« Gamble: That cast was frustrating | Main | Peppers talks ... »

July 31, 2008

Robinson injures knee in practice

Panthers kick returner and backup receiver Ryne Robinson injured his left knee in practice Thursday and was carted off field.  He went up high to make a catch while being double covered by safety Nate Salley and cornerback Richard Marshall. After he landed, he was holding his left knee. He was helped off the field and trainer Ryan Vermillion tested Robinson’s knee for stability. Robinson got up and walked gingerly, then was carried to a tent where he sat for about 15 minutes with his leg extended before being carted off.

With Robinson out, rookie running back Jonathan Stewart got his first opportunity to return kicks during practice.

Also, the Panthers added to their defensive tackle depth by signing Michael Marquardt, a rookie from

Arizona

State

. To make room on the roster,

Carolina

cut center Pat Ross.

CHARLES CHANDLER

Posted by Observer Sports on July 31, 2008 at 04:43 PM | Permalink

Comments

Nooooooooooooooo! Salley again!?! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 31, 2008 4:50:41 PM

Before I even read the story, I had a feeling that Nate Salley would in some way be involved in the play

Posted by: matt | Jul 31, 2008 4:53:49 PM

MESSAGE TO NATE SALLEY--- At least Morgan (who also got injured all the time too) learned by his fourth season that he needs to ease off a bit in training camp! His reasoning was injury to himself, but I still think that YOU (Salley) should get a clue and follow that wisdom!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 31, 2008 4:54:41 PM

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 31, 2008 4:54:42 PM

I get it, the guy likes to hit and hit hard, but can he save it for his opponents or what!?! I mean give me a break already (not literally Salley so you can calm down now)!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 31, 2008 4:56:38 PM

Read the story Salley didnt get hurt. It was Robinson

Posted by: MR. Panther | Jul 31, 2008 4:59:26 PM

MR. Panther, maybe if you weren't so full of yourself you would actually have a clue yourself. We are aware of that. Other people can read too you know.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 31, 2008 5:12:04 PM

Hey Mr. P, get with the program. They are refurring to Nate Salley always injuring other players in practice because he doesn't know how to tone it back in practice.

Posted by: Grim Reaper | Jul 31, 2008 5:14:52 PM

I'm no Doctor and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express either but anytime someone grabs their knee after going down is NEVER a good sign. Robinson running off the field doesn't say much and shouldn't be an indicator to how serious of an injury it could be....I mean T.O. ran off the field with a broken leg when he got hurt...

Posted by: Michael Bolton | Jul 31, 2008 5:22:09 PM

He does go hard in practice..but wouldn't you too if you had something to prove like he does. He never got a chance to try and prove himself before his injury so he is making up for it now. I'm not saying that it is an excuse to hurt your own players just offering a look from his perspective.

Posted by: JV | Jul 31, 2008 5:24:13 PM

I was actually at the practice today and saw this play. It looked more like all three players went up for the ball and there was some contact causing Robinson to land awkwardly. It did not appear from my vantage point that the injury was caused by Salley being overzealous. Robinson did make the (outstanding) catch, by the way, injury and all.

Posted by: Jon | Jul 31, 2008 5:41:59 PM

Come on what we going to do

Posted by: brian | Jul 31, 2008 5:54:03 PM

its time for steve go panthers

Posted by: manHORE | Jul 31, 2008 5:56:13 PM

Ruh roh. That doesn't sound good...here's to having a backup plan. Sounds like Stewart will be returning kicks after all. I believe Godfrey was a good punt returner in school too. Hate to have two starters playing full time on special team but these guys do get paid to play football. We got off lucky w/ Ian Scott but it doesn't sound like Robinson will be so lucky. I really hate it for the kid...he was improving towards the end of last season too.

Posted by: JT | Jul 31, 2008 6:09:26 PM

I was at practice today and Nate Salley fell into Ryne Robinson's knee. He lost his footing right where Robinson was coming down with the pass. It was not intentional...

Posted by: fanuva | Jul 31, 2008 7:27:34 PM

Syrpus, Salley like Robinson are both playing for jobs there are no guarantees, he is not out to hurt anyone I am glad he is showing some gump.

Posted by: jeff | Jul 31, 2008 8:31:42 PM

Now is the time to see what the Panthers are made of. I have said this numerous times but, injuries happen to every team and it's how teams respond from a coaching standpoint and what type of depth is built into the roster. I think Fox is a great coach, but one area that has lacked during his tenure is stability when injuries happen to key players. Other teams are able to move on when the injury bug bites, i.e. Colts and Chargers last year, but the Panthers seem to have a rough time adjusting when it comes their way. No team goes injury-free through the season so you have to be prepared, and now is the time to start seeing just how well prepared they are with more and more bodies filling up the sideline.

Posted by: mountaineerdynAsty | Jul 31, 2008 9:26:35 PM

As sick as it sounds...you hope he isn't hurt too bad, but in the end it might give Jason Carter that chance I believe everyone would like to see given to the fella.

Posted by: g5jamz | Jul 31, 2008 11:04:04 PM

Posted by: g5jamz | Jul 31, 2008 11:04:26 PM

jeff, robinson's not really playing for a job in training camp, he'd have made the team pretty easily as the 5th receiver and a KR. But if this knee injury is serious, he'll already have a spot reserved...on IR. hope that's not the case, poor kid.

Posted by: DB | Jul 31, 2008 11:43:52 PM

Thanks for that info Jon. In that case I'd like to retract my earlier statements, for the most part.

For the record, if everyone else is going 3/4 speed and practice and you're giving it everything you've got just to keep up or make a play, what does that really prove? And then on top of it you're causing injuries that can be potentially season ending if not career ending (this is the NFL after all) and then I'm supposed to be understanding that he's just trying to make the roster? This is a team sport after all, not a Nate Salley sport.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 1, 2008 2:24:32 AM

I do want to make one thing clear, I am a fan of his tenacity. I just wish he would save it for game day.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 1, 2008 2:26:26 AM

JT, Salley wasn't a kick returner in college or high school.
Mountie, our injury problems were worse than the Colts or Chargers. Without going into a long diatribe, how do you think those teams would have "responded" with David Carr and Vinnie Testaverde at QB for 10 games? A good starting QB isn't replaceable for 13 games of a 16-game season at a cost-effective price, so it's not a "roster construction" issue either.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 4, 2008 11:38:35 AM

Hmmm I've read the article and it doesn't really say that Salley just creamed the guy and he got up limping. Looks like they all went up and robinson just came down wrong?

Posted by: justhough | Aug 7, 2008 6:23:56 PM