« OT: Touched by a tragedy | Main | Summer School starts Wesdnesday »

May 23, 2008

Re-sign Morgan so he can retire a Panther?

Donald Belk of Cary e-mailed this morning with an intriguing suggestion, asking the Panthers to re-sign linebacker Dan Morgan so he can retire as a Panther, much as they did with Stephen Davis and Steve Beuerlein.

Sure sounds like a good idea, Donald.

If Morgan hadn't suffered numerous concussions and an Achilles tendon injury that ended his career, he probably would've gone down as one of the NFL's best linebackers of this generation.

The Panthers released Morgan earlier this year and he signed with the Saints, but announced his retirement last week because the Achilles injury wasn't healing as he'd hoped.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on May 23, 2008 at 10:04 AM | Permalink

Comments

Do it Dan

Posted by: Billy | May 23, 2008 10:17:16 AM

who really cares?

Posted by: mcap | May 23, 2008 10:35:38 AM

Need to, he was intense!

Posted by: Bluzman | May 23, 2008 10:43:02 AM

I say yes. It's a classy gesture for a guy who really tried hard, but just couldn't get healthy.

Posted by: TP | May 23, 2008 10:56:03 AM

He most definitely needs to do it

Posted by: Panther Wolf | May 23, 2008 10:56:51 AM

It would be great, but I think he is under contract with the Saints so it would be hard for us to resign him.

Posted by: Billy | May 23, 2008 10:57:34 AM

billy are you really that stupid? He was released by the saints...therefore not under contract. duhhhh

Posted by: scottg | May 23, 2008 11:06:07 AM

It would be nice.But if not he will always be a Panther. Thats all he knows!

Posted by: bryant | May 23, 2008 11:11:18 AM

Why? He would be hurt and unable to make the ceremony!!

Posted by: E | May 23, 2008 11:11:19 AM

Why? He would be hurt and unable to make the ceremony!!

Posted by: E | May 23, 2008 11:12:23 AM

Aside from his remarkable statline from the superbowl......what did Dan Morgan do that was so amazing?

Posted by: just wondering | May 23, 2008 11:21:03 AM

"...one of the NFL's best linebackers of this generation" i dont know about all that

Posted by: Guillermo | May 23, 2008 11:21:48 AM

Posted by: Guillermo | May 23, 2008 11:22:07 AM

Hey mcap true fans care.if u r a "Panther fan "I bet u were kissing his butt when he set a Super Bowl record with 25 tackles.Now hes retiring after basically donating his body to the Panthers. And you dont care if he has the satisfaction of retiring A Panther .Im tired of you fake fans!

Posted by: bryant | May 23, 2008 11:26:26 AM

why would he even want to retire a panther seeing as how they continued to allow him on the field despite multiple concussions

Posted by: just wondering | May 23, 2008 11:35:00 AM

What did he do so great? You couch potatoes r so funny and have no respect.Your just critics. He cant help injuries. The point is he fought through all them and gave his best. A true Soldier. I bet if anyone of you fakes caught a concussion you wouldnt say that.And you darn sure wouldnt step on a football field the next year like he did.Your fakes.It aint all about stats and winning.Its also about heart and respect.Yall have neither.Glad u all arent soldiers.I guess if someone got shot and couldnt serve anymore youd criticize them if they hadnt killed anybody.A bunch of Kamis!

Posted by: bryant | May 23, 2008 11:59:41 AM

Posted by: bryant | May 23, 2008 12:04:58 PM

Morgan's heart needs to be cloned. Along with Smitty's when he finally retires. As Panthers.

Posted by: S.H. | May 23, 2008 12:41:45 PM

Sounds like a good deal, but these contracts normally py the player one dollar, Morgan's new contract should require him to pay the Panthers atleast a million.

Posted by: Mike | May 23, 2008 12:58:18 PM

This is a guy that probably knew his career was over, but went out and signed a contract with the Saints. It wasn't like he didn't make anything here in Carolina over the last few years, so he wasn't desperate for a payday. He played 5 games for us the last 2 years....5 games. During his career, he played in 59 games and missed 53. I'm sorry, injuries CAN be your fault sometimes especially when you're injury prone.

Posted by: J.S. | May 23, 2008 1:20:48 PM

I think we are missing the point of the question. The question if the Panthers would re-sign Morgan to retire as a Panther. The way it appears to me, if Morgan wanted to retire as a Panther, he would have done that. But he did it as a Saint. There could be some ill-will between Morgan and the Panthers or Vice-Versa. I do not know all the behind the scene stories, but it was very interesting that he did not sign a 1-day contract and retire a Panther. If you ask me, we will never again see Dan Morgan in Charlotte.

Posted by: Robert C | May 23, 2008 1:31:09 PM

Dan should retire as a Panther. He wasn't quite savvy enough to pace himself physically as a football player but he truly left his guts on the field every game and gave us a lot of good times. All ee needs now is a nice part time job stuffing velvet pillows with down feathers. In a padded room.

Posted by: Brian | May 23, 2008 1:37:04 PM

I would love to see this. He was one of my favorite all time Panthers. The defense was different everytime he was on the field, for the better. Outside of the game he was a stand up guy too. I met him once a while back and he was a humble unique guy. I would love to see him retire with us and I am saded I want see him play again and relieved that we won't see him on the opposite side of the field. Him with the Saints worried me.

Posted by: Trey Griffin | May 23, 2008 1:54:28 PM

It's the right thing to do, after his devotion to the team & the sport. I hope it happens!

Posted by: Melissa | May 23, 2008 1:54:44 PM

I agree with Dan retiring in Carolina. I'd like to see him maybe stick around and help coach the linebackers. If Dan's anything like he is on the field he could bring alot of intensity to a young group of linebackers, which is always a good thing.

Posted by: PantherRob | May 23, 2008 2:36:51 PM