« Wednesday morning update | Main | Wednesday afternoon update »

July 30, 2008

Ian Scott update

DT Ian Scott, injured in this morning's practice, is on crutches and wearing a stabilizing brace on his left leg to protect his knee. With the help of the crutches, he is able to put some weight on the leg. However, he is also being carted around Wofford's campus some, too.

The Panthers are awaiting word on tests to determine the severity of Scott's knee injury. He was signed in the offseason to provide depth on the defensive line.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on July 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

Comments

That does not sound good. I don't want to speak too soon, but better the injury bug bite him than a starter....

Posted by: Michael Bolton | Jul 30, 2008 1:10:28 PM

Is your name really Michael Bolton.....anyway, hopefully Hayden will use this opportunity to step up his game and work his way into the rotation

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 1:29:26 PM

Except for picking on Michael's name, I'm wit you matt. Like I said before, with all the injuries, it will be interesting to see how well Nick Hayden does with his time on the clock. Just imagine if he actually manages to pull one out. How many contributors/starters would that make from this year's draft? Again, they have gone through a couple of staff changes in their scouting department as well during Fox's tenure. Hopefully, all the people who put this year's draft together will be around for a while.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 30, 2008 1:53:07 PM

BTW, I went to school with a Michael Jackson, (waaaayyy before the "real" MJ got all twisted). Even then, it wasn't easy to carry that name. Wasn't there an NFL WR named Michael Jackson a few years back? ...Played for the Ravens or Browns maybe??

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 30, 2008 1:55:27 PM

Can you believe chandler gets paid for this drivel?

Posted by: brett favre | Jul 30, 2008 2:05:08 PM

Michael Jackson was a WR for the browns.

Posted by: john | Jul 30, 2008 2:08:08 PM

everyone is talking about going to a 3/4 but just because we have a lot of good linebackers that doesnt mean they fit a 3/4 scheme. think about outside linebackers in a 3/4 i.e. demarcus ware, shawne merrimen, jason taylor. no of our linebackers fit that mold. the closest we have to that is JPep if we moved him we'd have a hole at DE and have to take one of the LB's off the feild so it's really not that simple.

Posted by: matt s | Jul 30, 2008 2:11:57 PM

Syrpis...its funny that you mention that about the Carolina scouting department. Take this for what it is worth because of the source ,but it is still an interesting read about how the Panthers scouts havent received contract extensions.

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 2:16:01 PM

Yes, there's no better source for information than that gossip rag PFW. I always trust the mysterious "multiple sources."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 30, 2008 4:16:09 PM

thats why I said "take this for what it is worth because of the source"

Of course you have to be skeptical of it, but I would think that there is some truth to it that the scouting department has not received extensions but I dont necessarily believe the part about Cowher being the successor if Fox were to be let go.

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 4:23:40 PM

Yep, it's my real name. Each year it seems as though 1 Defensive lineman steps up from an injury (i.e. Wallace, Carstens, Moorhead, etc.). Hopefully someone will step up this year. I would hope that since D-Line is probably our weakest link, Fox and Hurney will be eyeing the waiver wire once preseason cuts are made. We have never been a team that makes any last second moves or signings with the exception of the trade for C. Harris, but it would be nice to see us pick up a quality veteran DT if not, a DE if we can squeeze them under the cap.

Posted by: Michael Bolton | Jul 30, 2008 6:30:28 PM

When they signed Scott and Walker, I believe the Panthers brass was counting on at least one of them to stay healthy and contribute...not sure how bad Walker's injury is but it's listed as "head" and that never sounds good. Typical training camp stuff...can't avoid it. Its no secret we need help at DT though.

Posted by: DB | Jul 30, 2008 7:00:48 PM

I think I see some jealousy in Procton about PFW.

Posted by: Billy | Jul 30, 2008 7:06:58 PM

yes , i too have had to endure a lifetime of silly comments. yes ,i know he was a receiver for the colts.my father was so impressed with him after the 58 championship game he gave me his name.

Posted by: raymond barry | Jul 30, 2008 9:09:54 PM

DB, Walker's "injury" was basically dehydration.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 31, 2008 8:59:22 AM