« New QB aboard | Main | OT: Touched by a tragedy »

May 19, 2008

Dan Morgan retires

Linebacker Dan Morgan announced his retirement today, according to the New Orleans Saints, who had signed him Mar. 11 as a free agent.

Morgan had played his entire seven-year career as a Panther. He missed the final 13 games of 2007 with a partial tear of an Achilles tendon, and had battled through other injuries -- including five concussions -- in recent seasons.

"When we signed Dan, he was committed to making a fresh start, and he was making every effort to rehabilitate the leg injury that he suffered last year," said Coach Sean Payton in a statement. "But it wasn't responding as well as he had hoped it would. We wish him well in his continued recovery, and he will be remembered for the excellent player he was during his career."

Morgan was picked by Carolina in the first round of the 2001 draft out of the University of Miami. He had a career total of 452 tackles, started 59 games and was a Pro Bowl selection in 2004. -- STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on May 19, 2008 at 07:32 PM | Permalink

Comments

Very surprising...as much of a gamer as he is, I know he gave it his everything to get back and leave with at least one last good season under his belt.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 7:47:35 PM

I loved watching him play... when he was able to play. I'm glad I don't have to root against him come this fall, but mainly I'm glad he won't suffer more football-related injuries. This guy gave all he had. It stinks to wonder what could have been. We still love ya, Dan!

Posted by: Matt Privett | May 19, 2008 8:06:04 PM

For selfish Panther fan reasons, I'm pretty relieved knowing the Panthers won't have to face Dan Morgan twice this year. On a personal level, I'm really dissapointed that his career had to end this way. He was an incredible guy, fierce competitor, and I think the best linebacker in Panther history (excluding injuries). I hope the Panthers are able to bring him back to officially retire as a Panther, like what they did for Stephen Davis. Thanks for all you did Dan!

Posted by: Jeff Jones | May 19, 2008 8:10:43 PM

Class act and I'm glad he'll be a forever Panther. Take care Dan of yourself and your family, you truly were one of the great Panthers.

Posted by: RH | May 19, 2008 8:12:12 PM

thanx dan for everything u were able 2 do here in N.C. playing 4 the panthers!

Posted by: paul | May 19, 2008 8:35:03 PM

Guys, just wanted to say I agree with the comments above. He was a class act and a good guy, and gave it everything he had on the field.

Posted by: stan olson | May 19, 2008 8:37:19 PM

Dan Morgan was a great Panther, despite the string of injuries. I loved watching the way he played the game and am proud that he was a part of our team.

Posted by: Billy | May 19, 2008 9:25:22 PM

Danielle,

I want to thank you for your seven years here. Even though you missed more games than you played, you were great!

Posted by: chris | May 19, 2008 9:56:06 PM

The prima donnas in this league can learn a thing or two from Dan Morgan. He played the game the way it should be played. I hate that injuries took away his career. Were he to stay healthy, I don't think it's a reach to say he could have been one of the greatest. Injuries aside, he was one of my favorite Panthers all time. Enjoy retirement Dan!

Posted by: Tom | May 19, 2008 9:59:01 PM

The guy was an anmimal on the field... left everything he had on it, but I lost all my respect for him when he was screaming for a bigger contract and left the team to sign with our nemisis. He could have stayed with the team the respected him had he resigned for a reasonable contract... could've even got plenty of playing time this year. Instead, he retires on a bad note and gets no time in this year, or maybe ever for that matter. Sorry, but after the Panthers had enough faith in him to keep him around (over Witherspoon) and sign him to a phat contract, despite his inability to stay on the field/stay healthy, he decides to crap all over the organization by doing what he did! How can any die-hard Panther fan respect this guy?? I appreciate his contributions to the team, don't get me wrong, but I feel vindicated now and think he got his just desserts. May he never resurface (unless it's for the Panthers at the league minimum).

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:06:35 PM

...as a backup that is!

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:08:13 PM

Chris, you're dead wrong. Out of 116 possible games, he played in 66. That means he missed 50 games, or missed your incorrect statement by a full season's worth of games. Further, a couple of seasons that he was healthy at the end of the year were 2003 and 2005. How did we do those year?

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 10:11:16 PM

I wish him and his family nothing but the best. Like many said earlier, it would've been great to see how his career would have flourished without all of his injuries. I honestly believe he could have been a Hall of Famer. God's Speed and Good Luck, Dan!

Posted by: Wayne | May 19, 2008 10:11:28 PM

Morgan wasn't "screaming for a bigger contract" at any point. Firstly, he had no responsibility to sign with us for a lower price than anybody else (see: Saints, New Orleans), particularly after we cut him. Secondly, how do you know the Panthers even offered him a contract after he was cut?

Further, you're crazy if you think the Saints are our "nemesis." I frankly don't care about New Orleans, and I don't know any Panther fan who does (outside of the fact that they're in our division.) The guy obviously wouldn't have been able to play for us any more than he was for the Saints, so why does it matter? You're the one "crapping all over" something...his good name.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 10:15:56 PM

I know that is tasteless and extreme, but I stand by it through and through. It may be slightly fanatic, but to me, if you aren't a little crazy for the Panthers then you are not a true fan.

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:17:39 PM

Syrpis, what the hell are you talking about?

Posted by: Robby | May 19, 2008 10:20:03 PM

And procton... "offer him a contract after he was cut"... how does that work??

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:22:16 PM

If Dan Morgan had never had an injury in the NFL he could have been the best to ever play to me and a lot of others.

Posted by: nick | May 19, 2008 10:22:39 PM

He didn't scream for anything, he was signed by a team who offered him a job after we released him. Do you have voices in your head telling you things? Take your pills man.

Posted by: Robby | May 19, 2008 10:22:42 PM

Posted by: nick | May 19, 2008 10:22:47 PM

I did assume the Panthers offered to keep him at a lesser contract though... you're right about that.

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:26:34 PM

Usually, a player will say they will take take a pay-cut to stay with the team (see Mike Rucker), in all fairness... and Robby, blow it out yer arse!

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:28:22 PM

A true Panther that gave his all. Will miss ya Dan!

Posted by: bryant | May 19, 2008 10:29:42 PM

Syrpis, you came on here ranting about not having any respect for him because you assumed that the Panthers offered him a contract? They didn't offer him a lesser contract. There was no more tread on those tires so they had to let him go. He was able to find someone to sign him, but finally figured that he couldn't play anymore, which may have come about two years late. What does Syrpis mean? Is that the kind of pills you take or something?

Posted by: Robby | May 19, 2008 10:31:52 PM

LOOK, to clarify.... he was upset for being cut, and was saying that he can go somewhere else and get paid well to do so... so I assumed that the Panthers wanted him to renegotiate. If I'm wrong..... whatever. He still signs with a league rival.... so some of you fans have to agree with me that at least that part of it was wretched... right?????

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2008 10:31:54 PM