« Answering your Panthers questions | Main | Jarrett pleads guilty to DWI »

June 17, 2008

Panthers claim center off waivers

The Carolina Panthers claimed center Pat Ross off waivers Tuesday. Ross (6-foot-3, 305 pounds), who played at Boston College, wasn't drafted in 2006 but has been on practice squads in New England, Seattle and Indianapolis. The Panthers also waived offensive lineman Eric Tunney.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on June 17, 2008 at 03:13 PM | Permalink

Comments

6'3" 305lbs, in comparison to our other o-line signings he will need to eat some and get a little taller if he wants to stay on this team. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Roger | Jun 17, 2008 3:26:51 PM

Looks like there may be a little doubt on Kalil.
Hangartner can handle center effectively as well.
Should be interesting.

Posted by: Panthermike | Jun 17, 2008 4:22:39 PM

This in no way shape or form means there is doubt in Kalil. Ross will be lucky to make our practice squad. This must just simply be an upgrade from Eric Tunney.

Posted by: wowo | Jun 17, 2008 4:28:34 PM

6'3 305 lbs. is decent size for a center. People seem to be forgetting that the center is usually the smallest player on the line. Of course, I'm also referring to those who have been talking about Kalil being a little too small for the new line.

Posted by: mofo | Jun 17, 2008 4:46:53 PM

This is common for the Fox era...
wait to see what other teams do (could be off on this one), sign some low-profile FA or two, and then start signing your draft picks (starting from the second day list first).

On that note, who do you think they will sign first (from the draft list)?

My money is on that OT named Schwartz (or something like that).

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 17, 2008 4:53:58 PM

Tunney was a guard, and there are already too many on the roster with all the offseason signings. We only had two centers.

Posted by: Ashe | Jun 17, 2008 4:56:39 PM

***waits to read Procton analysis of Pat Ross that he really liked him coming out of BC and that he was impressed with what he saw while on the Indy and NE practice squads****

Posted by: matt | Jun 17, 2008 4:58:29 PM

Matt -

You are DA MAN!

Posted by: Right on matt! | Jun 17, 2008 5:20:01 PM

He was signed b/c Kalil and Hangartner are locks to make the team but need competition to push them in camp.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 17, 2008 9:53:48 PM

Dave, you're all over it...He's almost certain to be cut by the time they cut it to 53...

Posted by: stan olson | Jun 17, 2008 10:00:48 PM

Was surfing the net and ran across this story. Loved it so much I decided to share.

Posted by: hillbilly | Jun 17, 2008 10:19:56 PM

Pretty irrelevant either way, but Tunney was one of our few UFAs this year who had any pre-draft buzz at all.
Might be worth noting, though, that Ross was more highly ranked than our old boy Will Montgomery by most sites going into the '06 draft.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 17, 2008 11:19:04 PM

I think this move is more about having too many Guards (releasing Tunney) and not enough Centers (picking up Ross) to spread out the reps in camp. Ross would be a longshot to make the team. He's just going to be insurance, and that's provided he even makes OUR practice squad.

Tunney would have been released, too, during the roster cut-downs. But better to have one more Center you'll cut than an extra Guard you don't even need to work into the rotation in camp.

Just my two-cents,
--Neil

Posted by: NSpicer | Jun 18, 2008 7:29:27 AM

Hey hillbilly, good article, but have you ever heard John DeLong speak? He's on 610am quite a bit. I think the guy is a slobbering drunk. He always sounds like he pounded a fifth of Jack Daniels before he walked on the set. He slurs everything he says, makes stupid points and comes up with ridiculous arguments. It's really quite annoying, and I can't believe Billy Packer's son allows him to come on in his condition.

Hey DeLong lay off the De booze!!!

Posted by: bill hilly | Jun 18, 2008 7:38:40 AM

I agree !00%, Bill Hilly. But I have never been a huge fan of Primetime anyway. Most of his panel fits the mold of DeLong and I find it pretty annoying. They are constantly sucking down food and blabbering like sport elitists. That's the one turn-off I have when some writers go on-air, they pretend to be know-it-alls, like Delong, and pretend to know more than even the most diehard fans. If they were on a show about grammar and spelling then they might be able to stick their nose up in the air. With that being said, I work at 90.5 WASU FM at App in the sports department. I work on a sports talk show, Sports yApp, and we had Charles Chandler on right after the draft to talk Panthers football and the man was nothing but gracious, so there is someone who has his head on straight. And if Chuck, Stan, or David, are reading this, we would love to have you guys on again! The show airs Mondays and Thursdays at 7 and it streams online @ WASUrocks.com. We usually talk about the largest national stories and NC sports. And I can promise we won't have that fool DeLong on-air. I know some of you are always looking for any bit of sports entertainment you can get so I thought I would just throw it out there, we're not half-bad for a bunch of college students.

Posted by: mountaineerdynAsty | Jun 18, 2008 10:39:38 AM

I think Pac's show is great, but I I'm usually disappointed with the guests, altough Stan is a good one as is Steve Reed, and Buckner, but other than that, they are arrogant jerks.

Posted by: matt | Jun 18, 2008 11:22:22 AM

mountaineerdynasty...NEVER HEARDA YA!! How can you not like me?? I'm bout to crush some chest capacities up in here!

Posted by: QCB | Jun 18, 2008 12:56:58 PM

I'm the best winer line puller ALLLIIIVVVVVVVEE!!!!!! Aks my cuz Bootsie bout it

Posted by: qcb | Jun 18, 2008 1:51:17 PM

...Now I've heard of a mountaineer...and I've heard of "doin tha nasty"...but I ain't ev

Posted by: QCB | Jun 18, 2008 5:18:18 PM

.....but I ain't eva heard of a mountaineerdynasty.....NEVER HEARDA YA!!

Posted by: QCB | Jun 18, 2008 5:21:27 PM

There was a report on Ken Lucas making the statement that "Charles Godfrey had things simplified for him in practice." I may be taking this out of context, but that really rubs me the wrong way.

First of all, doesn't that statement contradict what the organization and the media have been saying and doing all along concerning Godfrey?? Their theme has been how well he has been adapting. "Even Steve Smith gave him a compliment!"

Secondly, it sounds too much like Lucas is saying...

I know he has been on the bubble the past couple of years and that Richard Marshall has really turned some heads, but Lucas should really do a better job of unifying himself with all of the team (at least publicly for crying out loud) if he wants to maintain his value as a good NFL player. Moreover, if that is indeed what he meant by that, then I'm officially not a fan of his. So take that Lucas... LOL!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 18, 2008 5:37:35 PM

..... last blog was cut off!! Here is the rest of my statement:

Secondly, it sounds too much like Lucas is saying...

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 18, 2008 5:39:28 PM

*** Secondly, it sounds too much like Lucas is saying...

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 18, 2008 5:40:31 PM

*** Secondly, it sounds too much like Lucas is saying... "sure he's learning how to ride that bike well, but it HAS TRAINING WHEELS ON IT." Whether he is saying that out of envy or he's playing dirty to help keep his own status and reputation intact, he shouldn't be publicly going to the media and deflating one of his team-mate's abilities like that.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 18, 2008 5:41:40 PM

Technical difficulties.... sorry folks.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 18, 2008 5:42:21 PM