« Delhomme throws at minicamp | Main | Minicamp afternoon notes »

May 02, 2008

Stewart only absentee for June sessions

Saw where some of you were discussing which rookies will miss the summer school camp in late May and early June because their college is on the quarter system.

It'll only be running back Jonathan Stewart, the first round pick from Oregon. Another member of the Ducks, seventh round tackle Geoff Schwartz, won't miss because he has already graduated.

And Stewart wouldn't be able to practice anyway because of his recovery from toe surgery. He said Friday his  protective boot comes off next week, that he hopes to be running by June, and expects to be ready for the start of training camp in late July.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on May 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Comments

Stewart not being able to participate does kind of scare me. Repititions are important to his growth and comfort level. Does give him time to study the play-book though. Still looking forward to him and DWill in the back-field. Any one heard anything about the Panthers maybe employing a 2 back set with DWill and Stewart? As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 12:59:17 PM

I wouldn't overly worry about a rookie RB getting the reps in early training as I would a WR. RB's tend to produce quicker than some of the other positions.

Posted by: michael | May 2, 2008 1:33:53 PM

I agree RB's can adapt quicker. Worried more about getting in sync with his lineman, learning blocking schemes, things like that. Blocking is what kept DWill off the field, do not want the same thing to happen to Stew. Plenty of time during training camp and pre-season to work on that kind of stuff. Just wish he could participate now as apposed to later. As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 2:13:48 PM

I am not worried too much even though comfort is important (ask Carr). I think Landon will play first anyway.

Posted by: Panthers2003 | May 2, 2008 2:21:06 PM

Im not wrorried either...studying is best for right now Dywane Jarret can use this advice.

Posted by: paul | May 2, 2008 2:40:27 PM

Did not want to bring up Jarrett, but, I feel that Stew has what it takes to make it in the NFL. He seems to possess that inner drive and determination needed to make a mark in the NFL. Jarrett still needs to prove he wants to be here. If Jarrett does not bring it during mini and training camps, he may not see the light of day in a Panther uniform. What is it about wide recievers? For every wide out that excels there must be a ton that do not pan out. Geesh. As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iambubby | May 2, 2008 2:53:42 PM

Not to say that im right but... if you watch some clips on Jeff Otah he plays on the left side... So why can't Jordan Gross play on the right and let Otah play on the left? its just stupid I guess.

Posted by: Cameron | May 2, 2008 3:49:54 PM

You all should be fired up on Jonathan Stewart. This kid is an absolute freight train, with jukes, vision, and a ton of speed. Mark my words, JS will end up being the most productive RB in this draft, hands down. Sorry Darren McFadden, but it is the truth.

Posted by: LaMike | May 2, 2008 4:54:32 PM

Greetings from Oregon. Panther fans are going to love Jonathan Stewart. Check out the YouTube clip from his freshman year (2005) where he drags about seven Houston defenders for 20 yards. Besides being a beast on the field, he's a high-character kid who won't be showing up on the police blotter. Good luck this season. Plenty of Panther gear flying off the shelves in the Pacific Northwest.

Posted by: RJBob | May 2, 2008 7:15:14 PM

I'm a long time panther fan, because my family is from NC, as well as a current Oregon Duck and I will promise you that J Stew will be better than any of you could ever imagine, I agree with LaMike he will be the best RB from this draft, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a premier RB in the NFL for a long time..GO Panthers and Go Ducks

Posted by: ORpanther | May 3, 2008 7:14:51 AM

Yes ORpanther, and thanks. Carolina fans are about to see something REAL special in JStew.

Best of luck to Jonathan, the Panthers, and the Oregon Ducks.

Posted by: LaMike | May 3, 2008 5:45:21 PM