« Trade Travelle? Not likely | Main | Stewart only absentee for June sessions »

May 02, 2008

Delhomme throws at minicamp

Panthers03 There is no more mystery about how much, or whether, Jake Delhomme is throwing after undergoing elbow surgery.

In somewhat of a surprise, Delhomme threw 34 passes during individual drills Friday morning as the Panthers opened a three-day minicamp. He didn't throw during team drills.

Delhomme said his recovery is going great and that he hasn't had any setbacks. He said he hasn't thrown a deep pass yet, but did throw an equally difficult 15-yard out pass to Steve Smith Saturday.

Delhomme looked comfortable and at ease throwing.

So, it's thumbs up so far on his recovery, which is outstanding news for the Panthers.

In other news on Day 1 of camp:

-- Linebacker Jon Beason underwent wrist surgery Wednesday and didn't practice. He hopes to be back for the summer school practices in June. Rookie Dan Connor took Beason's place at middle linebacker.

-- Offensive tackle Jeff Otah also sat out with a recovering ankle injury. It's not serious and he likely could have played if the Panthers had a game this week. The team is simply being cautious. He isn't scheduled to practice during this minicamp.

-- Defensive end  Julius Peppers was used extensively at right end. Coach John Fox said Peppers could be moved to the right side, or could stay at left end, where he has been for the first six seasons of his career.

-- Rookie third-round pick Charles Godfrey worked with the first team defense at free safety.

-- Keydrick Vincent, a free agent signee who played for the Arizona Cardinals last season, worked with the first team at right guard.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on May 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

Comments

GO JAKE!!!

Posted by: Tim | May 2, 2008 12:32:23 PM

You know a year ago this time, no one would have been saying GO JAKE!!!!!!! It was all GO DAVID. Whos the man now?

Posted by: Jake | May 2, 2008 12:37:04 PM

*I'll assume there are no west-coast guys who haven't graduated. I guess Schwartz and Stewart would be the only ones, and I've heard reports that Stewart was there.

*If we play the way we want to, Jake shouldn't even have to throw 34 times in any game!

*Glad to see they're finally moving Pep to RDE...now when they run right at him, they at least won't have a TE to help.

*Interesting that Brayton was starting over McClover and Johnson. He'll have a tough time being a DT swing guy if he's #1 on the depth chart.

*Interesting that they've immediately got Dan Connor pegged as the first choice for backup at mike. I can understand him getting that shot over Seward, but hasn't Diggs played some MLB for us in the past, or was that just Draft? Johnson has also played MLB for Cincy, if he wasn't starting ahead of Diggs yet.

* Interesting read about minicamp@Panthers.com. They say that Otah will be participating (last minute decision?), and they also hype Milford Brown and Keydrick Vincent specifically. I might believe that to mean they've got the early lead on Fonoti at RG.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 2, 2008 12:41:43 PM

Thank you so much for the update Charles, especially the great news about Jake. If Jake comes back we can look forward to an outstanding year for the Panthers (Hopefully). 34 passes, wow, more than he would need to throw during a game. Sounds like he will be ready to go, or is ready to go.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the Beast. Did not know he needed surgery. Any news on why they did not do this surgery earlier? As important as he is to this defense, seems like it would have been mentioned before now. As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 12:48:51 PM

This is very interesting news. I'd Prefer to here that Otah was practicing but it makes since not to rush his injury. Beason having wrist surgery is a surprise also. And it's nice to know that Jake is coming back nicely.

Posted by: Jose Flores | May 2, 2008 12:52:35 PM

Would have thought that if Fonoti was at playing weight he would have the inside track. Between him Brown or Vincent I would take Fonoti. But, is that just me? It is only one of five practices, maybe he will get a shot later on in mini camp. My God I cannot take this.

News, give me news. I am jonesing over here. As always GO Cats!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 1:16:14 PM

I don't recall Digg's playing MLB for us at all. If he did, it wasn't last year. If I recall it was Morgan/Beason/Adam Seward who were the MLB's. BTW, what caused Beason to need wrist surgery?

Posted by: michael | May 2, 2008 1:37:31 PM

Please do not berate me if I am wrong, but I believe our starters at LB last year were:
Davis, Weak Side - Morgan, Middle - Diggs, Strong Side. Diggs beat out Anderson, Beason replaced Draft who replaced Morgan.
I think.

As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 1:52:21 PM

Davis actually plays the sam and Diggs plays the will position.

Posted by: CJD | May 2, 2008 2:09:08 PM

Dan playing MLB so soon. That is impressive. I am happy that Jake is out there busting his butt and throwing. Fox thinks he is bigger and stronger. We will see how it all plays out, but I am overly excited about this season.

Posted by: Panthers2003 | May 2, 2008 2:19:02 PM

Sam = Strong Side, Will = Weak Side, Mike = Middle. Was not sure which side Davis actually played, thanks for the heads up. Oh yeah, people were complaining that Davis could not cover tight ends, so that makes sense. Panthers just do not want to confuse their line-backers with all those big words. LOL. Sorry, just being a smart aleck. Actually, going to go mow my lawn and leave you guys alone. Had fun, and as always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 2:21:14 PM

My elbow hurts...

Posted by: Jake Delhomme | May 2, 2008 2:26:50 PM

Beason having surgery...for wht reason about his wrists? wht happend we have to have the start LB !!

Posted by: paul | May 2, 2008 2:36:52 PM

Way to go Jake. He will be the difference maker this season. I smell potential greatness. Go Cats!

Posted by: JPanther | May 2, 2008 2:45:06 PM

You say he looked comfortable and at ease, and then you put THAT picture up? He looks like he should be on the toilet.

Posted by: monstercat | May 2, 2008 3:10:46 PM

Jake definately looks like he's putting some mustard on that throw which is a great sign.

Posted by: rhackney | May 2, 2008 3:19:40 PM

hey paul. you fail. http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf

Posted by: english, paul, learn it | May 2, 2008 3:24:16 PM

I'm surprised that Godfrey was with the first team, they signed Holt and he's got the experience. Godfrey needs to learn the safety spot.

Also that Vincent got the nod over Bridges and the slew of other guards.

Little surprised also that Diggs didn't backup Beason. I understand letting Johnson get used to the outside, where he will likely play. He needs the reps on a new team; but given Digg's past I would have named him the back up.

Posted by: jbw | May 2, 2008 4:04:11 PM

never mind about Diggs, I see he was out also. So I guess it make sense that Connor go the start.

Posted by: jbw | May 2, 2008 4:08:12 PM

Jake throwing? Great news!!! As far as who practices first team at this point means nothing to me. To much time before real camp, but it sure is fun to talk Panther football. Anyone know what time they are on the field tomorrow?

Posted by: Sect523 | May 2, 2008 4:10:40 PM

jbw, the only experience Holt has at FS is watching WRs beat him deep over and over and over and over...
As for Bridges, they know he can play guard, but we're much less deep at tackle (where all we've got behind him is Reuben Riley and Frank Omiyale), so I'm sure he'll spend more time there.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 2, 2008 5:35:59 PM

I'm taking Smitty's job. Ya'll just watch the show. Ocho Cinco is goin to the Big Show.

Posted by: Ocho Cinco | May 2, 2008 7:33:43 PM

Posted by: Tim | May 2, 2008 9:32:23 AM

That's right Tim. I personally was never saying Go David! I am with Jake all the way.

Posted by: R | May 2, 2008 7:53:51 PM

Posted by: Kelso | May 2, 2008 8:11:04 PM

"I wish Jake well. But I believe our future is with Moore. I hope Fox opens up the competition for QB. We have only been an average team with Jake - and Smith has saved him frequently. If Moore, Smith and DJ could have the time to find chemistry I believe that is the future."

Kelso - we have only been an 'average' team with Jake?!!!! Give me a break - the guy has taken this team to the Superbowl and 2 NFC Championships games. Just how do you define 'average' ?
The guy is a leader and a winner and it could be argued, using last year as an example, that it was Jake saving Smith and not the other way around. Moore's time will no doubt come, but for now and hopefully a few more years, this team rightfully belongs to Jake.

Posted by: Jack Kerouac | May 2, 2008 8:35:19 PM