« Stewart's new tutor: Natrone Means | Main | How's Jake, D'Lo, Pep, etc.? »

July 27, 2008

Sunday afternoon highlights

A few highlights from Sunday's training camp practice at Wofford:

-- When the Panthers switched from their base starting defense to the nickel scheme in passing situations, here's what happened:

BASE

LDE -- Tyler Brayton; LDT -- Maake Kemoeatu; RDT -- Damione Lewis; RDE -- Julius Peppers

SLB -- Na'il Diggs; MLB -- Jon Beason; WLB -- Thomas Davis

LCB -- Chris Gamble; SS -- Chris Harris; FS -- Charles Godfrey; RCB -- Ken Lucas

NICKEL

LDE -- Stanley McGlover; LDT -- Brayton; RDT -- Lewis; RDE -- Peppers

LBs -- Beason; Davis

LCB -- Gamble; SS -- Harris; FS -- Godfrey; RCB -- Lucas; Nickel -- Richard Marshall.

So, what happened was Marshall and McGlover came in, Kemoeatu and Diggs went out, and Brayton moved inside from an outside position.

------

-- Linebacker Adam Seward flattened DeAngelo Williams before he could get into a pass route during a situational drill.

-- Williams and fellow running back Jonathan Stewart had several eye-catching runs that drew oohs, aahs and cheers from fans in attendance. Williams sparkled when he took a pitch to the right, quickly cut back inside and ran across the grain to the left.

-- Dazzling catches by Steve Smith aren't uncommon, but you never get tired of seeing them. He dove and batted a Jake Delhomme pass with one hand and then caught it with both hands as he was falling to the ground.

-- In one-on-one blocking drills, defensive end Julius Peppers blew past offensive tackle Frank Omiyale with a super-fast spin move. It was no contest, but, to be fair to Omiyale, it's unlikely any OT in the NFL could have survived that one.

-- Peppers has always looked like a thoroughbred athlete, but he seems even bigger and stronger this year. He is said to have worked out extensively during the offseason with a trainer in Arizona.

-- Second-year receiver Ryne Robinson put a move on cornerback Ricardo Colclough that NFLers dream about. Robinson caught a short pass near the sideline, then came to a quick stop like he was putting his foot down hard on a brake. Colclough bit on the move and Robinson accelerated past him.

-- So far, it looks like Robinson and Dwayne Jarrett are the second tier of receivers. The first, of course, includes Smith, Muhsin Muhammad and D.J. Hackett.

-- The only injuries so far appear to be minor. Fullback Nick Goings has a sprained ankle and wide receiver Josh Davis hurt his calf, according to coach John Fox.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on July 27, 2008 at 06:17 PM | Permalink

Comments

Say it with me now - McClover...McClover...McClover...

In all seriousness, good update - keep them coming!

Posted by: KCPanther | Jul 27, 2008 6:27:34 PM

Thanks for the good work guys! Keep he updates coming in.

Posted by: Will Parker | Jul 27, 2008 6:37:05 PM

At least Charles and these guys are updating. Tom Sorenson is down there, what's he actually doing? Its obviously not writing storys.... I'd like a paid vacation to training camp too

Posted by: Big Fan | Jul 27, 2008 6:46:23 PM

It's been nearly 20 hours since I've had a fix. Man I tell you I'm freaking out here. I'm shaking all over, got the chills and can't eat or sleep. I think I'm breaking out in a rash and I'm hallucinating about Tampa. I could jump in the old Nissan and drive to Spartanburg from Myrtle Beach, sleep on the ground and beg for food outside Wofford, but like man it would cost me over $200 just for gas. Oh the agony. I should have retired in the Greenville area. What a mess I've made of my life.

Give us down trodden aging beach combers a Panther hand out will you guys. Keep those updates and observations coming in. You're our only hope we have for something to hang onto.

Posted by: Trainwasher | Jul 27, 2008 7:05:12 PM

Posted by: Trainwasher | Jul 27, 2008 7:27:19 PM

Charles, thanks for the input. Most of us appreciate the work you guys do for us. Keep us the good work.

Trainwasher, LOL. I feel your pain, I really do.

GO CATS! and JAKE!

Posted by: iamhubby | Jul 27, 2008 7:28:25 PM

I'm going to the camp tommorrow for the first time and I'm so pumped! Can someone please tell me when and where is the best time to get some autographs? Thanks!

Posted by: Noah | Jul 27, 2008 7:38:36 PM

I agree with the above, great work guys.

Posted by: matt | Jul 27, 2008 7:40:56 PM

You guys are doing great work. I was going to put your stuff on my blog but instead I am just going to put up a link for Panther fans to read your stuff themselves. Thank you for those of us out of work who can't afford the gas but want to support and follow this team this season and keep up the enthusiasm for the 2008 season.

Posted by: Orange Chuck | Jul 27, 2008 8:03:20 PM

Very cool idea with the nickel defensive shift. Looks like they're really serious about pressuring the passer and they're coming up with innovative ways to do it. With McClover, Brayton, Lewis, and Peppers you have 4 guys who can rush the passer well. Maybe they stick with it, maybe they don't, but I'm glad to see Foxy getting creative. I think the pressure on everyone to succeed this year is really helping with the motivation factor.

Posted by: Christian | Jul 27, 2008 8:17:36 PM

Noah:

I've been to all three sessions this weekend. Players have been signing both before and after practice. Enter the gate, go down the hill to the fence and to the right. That is the players entrance and exit onto the field. Just get a spot as far to the right as you can. Good luck.

On a side note Williams is looking great so far. Peppers does look bigger and more defined than he did last year. And just as Charles said that spin move was something to see. Can't wait to see how everyone looks once the tackling starts.

Posted by: J Thomas | Jul 27, 2008 9:02:30 PM

thanks Thomas! I'm going to both practices, make a day out of it! Can't wait

Posted by: Noah | Jul 27, 2008 9:12:56 PM

Awesome!! Diggs was moved to SLB and Davis (I was about to say Witherspoon) was moved to WLB! That kicks a##!!! It always bothered me that Diggs was being played on the weakside and Davis on the strong at a time when was just Diggs joining the team and Davis was trying to find his niche. Not only can Davis spread his wings and do his thing more freely in open space, but Diggs can put that lager frame of his to better use as well and apply more pressure to opposing backfields. Wooooo-hooooo!!! Can't wait to see this new and improved team take the field!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 28, 2008 1:08:50 AM

I'm VERY interested for some details on Jake's progress...

Posted by: Rugger62 | Jul 28, 2008 6:10:40 AM

How much time is Jason Carter being given. He was the highlight of mini-camp; does it appear the staff is given him a chance to compete?

Posted by: jbw | Jul 28, 2008 11:10:48 AM

syrpis, you really think diggs is the answer.hes slow.gates and shockey are going to eat him up . the panthers better get one of these fast young l.bs ready or were in for big trouble against elite tight ends.diggs is a backup on most teams.i do agree on moving davis. i think he will shine.

Posted by: ray | Jul 29, 2008 11:40:42 AM