« Panthers re-sign DeLoatch | Main | No timetable on when rookie Otah will practice »

May 28, 2008

Delhomme takes reps with first team

A few notes from the Panthers' first session of "summer school" Wednesday morning:

• Quarterback Jake Delhomme participated in the hour-long session, taking a more active role than he did in minicamp earlier this month (when he only threw passes with the other quarterbacks). He threw about 40 passes Wednesday while going through some drills with the first team. Delhomme said his elbow, which was operated on in October, felt fine.
  • Offensive tackle Jeff Otah, one of the Panthers' two first-round picks, didn't practice because of minor ankle injury. He also didn't participate at minicamp. Rookie running back Jonathan Stewart, as expected, wasn't there because school is still in session at Oregon and he's still nursing an injured toe. Linebacker Jon Beason, who was recovering from wrist surgery at minicamp, is back for summer school.
  • Recently retired Mike Minter made a surprise appearance, dressed smartly in a suit and wrap-around sunglasses.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on May 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

I don't like the way Otah hasn't been practicing. It worrie me alittle. Great to here Mike Minter is still around.

Posted by: capfolly | May 28, 2008 1:09:53 PM

Yeah I didn't think much of the ankle injury during mini-camp but this is a month later and he still isn't healthy enough to practice on a non-contact day of OTA's. I think this "minor" ankle injury is a lot more serious than the Panthers are letting on.

Posted by: Evan | May 28, 2008 1:13:16 PM

Even with a 'minor' injury, rushing the healing process will only make things work. Given how much the Panthers have invested in Otah, there's no desire to make things worse when they can simply wait a little longer and be sure that everything is OK.

Posted by: jomast | May 28, 2008 1:50:50 PM

No one should worry about Otah's ankle injury this time of year. This is when he gets majority of his mental reps in. I would be worried about it if the injury keeps him out of training camp.

Posted by: EG | May 28, 2008 1:55:03 PM

I too am worried about a nagging injury on a rookie. But like EG said, this isn't quite the time to start worrying too much yet. Let's see how he is in June.

Posted by: michael | May 28, 2008 2:28:26 PM

Wait, we have two injured draft picks? O yeah, we are the Panthers. We love injured players. You guys will fit right in!

Posted by: Jerry R. | May 28, 2008 2:37:02 PM

This is not a time to see what they's players can do, like someone else said, this is onli minni camps, little summer practices its more of a mental rep. process. There no need to roll and ankle or tweek a small injurie to make it worst. We need them in Spartinburg!

Posted by: Kai H. | May 28, 2008 3:40:29 PM

Well since Minter should up today,I wonder if he got to meet the new man with his Number,Mr. Godfrey? I remember a little blurb about Godfrey having to do some research on Minter to see who he was/meant to the Panthers Org.

You guys should get some info on that one for a blog.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | May 28, 2008 4:16:43 PM

Showed,my fault.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | May 28, 2008 4:17:56 PM

Jake practicing with the first team is the most important thing. Without him we are in for another long season, again. His progress has been nothing short of fantastic. Yet, all you supposed fans want to write about is Otah missing time because of his ankle.

Oh, I forgot, this is a Panther blog. Whinning and complaining is what is expected. Coming here to get my fix of Panther news has always been accompanied by you folks harping about something or another.

That being said, there are times when the comments are informative and ensightful. But, as a general rule, mostly just complaints about the blog inself, or my favorite, dissing people for their grammar and spelling. Geesh.

As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iamhubby | May 28, 2008 4:19:04 PM

Total tangent, but have you guys kept up with the continuing implosion of Todd Sauerbrun? Full article at SI.com:

How many second chances does this guy get and he complains how he wasn't treated fairly? He's "that person" who complains they never get a break and why do bad things always happen to them? The person who can't take responsibility for the fact that their poor decision making and mental abilities put them in all these situations in the first place.

I'm so glad we booted this guy out of Charlotte when we did.

Posted by: John | May 28, 2008 4:37:36 PM

Jeff nOTAh

Posted by: James | May 28, 2008 5:15:16 PM

Who cares if Otah isn't practicing right now. I would much rather have him in training camp which is REQUIRED than the voluntary stuff right now. Did you ever think they may just be cautious? As for Stewart, more power to the NFL for making the kids finish college if classes are still in session. Quit griping and realize that it's a new year. I am personally excited to see what can happen when it starts mattering!
Go Panthers!

Posted by: igotHARTman | May 28, 2008 5:19:32 PM

I'm not worried about Otah & the rest of the offense. My concern is whether the team will be good enough on the D-line to get other teams off the field. The Panthers could have a powerful offense & average defense. The D use to be feared & that's what I want to see happen again. Of course all this is mere speculation until they play a real game.

Posted by: CEREBRUM | May 28, 2008 5:52:15 PM

However the Panthers put themselves under a microscope with below standard seasons the last two years. There will be more optimism from fans when they start winning games.

Posted by: CEREBRUM | May 28, 2008 6:03:46 PM

Hey, Ghost of Sparta,
Mike Minter said he hadn't met Charles Godfrey yet, but looked forward to it. He thought it was funny that Godfrey had said he'd have to do some research on him, since he was wearing his number 30 now!
David Scott

Posted by: David Scott | May 28, 2008 6:54:51 PM

iamhubby, you spelled Geesh wrong.

Posted by: TheMike | May 28, 2008 7:09:37 PM

Thanks,David Scott,appreciate the heads up,Im interested in the convo. between the two.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | May 28, 2008 7:43:21 PM

I thought that Godfrey changed his number.

Posted by: SSGPat | May 28, 2008 7:48:14 PM

iamhubby, you also spelled inself wrong.

Posted by: CCU | May 28, 2008 7:50:54 PM

He also spelled insightful incorrectly.

Posted by: Hammer | May 28, 2008 8:38:29 PM

Hey I think all will be well this year. If you look at the roster there is only 5 guys above 30 years old. That means speed on defense and power on offense. Give Fox credit "It is what it is".

Posted by: tarpanthercats | May 28, 2008 9:23:07 PM

Anyone hear Chris Carter on Sportscenter tonight, he said Jake was "not a player", and the Panthers would struggle again due to poor QB play. While I don't see Jake as one of the "elite" QBs in the NFL these comments are ridiculous - it pisses me off when the rare coverage we get nationally shows complete lack of awareness of the franchise and its players. We likely only succeed this coming season if Jake returns to form.

Posted by: rayray | May 28, 2008 10:37:33 PM

Cris Carter, what a joke. I love those know-nothings on ESPN. Delhomme is definitely "a player" when healthy, and at his best he can be one of the best QBs in the NFC. As for the Otah and Stewart injuries, its nothing to worry about at this point. We can only hope that these 2 guys will not be injury-plagued throughout their time in Carolina, as seems to be the tradition around here unfortunately.

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | May 28, 2008 11:28:49 PM

WHY IS DELHOMME TAKING SNAPS FROM HALL OF FAMER MATT MOORE?!?!?!?!?!????!??!?!?? AAAAAAAH!

And hey guys...I'm glad we got Otah. We only had to give up a 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounder to get him! He'll be the best right tackle on the team behind Jordan Gross...wait, we're moving him to LEFT tackle? And he's not good there? Hmm...doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 29, 2008 12:44:48 AM