast with NFC coaches at the NFL owner's meetings this week.

The Jets aren't on Tampa's schedule next season.

Jenkins had some big games against the Bucs, including at Tampa in Sept. 2003 when he blocked a field goal and extra point in a dramatic 12-9 overtime win that helped propel the Panthers to a Super Bowl season.

Last season, Jenkins questioned some of his teammates' passion following a home loss to Tampa Bay, after which Carolina won its next two games.

But his weight problems, sometimes surly disposition, and eventual displeasure with playing for the Panthers and living in Charlotte led to his departure.

The trade was somewhat risky for Carolina because Jenkins, 28, still has the potential to be one of the best defensive tackles in the league.

It left the Panthers with only two experienced players at the position in Ma'ake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis. The Panthers will try to add help in the NFL draft and/or with a later free agency signing.

Panthers coach John Fox said the trade was best for the club and that a change of scenery might be good for Jenkins, too.

"I think Kris, early on, we got along great," Fox said at the media breakfast. "He went to two or three Pro Bowls and went to the Super Bowl. He missed the (2005 NFC) championship year because he was injured.

"We had a good marriage. It didn't last forever."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on April 4, 2008 at 08:36 AM | Permalink

Comments

If we get 2 great players at the 3rd and 5th that we got Jenkins for, its a great move. If not, it was one of worst moves I've ever seen.

Posted by: Brainiac | Apr 4, 2008 10:17:13 AM

I'm not glad he is gone. He was my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Peppers. I'm going to miss his fat ass.

Posted by: Pakmania | Apr 4, 2008 10:20:08 AM

I think DT Dre Moore out of Maryland will be a good pick in the 3rd round. He is big, strong, and fast. If we can get him coached up to speed, I think he will be a force to recon with. 6'4 311 lbs 4.88 40 time 31 reps. A good player that needs a little tweaking in order to be great. He has the potential to replace the hole left by Jenkins.

Posted by: Brandon | Apr 4, 2008 10:29:49 AM

Yeah I agree if we get two good players with the picks we got for jenkins then the trade make sense right...but We are talking about Hurney and FOX! the draft....idiotS! of the NFL so we will see. Trading Jenkins was stupid (thus far) His "weight problems" is such BS!! He doesn't weigh more than that fat peace of sh** Kemo!!

Which more is more rediculous! statement by fox......
Foster is better/more productive back than M. turner or Peppers down yr is just like Randy and Farves and can turn it around like they did.....u idiot!!! those are different positions!! and those players need help!! to produce....(those positions) Peppers (being he was single blocked the entire season) needs no help he needs to "TRY" which he doesn't.

Posted by: Cheven | Apr 4, 2008 10:47:09 AM

Cheven, come back when you learn english.

Posted by: ? | Apr 4, 2008 10:51:46 AM

it was good that we got rid of jenkins he was like a cancer to our team last year. If he wasn't so busy questioning everyone elses motives and made sum damn plays out there we would of won more games. every scince he got those major injuries he was never the same player ever again. plus damien lewis has put up more sacks than jenkins in the past two years in limited playing time. Panthers u doin a great job getting rid of the dead weight, continue to add quailty players like dj hackett and landon johnson and we will be back in the hunt.

Posted by: blackkoreanking@yahoo.com | Apr 4, 2008 10:53:17 AM

Cheven u da man. Our draft will suck after the first round like it always does. They got lucky with Marshall.

Posted by: mr nice guy | Apr 4, 2008 11:19:04 AM

I know one thing. the panthers will have about 8 less encroachment penalties now that jenkins is gone.
he was a good player for us but after 2003 he lost something.
there was just something about him i didnt like. he was not a run stuffer but he didnt collapse the pocket consistently either.
he was quick as a cat but either jumped offside or was out of position a lot.
the bottom line is the panthers would have lost him next year and gotten nothing in return.
ps.gruden is such an ass.

Posted by: ray | Apr 4, 2008 11:49:57 AM

bkk, you might not know this, but the job of a DT is not to get sacks. You want some proof that Kemoeatu and Jenkins were good last year? 3.8 YPC allowed (4th, NFL), Jon Beason: 140 tackles (3rd, NFL.)

You got it, too, mr. n. g.. I wonder, though. Did they get lucky with Jeff King? Did they get lucky with Steve Smith? Did they get lucky with Dante Rosario? Did they get lucky with Stanley McClover? Just checking.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 4, 2008 11:58:22 AM

Good analysis Procton. A DT's job is to make tackles 2 a game per Jenkins is not too swift.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 4, 2008 12:02:49 PM

No Procton is right. A DT job is to plug holes, not allow Yards per carry and to stop blockers from being able to get to the linebackers. Success of a DT can be seen on your linebacking crew. Lets load up on PASS RUSHERS at DE and on passing downs the only DT that should be on the field is D.Lewis. Put Brayton,Peppers,and McGlover or C.Johnson on the line,pin their ears back and say lets go. Or Draft Harvey or C.Cambell and let them get some too

Posted by: wowo | Apr 4, 2008 12:22:18 PM

No, Procton is right about a DT's job. And I agree, Jenkins was good and I think he'll do great in New York. But I'm still not sold on Kemo. And as for the draft Procton, I wouldn't be touting players like King, Rosario, and McClover just yet. They're not bad, but they've been just role players for the panthers and have yet to perform at a talent level higher than the round in which they were picked.

Posted by: Christian | Apr 4, 2008 12:44:16 PM

Forget that fat jack-ass Jenkins. All he did was complain, then proceeded to have offsides penalties called against him. He was injured two out of five seasons and did not have the explosiveness he had his rookie year. He complained about living in Charlotte, and said that there was nothing to do. What does he want to do stay out all night drinking? Wait, he has already done that. He is the dumbest player that I heard in an interview. Every other damned word was, "You know". Geez I am glad that he is not here so we do not have to hear him repeat that a thousand times. We used to have a contest when he did an interview, in which we took a drink of beer everytime he said "You know" , needless to say we were crapfaced by the end of the interview, you know? He has maybe two years left before a serious injury and then he will be gone, you know? Like a previous person said, it was get rid of him now, and get something for him, or wait until the end of the season and get nothing for him, you know?

Posted by: You know? | Apr 4, 2008 12:57:52 PM

"Did they get lucky with Steve Smith? Did they get lucky with Dante Rosario? Did they get lucky with Stanley McClover? Just checking."

hahahaha that is good stuff man. I could have sworn Steve Smith was drafted by Seifert before John Fox. Why don't you learn a little about the panthers before you try to critisize those that do?

Rosario is decent. McClover is a super scrub until proven otherwise.

Posted by: mr nice guy | Apr 4, 2008 1:18:12 PM

The Panthers traded him at the right time he is on the down side out his playing years plus he is a one gap player not two.He will struggle in the 3-4 really bad.

Posted by: Damon | Apr 4, 2008 2:39:57 PM

Im with Gruden...im glad hes gone too. Now we can stop giving up those third and shorts with encroachments. DT is strong in this draft plus dont leave out the possibility of grabbing Grady Jackson...now thats a gap plugger.

Posted by: randy | Apr 4, 2008 2:49:48 PM

Good for Gruden...hope the Bucs enjoyed their short stay at the top of the NFC South!

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Apr 4, 2008 2:52:05 PM

I'm happy he's gone but will still miss his antics. I was walking by the stadium early one morning and the team was walking out to the practice fields. Funniest thing ever was that jenkins, kemo, moorehead, lewis, and carr were all walking together and raping. Best part was when jenkins said something along the lines of F long division.

Posted by: pete | Apr 4, 2008 3:15:53 PM

Brandon, interesting you brought up Dre Moore, DT out of Maryland. I think he would be a nice piece, not sure if he will be around in the 3rd round.

Posted by: JDK | Apr 4, 2008 3:27:59 PM

I find it funny on every and any site I have gone to, nobody seems to talk about Frank Okam from Texas. The dude is massive athletic and sneaky fast(quick). I think in the third he will be there and be the biggest sleeper of the draft. I remember readin on him in ESPN last year. On one website I went to a lineman quoted that his hand punch jolted his eye further in his face. The guy is 6'4 347 nuff said. Jenkins replacement is right there
next should be Sims, Rubin, Laws, Moore or Red Bryant.

Posted by: faulk | Apr 4, 2008 4:10:04 PM

dre moore would fit nice here.....hell he is from here.$$$$$$$$$$$$ bring him back home to fill the need @ DT.JENK was over rated!!!!!

Posted by: darius | Apr 4, 2008 7:12:27 PM

I'm a fan i didn't want to see Jenkins leave but face facts, he didn't want to be there so let him leave they got two picks. you people are to judgemental about things. we all know the problems if the two DT's we have now can produce let them Peppers had an off year but you forget all the on years. everyone making a comment isn't perfect so shut up about it. we have i don't know how many drafts, if D.J. pans out we have a number two if he don't we have number 87. and then some potential behind him. Ryne, we have two catching TE, they not the best but hey they can block and relieve some pressure, we have DW at RB like you asked now they trying to get him some help. it's like the more they do the more some people complain. like mom's used to say, if you don't have anythign nice to say shut your mouth.

Posted by: panta4life | Apr 4, 2008 8:04:37 PM

BKK, Procton...chill out guys. You both are right. During running plays you'd like for the DT to keep the center or guard from shading off upfield and getting to the backers. On passing plays you'd like the DT to be able to come up the middle and collapse the pocket. The majority of the tiem you can't get freakish DT's like Tommy Harris or Warren Sapp (early in his career) that can do both so you settle for one or the other. If you have DE's that can rush the passer then you'll usually go for run stuffing DT's and vice versa or you get lucky and get a guy that can do both. I completely agree w/ panta4life...if Jenkins doesn't want to be here then don't let the door hit you in the arse. In my opinion he has peaked anyway. You look at his play early on compared to now...he's out of position a lot and when he does rush the passer he makes a mad dash upfield and the offensive lineman just follow upfield and keep him out of the play leaving a big gapping hole right in the middle. We didn't miss him when he was injured and I don't think we'll miss him now. Maybe he will play well for the Jets and he's the missing piece to their puzzle but I don't think so. I think he's a lazy, selfish loudmouth who needs to concentrate more on doing his job instead of trying to "look" like he is. Just my opinion and you guys can bash me all you want but I honestly think our d-line will be much more improved this year without him and I think him being gone will do nothing but help kemo. Think about having a guy on the line that constantly out of position and leaves the other linemen hanging out to dry...? He's a legend in his own mind.

Posted by: JT | Apr 4, 2008 10:52:04 PM

I'd like to stick my thumb in Pop-eye's (gruden) other eye! Always hated that goofy SOB!! On a lighter note, I love Tom Sorenson's poetic cander...

Posted by: SYRPIS | Apr 4, 2008 11:22:21 PM