« A real Super Bowl run | Main | Dan Morgan retires »

May 19, 2008

New QB aboard

0519ricard The Panthers just announced that they've signed Lester Ricard, a free agent quarterback who spent the 2007 season on Jacksonville's practice squad after going undrafted. He started out at LSU, then transferred to Tulane. Ricard, 24, was a three-year starter for the Green Wave. He totaled 6,668 passing yards, 55 touchdowns and 31 interceptions in his college career.

He'll fit right in with the Panthers' other quarterbacks -- none of them were drafted. At 6-4, 228, he's the biggest of the bunch.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on May 19, 2008 at 02:56 PM | Permalink

Comments

So I guess theyve just given up on Quinton Porter and Drew Olson!!!!

Posted by: matt | May 19, 2008 3:11:42 PM

Ricard is a good QB...I liked him a lot in/coming out of college. He made things happen on a bad team (Tulane.) I doubt he beats out Baz or Moore for a spot on the active roster, but he could be worth keeping on the PS as Jake insurance or to compete for #3 next year.
He was a big-time recruit who started out at LSU. Plenty of places I've read thought he could be developed as an NFL-caliber backup pocket passer, and was pretty good in very limited preseason work last year (7-10, 106 yards, 0 sacks.)

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 3:39:40 PM

Quinton Porter signed to play in the CFL a week ago, and Drew Olson signed with San Fran earlier, so we didn't abandon them.

Sounds more like the Panthers want options for their practice squad besides just Taylor Tharp from Boise State.

Posted by: Air Borden | May 19, 2008 4:11:14 PM

thanks for the research done on our former reserve quarterbacks!

Posted by: matt | May 19, 2008 4:24:27 PM

I knew Procton had a comment

Posted by: Steven | May 19, 2008 4:29:57 PM

I agree with Stephen

Posted by: Cosmo Kramer | May 19, 2008 4:50:54 PM

Watch the language, please.

Posted by: Mike Persinger | May 19, 2008 5:03:14 PM

I like the signing of Ricard. He has potiential to becaome a backup for the future. If it was not for JaMarcus Russell being at LSU this guy would have probably started and would have been drafted. Also for you people using the extremely offensive language grow up.

Posted by: pantherfan90 | May 19, 2008 5:12:44 PM

sounds cool I don't know much about the kid however...SOMEONE!! please tell me...where Omar Jacobs is!!?? Former QB of Oregon St. I think Black guy....dread locks he spent a season with Pittsburg STeelers....I think he could be a GREAT! back up QB if someone would give him a shot.

Posted by: Cheven | May 19, 2008 5:37:37 PM

Omar Jacobs had fantastic production in college, but he made a dumb decision to come out early and never caught on in the NFL (I don't think he ever made a 53-man roster.) He's currently playing in the AIFL (AA ball for the AFL.)

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 5:49:02 PM

Who we have on the roster as QB is it,Those 3 is Icing Carolina need,I dont know who this new cat is sounds like poison ta me,Lets not mess stuff up now,Time to get it right,Who we have already is "IT".

Posted by: #1 Fan | May 19, 2008 6:45:03 PM

dude this guy isnt nothing he isnt going to be good in this league.

Posted by: paul | May 19, 2008 6:49:02 PM

Procton,

Was that you actually saying something positive about Matt Moore?

ie: "Ricard is a good QB...I liked him a lot in/coming out of college. He made things happen on a bad team (Tulane.) I doubt he beats out Baz or MOORE for a spot on the active roster,..."

Yep, I heard it. May be a stretch, but it was there.

Posted by: TheMike | May 19, 2008 7:04:28 PM

No, it was there...I have little [wait, wait, make that NO] doubt, TM, that Moore is among the best 3 QBs on the roster right now. I'll hold my reservations, though...Daunte Culpepper and Tim Rattay are still out there... ;)

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 7:25:16 PM

Procton there is a reason why Rattay and Culpepper are not working. Why would you want these 2 washed out Bums.

Posted by: Jeff | May 19, 2008 7:53:58 PM

It seems we have a talent for finding QBs that have been kicked to the side

Jake Delhomme,
Matt Moore,
Brett Basenza,
Lester Ricard?

Posted by: Matt A | May 19, 2008 7:56:45 PM

Jeff, I was joking...note the winky face [;)]

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 8:18:12 PM

I agree with Procton...With this upcoming season being a make or break year for the entire organization, I would feel way more comfortable knowing that if Delhomme went down, we had a seasoned vet QB right behind him (i.e. Culpepper). Moore still has not been truely tested, and to expect him to lead us to a Super Bowl if Jake goes down seems a little unrealistic to me.

Posted by: rhackney | May 19, 2008 8:19:25 PM

RH, I don't think Culpepper is the answer regardless. If Jake goes down early, we might as well chalk up the season as lost and get one of the young kids some real reps (i.e. not against teams resting their starters for the playoffs.) If it's a short-term injury, Baz and Moore's system knowledge is probably going to put them in just as good a spot as any vet would be in to contribute.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 8:42:48 PM

I know Mr. Persinger,I dont think anyone meant to type "Procton" , and I agree with you it is not a suitable language for this blog, so you will have to forgive them for typing the word Procton if you can.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | May 19, 2008 9:09:06 PM

FYI, I deleted all the posts with offensive language on this blog, and banned that poster. Not something I want to make a habit of, but lots of kids read this blog and I'll be vigilant about keeping it PG-13 at the most. Have all the opinions you want, but posting with other people's names, using foul language, or not responding to warnings will get you the hook.
Thanks for reading this blog, charlotte.com and The Observer.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | May 19, 2008 9:12:52 PM

Right...we'd rather see Ghostie talk crap about people rather than somebody contributing anything of substantive value.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 19, 2008 10:12:27 PM

So what! he finished his career with 6,608 passing yards and 55 touchdowns at Tulane.

Check these numbers out - 8,778 passing yards and 72 touchdowns at FLORIDA!
Why can't this guy get any run with the panthers! Hell all he did was win a national championship and was the MVP of the GAME! Lester can't even carry Mr. Leak's Shoes. I'm sick of the bias and racist points of views that the "experts" have on Mr. Leak's talent level...

Posted by: Reg Bell | May 19, 2008 11:31:58 PM

Yes, but the talent level that Leak was playing with at UF was far superior to what Lester was running with. Why would Leak want to waste his time coming here and starting off camp at 5th string anyway?? I wouldn't if I were him. There are much more appealing options out there. I would like to see Leak make it in the league one day and I think he will get his shot eventually. Just not with the Panthers.

Posted by: rhackney | May 19, 2008 11:57:42 PM

Procton's drunk. He just said 'winky face' on a football board. Gimme a hundred push ups, Nancy.

Posted by: Sgt Tee | May 20, 2008 12:24:52 AM