« Panthers pick up Tar Heel | Main | Panthers find last pick at D-II Bentley »

April 27, 2008

Panthers grab Stewart's blocker

For the middle of their three seventh-round picks, and No.. 241 overall, Carolina selected 6-foot-7, 335-pound offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz, who blocked for the Panthers’ first pick, Jonathan Stewart, at Oregon.

One reason he slipped this far in the draft is a back injury he suffered in college. He had back surgery for a herniated disk after the 2006 season, forcing him to miss spring practice. He also slipped on the boards because of inconsistent technique.

--Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on April 27, 2008 at 06:22 PM | Permalink

Comments

....ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: CJ | Apr 27, 2008 6:30:18 PM

Hurry up Stan and tell us about this no name Guard.

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 27, 2008 6:39:43 PM

...exactly how many guards do the Panthers need....we have like 10 of them now??

Posted by: CJ | Apr 27, 2008 6:43:46 PM

too much competition at the line if u ask me...

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 27, 2008 6:44:25 PM

Stan and Charles don't have a clue on who this guard is so thats why they aren't writing about him.

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 27, 2008 6:46:02 PM

2 OG in the last 2 picks.... I really hope they talk to Dykes if he goes undrafted, and they better have at least one vet DT they've been quietly negotiating with. We improved all ever aspect of our team this off season save one, the d-line. We added Brayton (who I think will be a good player here), but gave up our best DT. As of right now the depth chart looks like this:

LE- Peppers, McClover
LDT- Kemoeatu, Brayton, Williams
RDT- Lewis, Hayden, Gibson
RE- Brayton, Johnson

That's a lot worse than last season.....

Posted by: Morandir | Apr 27, 2008 6:46:36 PM

Are you guys idiots? He's a frickin tackle and he's the bomb! He's a hoss and will dominate if he is taught the proper technique considering his size!

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 27, 2008 6:47:46 PM

We are talking about the OG they got with the 250 pick, not the tackle out of oregon.

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 27, 2008 6:48:34 PM

Sign Grady Jackson!!! DT

Posted by: paul | Apr 27, 2008 6:50:12 PM

For real, Paul is right.

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 27, 2008 6:50:47 PM

Anybody else think that Trey Wingo was annoying as shit all day long?

Posted by: TheMike | Apr 27, 2008 6:51:52 PM

I agree though, this opens the door to sign a free agent DT, or another OG...just kidding.

Posted by: TheMike | Apr 27, 2008 6:53:54 PM

If we sign a free agent DT like Coleman or some other veteran we will be set for the 2008 season. This team has a lot of depth at every position if you ask me. This draft looks like a top 5 draft this year (ranked right up there with what Kansas City did). Glad to see we didn't reach for guys like Rashard Butlers, Ryne Robinsons and that DT who we got in the 3rd (I can't even remember his name).

Posted by: wolfpackjj78 | Apr 27, 2008 6:55:23 PM

Its a good thing we didn't have to listen to Berman and Keyshawn all day. Keyshawn got annoying, especially after he ripped Jake yesterday. And Berman is, well, Chris Berman. Trey Wingo isn't so bad, he's supposed to ask all the questions, since he isn't much of a football expert.

Posted by: Thank God Berman and Keyshawn went Home early | Apr 27, 2008 7:31:24 PM

Grady Jackson is done. Lary Tripplett or Ethan Kelly would be much better options. And wolfie, neither Robinson, Butler, nor Ellison were reaches. They were drafted where they were supposed to be, they just didn't pan out.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 27, 2008 7:37:45 PM

How about Anthony "Booger" McFarland? He was a star in Indy and Tampa. He would be a great pickup at DT.

Posted by: Needa DT | Apr 27, 2008 7:54:06 PM

Um, this guy mostly played tackle out there, he's list as Offensive Lineman. If you do more research than just personal feelings because you don't know who he is, don't be so quick to judge. Ask Stewart if he thinks this guy is a no name and he'll tell you something different. He'll tell you that At 6'6" and 330 pounds, this guy made it possible for him to be a 1st round draft pick and allowed the Ducks to run average 320 yards a game. Is that the no name guy your talking about?

Posted by: rick | Apr 27, 2008 7:59:10 PM

And I probably should have read further down the posts, sorry.

RC

Posted by: rick | Apr 27, 2008 8:01:34 PM

Ahh...and I wasn't referring to Robinson as a burnout yet, either. When we finally got some continuity on the ST blocking units, he showed some flashes at the end of the year, and he was at least as good as Jarrett in the passing game.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 27, 2008 8:19:17 PM

Robinson is going to be great. Mark my words.

The draft was great. I am happy with our picks. Every one. I still wish they had gone a different way in the first because I am a huge DeWill fan and think he can be great if they let him be the guy, but I am even coming around to the idea just because I know how much better the pick will make the TEAM this year. I mean Jon Stewart and DeWill is a hell of a 1-2 punch.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 27, 2008 8:28:36 PM

And I agree that Berman and Keyshawn were absolutely horrible. Steve Young too. God they had zero chemistry, Young was acting like a spoiled brat, Berman kept trying to butt in and make horrible analogies, and Keyshawn just kept arguing... and arguing... I finally just muted it and listened to music.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 27, 2008 8:31:18 PM

Ryne Robinson + punt retun = Greatness??

I'll believe it when I see it. I mean yes he did show improvement late last year and yes he is the better right now than anyone else that we have had since Smitty quit returning (I guess that means Gamble) but I have not seen Robinson exhibit the qualities of an elite/game changing return man. Chris Johnson would be a great option as far as a game changing return man and that is one of the reasons why he went as early as he did. Greatness is the other teams bench standing up to watch your return man field a punt, greatness is the other team punting the ball out of bounds to void a return. I don't see that happening for a while with us unless we get someone else.

Posted by: rhackney | Apr 27, 2008 9:41:03 PM

*punt returner

Posted by: rhackney | Apr 27, 2008 9:44:48 PM

Robinson will do fine...the problem has always been the blocking. Key injuries to guys like Wesley, Melton, and Jamison really hurt us there last year.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 27, 2008 11:05:25 PM

this kid can play both guard and tackle and he is big 6-7 335 our line is huge.. i can see this kid being a practice squad tho but i mean it was the 7th rd wat did u expect.

Posted by: Kfields | Apr 27, 2008 11:37:02 PM