« Special guests visit Panthers workout | Main | Holt bound for Hall of Fame, Panthers too? »

June 03, 2008

Rosario making most of opportunity

• The Panthers ran several plays for tight ends during Tuesday's summer school practice and backup Dante Rosario made the most of them. Rosario looked athletic and fast as he went up high to grab a few passes over the middle. With catches like that, Rosario might become a go-to guy on third downs, although Jeff King will likely continue to start and rookie Gary Barnidge could also see playing time.
  • Funny moment came after practice when offensive line coach Dave Magazu called for the "young guys" -- meaning rookies -- to stay behind for a few moments. Some veterans told second-year center Ryan Kalil that "young guy" also meant him. Kalil looked around for a few seconds and almost headed back. Rookies Geoff Schwartz, Jeff Otah and Eric Tunney stayed behind, although vets Travelle Wharton and Keydrick Vincent did, too.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on June 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

I think it would be great if Rasario could become a tight end that can stretch the field a bit, something we've been lacking from that position, its not a knock on King who seems to have decent hands, but only seems to be effective inside of about 8 yards.

Also, that second story was really not funny at all.

Posted by: m | Jun 3, 2008 1:28:52 PM

Yes, the fact that Wharton and Vincent stayed behind made the rest of the story unfunny. If Wharton stayed behind, now I question why Kalil left...

Posted by: Dan | Jun 3, 2008 1:52:41 PM

Rosario should be our starting TE because he has a lot more big play ability than King does but we should also keep King in the mix because he does catch almost everything thrown his way in games.

Posted by: Evan | Jun 3, 2008 2:14:36 PM

Come on, guys. Get a life and give the writers a break. It doesn't have to be the greatest or funiest piece you've ever read...it's a BLOG!!!!!

Posted by: YouBunchOfLosers | Jun 3, 2008 2:24:13 PM

Some of you guys are just pathetic. I'm talking about the ones who find something to criticize in all of these blog posts.

Posted by: ingrats | Jun 3, 2008 2:54:28 PM

I comment on the entire blog, not just a piece of it. I'm thrilled about the Rasario article, it was very insightful, the second part was just lame, I'll leave the sugarcoating up to you.

Posted by: m | Jun 3, 2008 3:23:20 PM

I like Rasario's big play ability, I've never been sold on King, he has good hands but lacks speed and agility.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 3, 2008 3:48:35 PM

Who's this Rasario fella you guys are discussing? I see a Dante Rosario on the roster, of course. But no Rasario...

C'mon guys. Get the player's name straight before you sing his praises.

Posted by: NSpicer | Jun 3, 2008 4:05:12 PM

It didn't sound like those guys were sugarcoating anything to me "m", but allow me to do the honors... Don't you have anything else better to do than to come on here and make off-base and over-the-top obnoxious criticisms of the people that feed you these tidbits of information?? I think you should just be thankful they are reporting anything from behind closed doors. So, PLESE, put a cork in it. Thanks.

So how was that for "sugar-coating"???

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 3, 2008 4:14:15 PM

King is no more than a dink and dunk receiver and thats cool but it would be nice to have a guy who can stretch it in the middle. Rosario and Barnidge hopefully will add another dimension to the passing game that we haven't seen since Proehl left.

Posted by: gorilla1boy | Jun 3, 2008 4:23:52 PM

You guys are amazing...

Posted by: I read you losers everyday | Jun 3, 2008 4:26:17 PM

I was impressed with what I saw of Dante Rosario last year; as a receiver and a special teams guy. If he can block like Jeff King, those two guys will be bucking for first position this year, no doubt.

Posted by: KatFanKitti | Jun 3, 2008 4:45:20 PM

Rosario showed some nice flashes, but I think he'd be better as a lead blocker than as an in-line blocker because he's lacking in size. He played FB in college, and I think we'd be smart to get him some reps at that position with Hoover getting up there in age. If we're serious about the power run game, King should definitely start, and Rosario should play in 2TE packages or in the slot for 3WR sets.

Oh, and an interesting note out of Oakland about everybody's favorite pariah wideout:
"Coach Lane Kiffin says that among all the Raiders' receivers, Drew Carter has developed the best chemistry with JaMarcus Russell."
With Russell's arm and Al Davis' love for the big play, Drew might just finally shine if he can get his hands around the ball.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 3, 2008 4:55:19 PM

Michael, dude. Dante is 6'4, 250. Jeremy Shockey is 1 inch taller, and 1 pound heavier. As long as Dante doesn't become a whiny butt, I think he will rock.

Posted by: KatFanKitti | Jun 3, 2008 5:03:31 PM

Dante has got the big play ability and showed it last year with a couple 40 yd+ plays and 2 tds. As for Michael's concern with Hoover's age, which is a concern, don't forget that Tim Shaw played running back in High School and left Penn State with a 4.5 forty. I am just glad every where I look is legit competition!

Posted by: InsiderInfo | Jun 3, 2008 5:25:37 PM

Last year at the Burg, Brad signed my shirt, and Tim Shaw ignored me. I hope Tim gets released. Hehe

Posted by: KatFanKitti | Jun 3, 2008 5:36:27 PM

And actually, Timmy S looked more like a baseball or hockey player, anyway. Mark my words, boys.

Posted by: KatFanKitti | Jun 3, 2008 5:47:25 PM

Syp..I am thankful for their reporting, I thanked him for the coverage of Rasario, however i see nothing wrong with stating a fact: a writeup which claimed to be funny was not funny at all. Sorry if my criticsm of the author offended you so much.

Posted by: m | Jun 3, 2008 6:32:01 PM

Procton,carter's problem is he has hands of stone.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 3, 2008 8:24:19 PM

I think we should try Rosario and Barnidge at tightend. Barnidge ran in the 4.6's at the combine but needs to beef up in the weight room and improve his blocking skills.

Posted by: Reggie | Jun 3, 2008 9:25:25 PM

If JaMarcus can throw a decent ball, it really doesnt matter how impressive Carter has been

Posted by: matt | Jun 3, 2008 9:47:24 PM

True enough, Sam, and we certainly shouldn't have paid him near what he got, but it would only add to the whiny din if he goes off and has a 650-yd., 6 TD season in Oakland.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 3, 2008 10:05:01 PM

So what happened to Christian Fauria, I don't remember hearing anything about him being cut or retiring. Anybody know?

Posted by: TheMike | Jun 3, 2008 10:22:05 PM

Is Jake still taking snaps? How does Kalil look, speaking of?

Posted by: BigMikey | Jun 3, 2008 11:39:20 PM

Fauria won't be back...I don't recall him being released or retiring either, but now that we've added Barnidge to the mix at TE, we have no use for Fauria. I'm not really sure we ever did, since he had all of 2 or 3 catches for us, but now we really have no use for him at all.

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Jun 4, 2008 12:49:12 AM