« Spartanburg bears down on Panthers | Main | Hurney: Stewart's toe OK »

July 21, 2008

Panthers sign Godfrey, Schwartz

Charles Godfrey, a rookie whom the Carolina Panthers hope will be their starting free safety this season, signed with the team Monday. Godfrey, the team's third round draft pick from Iowa, worked with the Panthers' first-team defense in mini-camp and "summer school" workouts recently. The team also signed offensive tackle Geoff Schwartz, a seventh-rounder from Oregon.
Running back Jonathan Stewart and offensive tackle Jeff Otah, the Panthers' two first-round draft choices, haven't yet signed. Training camp begins Saturday in Spartanburg.
The Panthers also released free agent tight end Chad Upshaw on Monday.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on July 21, 2008 at 04:56 PM | Permalink

Comments

Free Safety... not Strong Safety. The Strong Safety spot is well managed by Chris Harris!

Posted by: Jomast | Jul 21, 2008 5:04:40 PM

Free Safety! He don't look so free to me! He's expensive! :)

Have a nice day.

Posted by: Free Safety | Jul 21, 2008 5:24:46 PM

A little positional accuracy in regards to the team you're paid to cover would be nice David. Of course, you've written your six sentences for the day, so I suppose you're on break.

Posted by: resident jenius | Jul 21, 2008 5:31:43 PM

Actually, given how often Fox talks about the safeties being interchangeable and the fact that Mike Minter--who couldn't cover to save his life--was our starting FS the last two years of his career, the Panthers themselves could have been the ones who said free safety.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 21, 2008 5:36:45 PM

Guys I'm not sure what the problem is with David's update. He did write free safety, not strong safety. Can you guys read?

Posted by: PantherMann1 | Jul 21, 2008 5:47:45 PM

He's since corrected the statement. Try and keep up.

Posted by: Jomast | Jul 21, 2008 5:57:14 PM

N.O. trading for Shockey should guarantee them a couple of victories against us since we can't cove the TE to save our life,

Posted by: Hackney | Jul 21, 2008 6:10:42 PM

Hackney,

You just stated the most important fact all day. This could be big trouble for us.

Posted by: Steven | Jul 21, 2008 6:23:36 PM

Any fan with any common sense would have realized the mistake and been appreciative of the update. Correction, maybe not you with your condescending posts. Bored?

Posted by: PantherMann1 | Jul 21, 2008 7:14:12 PM

I think a more accurate statement would be that Dan Morgan & Mike Minter could never cover tight ends...Morgan always got sucked under and Minter was late due to his lack of speed. Since we have Beason & Godfrey now...this should, hopefully, change. Shockey will be hurt by week 6 any way if he doesn't rip that team apart before then constantly whining about not getting the ball...they can have him.

Posted by: JT | Jul 21, 2008 7:16:49 PM

PantherMann1,

You'd think that, but Scouts, Inc. reported the Godfrey news on Friday, which means that David had three whole days to compose his six sentences and still got the position wrong. This wouldn't be excessively irritating by itself, but these kind of mistakes in aggregate represent the sort of sorry, lazy, unmotivated reporting that drives me to get my Panthers news from anywhere besides the hometown paper.

Posted by: resident jenius | Jul 21, 2008 7:31:04 PM

2 things.
I agree with resident jenius. These guys get paid to work about every third day of the week. To know the positions of the players they cover shouldn't be so difficult.

JT, I don't think you could be more inaccurate actually. Post-Minter and Morgan last year the Panthers gave up good games to the great Owens Daniels, Billy Miller, Donald Lee and Bo Scaife. Not exactly Pro-bowlers wouldn't you agree? The Panthers more often then not get dominated by the TE position, even without MM and DM.

Posted by: ds | Jul 21, 2008 7:43:46 PM

DS..not sure where you see these monster games:

Daniels = 5 rec, 58yds 0td's
Miller = 4 rec, 42yds 0td's(in 2 games)
Lee = 5 rec, 49yds 2td's
Scaife = 5 rec, 35yds 0td's

I'd give you Donald Lee but considering the fact that we had a "field kick" by Kasay returned for a TD on us in that same game...I'd call that one a bad day. 19 receptions for 184 yards & 2 td's between four players hardly qualify as dominance. I'm not disputing the fact that we've been embarrassed by some tight ends before, namely Alge Crumpler, but simply saying that we're showing improvement in covering tight ends over past players.

Posted by: JT | Jul 21, 2008 8:14:13 PM

I stated back in march that the "Aints" would get Shockey,everyone said ok so what,big deal then dismissed it.

Its been a long process but believe it or not the "Aints" held ground and did their job,aquairing a good weapon for cheaper than expected,but they still jumped to soon.

Either way Landon Johnson should be able to spot him,Godfrey will get hurt a few times this year no doubt,being a rookie and all so hopefully you folks dont label him Colin Branch.

Either way I personally know Mr. so called "G-Shock" and he is very injury prone much more easier to "F" with in the head, even if T.D were able to rattle him and get in his head he would drop passes all day.

He is to Egotistical.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Jul 21, 2008 8:39:31 PM

i would have loved to see shockey and jason taylor in panther uniforms,especially for a 2nd round pick and a throwaway late rounder.i like otah but we gave up a lot more for an unproven rookie.peppers and taylor may have been special together. im just concerned that shockey will do a alge crumpler on us. thomas davis better be ready.

Posted by: ray | Jul 21, 2008 9:23:40 PM

JT,
Yeah I purposely didn't mention the "good" TE's that had good games vs. us...Crumpler (twice) and Witten. I accidentally left off Eric Johnson and Jerramy Stevens, and if you combine Clark and Utecht stats they were good too. So by my count that's about 10 or 11 games out of 16 where TE's had better than average, quality games. Also FYI, your stats on Miller are inaccurate. He had a TD in the 2nd N.O. game and last I checked any time a TE scores that's pretty impressive. Also, I never said anything about "monster" games, I said good.
I believe you must be comparing TE stats to WR in your judgment here, apples to oranges when talking about anyone not named Gates. I'll stick with the facts and believe that the Panthers give up way too much to the TE position and the Saints getting Shockey doesn't help.

Posted by: ds | Jul 21, 2008 10:03:54 PM

i completely agree with you ds. remember a couple years back when ernie conwell destroyed us.he caught 3 more passes that entire year.weve always had terrible problems covering the tight end. i think vrabel caught a t.d against us in the super bowl.minter,morgan and davis were partly to blame but the coaching staff needs to gameplan better.

Posted by: ray | Jul 21, 2008 10:36:49 PM

Godfrey will get hurt because he's a rookie? What?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 21, 2008 10:57:05 PM

DS...you got me, Miller had a TD on us. Just like I've said in my previous posts...I'm not saying we've done a good job at it, I'm saying we've done BETTER w/ different personnel. It is ideal? Ofcourse not, I still have visions of the game Crumpler scored the winning TD a few years back and wasn't even touched...he just marched down the middle of the field and waltzed right into the endzone. My point being...lets see what happens this year with Beason and some safeties that have speed and can cover the field. Don't forget to take into account the pass rush as well. If a tight end has a big game...sorry...GOOD game and the receivers have average games then that's usually a sign that there was no pass rush and as well all know, our pass rush was nowhere to be found last year. Too much time for the QB to go through his progessions. I don't think it's the coaching and that's something people always cop out on. The coaches can't cover the tight end. 2003 is more proof of my point in that Vrabel scored a TD on us by what I said originally. Morgan would get suckered inside & Minter didn't have the speed to get to the play before it was too late. If you look at the stats from the TE's you mentioned, most of them averaged 8-12 yards per reception which means they were eating up the middle of the field and whose responsible for the middle of the field on defense?

Posted by: JT | Jul 21, 2008 11:40:12 PM

Ray.....One of the reasons for Conwell's lack of production that year was due to the fact that Marlon Mcree laid that vicious illegal hit on him half-way through the game. Before that hit, Conwell was lighting us up. I believe he missed about 8 or 9 games that year with a broken jaw, or face that matter. Conwell was never the same, and he was a solid TE for the Rams for a number of years. That hit had to be one of the hardest hits that I have seen in person, besides that hit that Thomas Davis laid on that guy in the Green Bay game that ended his career.

Besides the point.....We can't and never have been able to cover the TE. I'll believe it when I see it. This move should force Foxy to develop a game plan on actually stopping TE's. Or at least try.......

Posted by: Hackney | Jul 21, 2008 11:50:47 PM

JT, Take into account the pass rush? You mean the one with Kimo, D. Lewis, Peppers ,and Brayton? That is definitely a downgrade from last years line and we barely got to the QB last year as was. Camp has yet to start, but unless Peppers has a breakout year, our D-line will be mediocre at best. IMO

Posted by: Hackney | Jul 22, 2008 1:02:31 AM

Am I wrong to think that a TE's production can actually go UP vs. a good pass rush? Look at Jeff King's season last year, when teams were sending 8 guys full on at David Carr every down. When a QB has someone in his face immediately after the snap every play he doesn't have time to get the ball downfield to WR's...he checks down to his TE 4 yards past the line over the middle or his RB in the backfield.

Posted by: ds | Jul 22, 2008 7:15:00 AM

Good point ds. But there's no point of rushing if you don't have a way to stop the check-down receivers. And yeah, JT, when I stop to think of our d-line for this upcoming season my stomach begins to churn. Pleeeease Charles Johnson be a break out player.

Posted by: Christian | Jul 22, 2008 7:57:14 AM

Hackney...supposedly our middle rush will be stronger w/ DLewis but we'll see. I completely agree with you as far as the DE's are concerned, that's a huge question mark. We have a lot of "if's" at that position. To me, they work hand in hand so we'll see I guess. I still think our coverage in the middle of the field will be improved but we'll see in the next 3 - 4 weeks whether it is or not. DS, I would think it would depend on the play and who the QB's hot read is. There again that's where I think our speed at safety will help us out now. The cover 2 defense demands that both safeties and LB's be quick to react because the middle of the field is more open down the middle. You see the teams that have good cover 2 defenses, like the bears, they have a lot of speed at LB & safety.

Posted by: JT | Jul 22, 2008 7:59:44 AM

Middle rush will be stronger w/ Lewis and w/o Jenkins. No one in the league gets a better jump on the snap at DT besides Jenks with the exception of Tommie Harris. I would have to say that Lewis is a downgrade from Jenkins. I am still skeptical about Brayton and Johnson and McClover.

Posted by: Hackney | Jul 22, 2008 10:15:55 AM