« Jarrett pleads guilty to DWI | Main | One prediction: 10-6, NFC South champs »

June 24, 2008

Brayton's claim to "fame"

We've got a story on new Panthers DE Tyler Brayton set to go in tomorrow's paper, so it seems to be the right time for another Brayton anecdote.

Before Carolina landed him as a free agent, Brayton was with Oakland, and his claim to fame with folks in our area was probably his altercation with Seattle TE Jerramy Stevens on Monday Night Football in 2006.

With the country watching, Brayton kneed Stevens in the groin area.

He was thrown out of the game and after the league reviewed the incident, fined $25,000. Asked about it during OTAs recently, Brayton didn't dodge the question.

"I guess I'll address this one time and one time only with you guys,"  he told two reporters. "How far in the past is that? Two or three years? It was just one of those things where football is an emotional game, and you can't let your emotions get the best of you. But they did on that night. Things got out of hand.

"For that I apologize. And I've apologized before. I'm just moving forward, learning from that experience and keeping my emotions in check."

--Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on June 24, 2008 at 02:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

Props for owning up to it, but it seems a bit whiny to complain about how long it's been. If it had NEVER happened, nobody would be asking.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 24, 2008 2:21:50 PM

Let's be honest, Brayton did nothing more than what the rest of us have wanted to do, give Jerramy Stevens a swift kick to the groin.

Posted by: Al | Jun 24, 2008 2:31:20 PM

Perhaps this too is one of those moments where someone makes a bad decision and can't seem to shake the circumstances of it for the rest of their career? Brayton's doomed to answer this question everytime he goes someplace new. All anyone's ever known of him in this market is that one incident.

But, I'm sure the past 2-3 years for him...defined in his own mind...have been about many other plays and good production on the field...as opposed to continuing to dwell on that incident. So it bugs him, of course, that he has to keep answering it.

Regardless, he gets points in my book for patiently addressing it...again. And he'll get even more points if he demonstrates he learned his lesson by "keeping his emotions in check" for the rest of his tenure here, while making plays for us.

So, let it go, Stan. Let him address it this one time. And then never bring it up again unless he displays behavior reminiscent of that night...

My two-cents,
--Neil

Posted by: NSpicer | Jun 24, 2008 2:42:49 PM

Guess I have a little different viewpoint on this. While we should never condone such unnecessary violence, it would be good to see a little of this fire from the Panther's defense!

Posted by: Richard | Jun 24, 2008 3:04:07 PM

What Steve Smith did to Anthony Bright was far worse that what Brayton did to Stevens. And people have seemed to let go of what Smitty did, and they should do the same with Brayton

Posted by: matt | Jun 24, 2008 3:16:17 PM

Why does everyone always ignore that fact that Stevens tried to knee Brayton in the groin first? Watch the video on youtube, that's how it happened.

Posted by: Jerad H. | Jun 24, 2008 3:27:08 PM

I'd knee Stevens in the groin too, he is a tool. And though I had heard of it, I had never seen the incident, but after reading Jerad's post I looked on youtube and he is right, Stevens did kick Brayton first. Problem is, he wasn't caught immediately because when he kicked Brayton the play was still going on and they were surrounded by other players. Brayton just showed worse judgement in kneeing Stevens while the play was being whistled dead and while the two of them were separated from the group, making it easier for the refs to see. The league tried to answer for the discrepancy later by fining Brayton $10,000 dollars more than Stevens and saying that the difference was that Stevens did not connect while Brayton did, and insinuating that the refs had made that judgement and call ON THE FIELD. This is a bunch of crap. They were trying to create a unified front by standing behind their refs in their mistake. The refs ejected Brayton IMMEDIATELY when the play was whistled dead, without any conference. You are not going to tell me that the ref determined instantaneously that Stevens tried to knee Brayton and missed, then Brayton kneed Stevens in the groin, which warranted his ejection while Stevens was allowed to continue playing. The refs just plain did not see Stevens infraction, and regardless, who cares if one connected and the other didn't? It wasn't for lack of trying on Stevens' part.

A nice article I found to shed some more light on the incident:

So Procton, if you got in a fight and a guy kneed you in the groin and you retaliated, then you were ejected from the game where you immediately apologized while the other player refused comment, then the league fined you $25,000 dollars and you spent the next 2 years having to constantly answer for the event when everyone knows you are not going to shed any new light on an incident that is public record, wouldn't you get a little frustrated?

A better observation than calling Brayton "whiny" would be to call the reporters "bottom-feeders". We are in a down time for NFL news, so these guys took a completely unoriginal approach by attempting to regurgitate 2-year-old news by provoking a new team member with a controversial event from his past. Were they expecting him to say that an alien took over his body and lashed out against Stevens in order to set into effect a chain of events which will bring about the downfall of humanity? No. They didn't expect to hear anything NEW or breathtaking about the incident. They were attempting to get under the skin of a celebrity in order to draw a strong reaction and CREATE a news story for their readers/listeners. It would have been even better for them if he had REALLY lost it and started yelling at people and throwing chairs around. The typical meathead fan AND the holier-than-thou media would have eaten that story up. Kudos to Brayton for showing patience and class in his handling of the situation, and I hope he is able to get his career on track here and become a productive player for us.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 24, 2008 5:03:33 PM

It would have been funny if, as soon as he was asked that question, he kneed them in the groin...then waited for the next question.

Posted by: Karate Kid | Jun 24, 2008 5:45:57 PM

Well, we'll see if the issue is still there with Steven's. They are going to play each other twice this year. Him being back with Tampa Bay. Personally, if Brayton wouldn't mind I'll come down there and do it for him. Steven's had one good game and that was against us in the NFC title game in 05. What is he doing now...praying the Buc's don't cut him.

Posted by: Trey | Jun 24, 2008 6:17:48 PM

Steve, you've got it wrong. Not only did the question not CREATE a news story--the story runs tomorrow with no mention of the incident--I thought it gave Brayton a chance to come off looking pretty good with his reply. It was on the blog PRECISELY because it didn't fit the story, which you'll see when you read it.

Posted by: stan olson | Jun 24, 2008 6:18:12 PM

Damn, Stan Olson just eithered Steven

Posted by: Nas | Jun 24, 2008 6:39:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up Stan. That was a cute little tidbit. I remember that game, and they reshowed that play a million times. So the whole nation saw that Brayton was only retaliating. He just happen to get caught. You cannot watch a game where that sort of thing does NOT happen. Though most are maybe a little less personal shall we say. I for one hope he still has that level of intensity. Maybe it will be contagous, and our whole D-line rotation will play like they are posessed. As always, GO CATS!

Posted by: iamhubby | Jun 24, 2008 8:52:43 PM

Hey Tyler, just put up Pro Bowl numbers year in and year out and the fans/media will give you a pass.

--My two cents,

Steve Smith

Posted by: Steve Smith | Jun 24, 2008 9:12:52 PM

IamH, he strikes me as a pretty intense guy, but not a bad guy. And you're right about similar stuff happening on almost every play. Particularly in the trenches...

Posted by: stan olson | Jun 24, 2008 9:13:37 PM

Leave Tyler alone. He's over it. He's going to have a helluva good year here.

Posted by: DanCat | Jun 24, 2008 9:46:16 PM

Some punks deserve more than just a knee to the groin, and I could be wrong (have been before) but Stevens comes off as a bit of a punk... soooooooooo- maybe he earned the low blow. Regardless, I'm glad Tyler manned up to it responsibly. Good for him. It almost reminds me of Steve Smith maturing the way he did (of course Tyler did not have as many reoccurring incidents).

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 24, 2008 10:30:36 PM

Anyone reading this article on Jeremy Stevens would gladly contribute to a fund to not only pay for his fine put actually pay him for what he did. Jeremy Stevens epitomizes the spoiled football star punk "I can get away with anything because I am football player" attitude. Long article and very disturbing.

Posted by: Jayman | Jun 24, 2008 10:58:15 PM

I thought kneeing Stevens in the groin was what we brought Brayton here to do.

I'll be disappointed if it wasn't.

Posted by: JC | Jun 25, 2008 12:14:07 AM

Wow!! Just read that article! Not only was I right about the bastard SOB, but now I think the @#%! should be fried and THEN tried to see if he's guilty!! Talk about getting away with murder. What that F***er did to that girl was collossusly worse then actually dying. If I only had a time machine...

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 25, 2008 12:25:32 AM

The great thing about this is we have a "cult figure". Some of the guys in the Panther forum are all ready thinking about "NUTCRACKER" t-shirts. The Deadskins have the "Hogs" and the "Fun bunch" we have The Nutcracker!

Posted by: Roger | Jun 25, 2008 6:09:45 AM

I know Stevens got into some sort of trouble this offseason. Isn't he up for a possible suspension? I'm glad our NFC south brethren like to sign troublesome players. NFC south championship this year!

Posted by: Michael | Jun 25, 2008 8:23:05 AM

I won't say Stevens is a good guy, but if he were guilty, he'd be in jail. Neither happened. And yes, he's suspended for the first two games this year.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 25, 2008 9:02:10 AM

and if O.J. were guilty he'd be in jail too

Posted by: matt | Jun 25, 2008 9:48:32 AM

'if he were guilty, he'd be in jail' ???!!!! Are you in la-la land? Everyone knows he's guilty, not only of this, but of many other offenses. If he were just an average joe-blow, he'd probably be doing 20-30 years by now. Stevens deserves to be repeatedly kicked in the groin until the thing falls off. Jerks like him have no business being in the NFL, or in free society!

Posted by: Wayne D | Jun 25, 2008 10:10:12 AM

'if he were guilty, he'd be in jail' ????!!! are you in la-la land? Everyone knows he's guilty, of many despicable offenses, but he's just been constantly protected by the good-ole-boys system. If he were just an average joe-blow, he'd likely be doing 20-30 years by now. Stevens deserves to be repeatedly kicked in the groin until the thing falls off. He should not be allowed to be in the NFL, nor roam free in society.

Posted by: Wayne D | Jun 25, 2008 10:16:01 AM