« Thoughts on DTs, etc. | Main | Robinson injures knee in practice »

July 31, 2008

Gamble: That cast was frustrating

Cornerback Chris Gamble said Thursday it was frustrating for him to play the final five games of last season with a cast on his right hand. He broke his thumb in against Green Bay and missed the next contest against New Orleans after having surgery.

"I tried to stay focused and play through it," said Gamble, who had his only interception of the season in his first game back from the injury, against the San Francisco 49ers. "I've got a passion to play, even if it's not with two hands. But that cast just slows you down. You don't feel pain, you just feel like you don't have another hand to play with."

Gamble becomes a free agent after this season. He said he's seen the contracts that other free agent defensive backs have gotten, such as Asante Samuel, who just signed with the Philadelphia Eagles for a 6-year, $57 million deal. -- David Scott

"I see that, that puts a smile on my face, knowing I could be one of those guys," said Gamble, who is in his fifth season and is tied with Mike Minter for second on the Panthers' all-time interceptions list with 17. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on July 31, 2008 at 02:40 PM | Permalink

Comments

Gamble gets a lot of crap, in part because he did so well so early, but I thought his performance after the broken thumb last year was pretty admirable.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 31, 2008 2:53:35 PM

is gamble worth asante samuel money? its nice having three legit cornerbacks, but i dunno.

Posted by: matt s | Jul 31, 2008 2:59:36 PM

Gamble will fly after this season, Richard Marshall will get his spot. Gross and Peppers are free agents after this season, I dont see how they can get all three back.

Posted by: Shawn Gibson | Jul 31, 2008 3:18:40 PM

Matt, I probably agree that he's not; however, I don't think he'll get it anywhere, either. When it comes to resigning Gamble, I think it's pretty clear: they'll either let Gamble go and renegotiate Lucas' contract, or they'll cut Lucas and use that money on Gamble.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 31, 2008 3:22:09 PM

i agree with mp... gamble did well right off the bat then struggled and always seemed to be making mental errors and going for the big play instead of covering. last year i think he fixed that and looked pretty damn good.
our secondary is gonna be pimp this year.

Posted by: tom | Jul 31, 2008 3:24:26 PM

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, I have a feeling that Marshall and Beason both are going to demand big contracts in the coming years, and if Davis has a productive season, the same could be true for him

Posted by: matt | Jul 31, 2008 3:50:14 PM

What in the hell is up with new website set up. Everything is out of place

Posted by: Tim | Jul 31, 2008 4:37:57 PM

I would like to agree that he won't get big money elsewhere either (he's certainly no Asante Samuel, or Nate Clemens), but we've seen how some teams get totally swept up in the free agent frenzy. That's why smart teams like Indianapolis don't get caught up in it. Gamble's a good player but not great. He gets burned a lot, and he's not the smartest kid on the block. The Panthers should probably plan on having to find someone to take his place next year, and don't waste all that extra money - they're gonna need it (assuming they want to keep Peppers).

Posted by: Wayne D | Jul 31, 2008 4:51:33 PM

I agree with what's been said on Gamble, so that brings up an interesting question. If we had to make a choice as of right now who would you rather keep, Gamble or Lucas? Granted the real decison will come after seeing them play this year obviously but I would be interested to read people's opinions.

Posted by: JV | Jul 31, 2008 5:20:18 PM

NEWSFLASH: Gamble is not a shutdown cornerback. Any team that gives him that type of money is FOOLISH.

Posted by: McSwollenvich | Jul 31, 2008 5:50:32 PM

Gamble also benefited from the Panthers having a good pass rush. His interceptions were the result of being patient and letting the D-line rush the passer and intercepting a poorly thrown ball.

Posted by: GGrrrr | Jul 31, 2008 6:21:19 PM

While I like Gamble,If he demands or salivates over what type of contract he believes hes going to recieve then Im not at all worried about him,The main reason is because the best Corner on the Panthers team is playing the nickle slot. Id take Richard Marshall starting over Gamble anyday.

BUT,

Ken Lucas isnt getting any younger and Gamble is entering what is supposed to be the prime age in the NFL, I d rather see Lucas cut,Gamble stay and Marshall working the other corner spot,then draft another nickle back which the Panthers have great success in finding.

Who knows,if Salley were able to stay healthy and make the squad or Wilson,Teal whoever,then the option for moving Godfrey to nickle for a year to adapt to cb play in the nfl,followed by fulltime would work as well.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Jul 31, 2008 7:53:53 PM