« Biggest play in Panthers history? | Main | Spartanburg bears down on Panthers »

July 17, 2008

Connor, Taylor sign Panthers contracts

The Carolina Panthers signed two rookie draft picks Thursday, third-round linebacker Dan Connor and seventh-round defensive end Hilee Taylor. Connor was a first-team all-Big Ten selection last season at Penn State and Taylor was second-team all-ACC at North Carolina.
The Panthers, whose training camp starts July 26 in Spartanburg, have signed five of their rookie draft choices. Still unsigned are first-rounders Jonathan Stewart and Jeff Otah, third-rounder Charles Godfrey and seventh-rounder Geoff Schwartz.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on July 17, 2008 at 03:51 PM | Permalink

Comments

Hot damn! Panthers.com hasn't even reported on this. Way to be, Mr. Scott.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 17, 2008 4:15:10 PM

Agreed, good job on getting the scoop David. Now maybe some of the posters carping about the lack of signings from bigger name draft picks will stop posting.

Posted by: Ben | Jul 17, 2008 5:03:00 PM

We're lucky Panthers.com has game updates by wednesday every week.

Only a week to go, lets get our 1st rounders locked up, Marty!

Posted by: ???? | Jul 17, 2008 5:04:07 PM

Good to hear...sounds like Godfrey is close to signing as well. Interesting that we have our 3rd and 5th rounders on board before Schwartz, a 7th rounder. Hopefully we don't waste any time getting Stewart and Otah signed though, neither of those guys can really afford to miss a day of camp given how important they both will be to our success this season.

Posted by: Haywood Jablowmi | Jul 17, 2008 5:13:44 PM

Yeah, good job getting it out there at 12:51pm. profootballtalk.com had Connor at 10:08am. Almost a full 3 hours earlier.

Posted by: Screaming Sheep | Jul 17, 2008 6:32:35 PM

The Conner pick was announced some time ago..right? I think that this guy could be really, really good, I suppose he will just serve as the backup for Beason and a possible replacement if we lose Beason on down the road.

Anyway, I know it may be a longshot for Taylor to have any real impact but I'm very excited to see him play

Posted by: matt | Jul 17, 2008 6:44:15 PM

i have a good feeling about taylor, he's undersized for sure but he's a high energy guy with decent speed and i love his attitude.

Posted by: rjk | Jul 17, 2008 8:09:24 PM

I think Taylor would be a good outside LB if he could learn seeing as how he's undersized as a DE...Connor was a STEAL and I think he'll be a great Panther. Let's get Stewart and Otah locked up ASAP!

Posted by: JPanther | Jul 17, 2008 10:09:21 PM

Taylor I don't know if he's gained weight or not...but No way on the planet earth! he can play DE at 240lbs! (if that)

Posted by: Cheven | Jul 17, 2008 10:31:29 PM

Yes, I think Connor and Taylor will be amazing Panthers. But I'm excited to see Barnidge play. I think he was an underratted TE in the draft and I think he will do the team a lot of good.

Posted by: Mortified Penguin | Jul 17, 2008 10:33:50 PM

Good to hear. The Panthers need all their guys in camp, especially Stewart since he hasn't done anything since bowl season.

Posted by: TP | Jul 17, 2008 10:45:13 PM

My fault, guys. In trying to clear out a bunch of posts by one of your resident trolls -- who I'm targeting for banishment if he or she doesn't cut it out -- I deleted some, a bunch actually, that didn't deserve it. My apologies.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 20, 2008 11:18:56 AM

Four days left until training camp opens.
Three more picks to sign.
Two of them 1st rounders.
One hopeful season hangs in the balance.

--Neil

Posted by: NSpicer | Jul 21, 2008 7:23:17 AM

now now mr. persinger, dont make me reincarnate as something FAR FAR WORSE. you think youre busy now.

Posted by: watchdoggin | Jul 21, 2008 12:42:32 PM

i would love to see the panthers experiment with a 3/4 defense, id love to get as many of these stud l.bs on the field as possible.shaw,connor and taylor,who projects as a l.b.we may have to do it as a necesity if the d line starts breaking down.leonard little doesnt scare anybody and walker and ian scott are question marks.if we cant get a front four push we need some creative blitz packages.we have the safeties to do it now.i just dont think fox and trdo are creative enough. i grew up a giants fan with parcells as head coach and belichick as my defensive coordinator.talk about being spoiled.

Posted by: ray | Jul 21, 2008 10:11:13 PM

What do you think the chances of us getting brett are he is the greatest and we need a quarterback with experience that could lead us to the promise land.

Posted by: Jordan Frosc | Jul 23, 2008 6:41:48 PM