« Ian Scott update | Main | Source: Scott's injury not serious »

July 30, 2008

Wednesday afternoon update

The Panthers practiced Wednesday afternoon in front of friends and family at Wofford's soccer field:

-- Rhys Lloyd, who is trying to make the team as the kicker on kickoffs, put his leg on display during a practice-ending drill. He didn't disappoint, kicking three straight bombs that easily sailed through the end zone (his first kick was a knuckler that landed at the 10). Kickoffs were a Panthers' weakness last season when John Kasay was seldom able to kick it into the end zone for a touchback.

-- Seven players didn't participate because of injuries Wednesday afternoon, including offensive tackle Charles Spencer (knee), running back LaBrandon Toefield (shoulder), linebacker Adam Seward (strained muscle in his side), Damione Lewis (leg), Darwin Walker (head) and Maake Kemoeatu (shoulder). There was no update on the condition of defensive tackle Ian Scott, who hurt his left knee Wednesday morning. Receiver D.J. Hackett and running back Jonathan Stewart also sat out.

--  When these players don't practice, they're not sitting idly by. They excercise and do agility drills to work up a sweat. And they're not far enough away to avoid barbs from their healthier teammates. As they pedaled on their stationary bikes, linebacker Jon Beason came over and playfully urged them on. But when Beason turned to walk away, he almost tripped on a Gatorade cooler. "Pay attention now!" Lewis shouted.

-- Just one practice on Thursday, at 3:10 p.m. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on July 30, 2008 at 05:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

I understand that Lloyd is the kick off specialist and has little accuracy for field goals, but have the Panthers had him practicing kicking field goals in camp, if so, what is the longest one he has made?

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 5:20:38 PM

Nope, Matt, Kasay's the guy on field goals.

Posted by: David Scott | Jul 30, 2008 5:28:15 PM

David, I know Kasay's our man on field goals, but think they would ever practice him there? I mean, Kasay still has a strong leg but I am guessing his max has declined a little and in a late game situation, if Lyold could bang a 60 yarder at say 25% success rate, that would be nice to know as a coach.

Posted by: Mason | Jul 30, 2008 5:39:15 PM

Matt, that's an inaccurate assessment. He had a very good year in the last season of NFL Europe and holds the record over there with a 56-yarder.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 30, 2008 6:01:38 PM

Ahh the fine line of "meaningful" practices and pushing the envelope too hard. I hope the injury bug is cornered and maybe these sitouts are more precautionary than necessary. Ian Scott's doesn't sound too good though. As long as we don't see a name like Smith, Delhomme, Peppers, Beason, or even Stewart in the following reports my sweat pumps will stay idle.

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Jul 30, 2008 6:05:15 PM

Where are the critics and their abnoxious comments now? Up to date and exclusive info. But are any of you nay-sayers gonna complement these guys for it...?

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 30, 2008 6:08:42 PM

Thanks for the updates, guys! Keep them rolling! Nice to know what's going on with the team. :)

Posted by: Mav | Jul 30, 2008 6:22:27 PM

David- can we get an update on the fight between Otah and Brayton??

Posted by: Jimmy | Jul 30, 2008 6:30:13 PM

Procton, seriously. Go away. He was 2-7 last year for the Frankfurt galaxy with FG's 40-49. So he is inaccurate, just because he made one long field goal last year does not make him accurate. You are an inaccurate fool. Just because you believe it doesnt make it true. Go outside, get away from your computer. HELP US HELP YOU!

Posted by: Go away | Jul 30, 2008 6:32:10 PM

David - Thanks for the updates as well. I am afraid you are incorrect about Rhys Lloyd not ever taking field goal kicks. The first morning practice had both him and Kasay taking kicks. His farthest was from about 40. Nailed them both. Plus, didn't Jason Baker used to take kick offs for the Panthers in 2006?

Posted by: Dave | Jul 30, 2008 6:37:03 PM

David - doing great work, you'll have to ignore the idiots on this board (sorry Procton - again he's starting the "you are incorrect). Other Dave - just because Rhys Lloyd may be kicking a few field goals in practice Kasay obviously has the job. Rhys is not competition for Kasay for the normal field goals, and it's going to be a hard decision for Fox to keep him on the 53 man roster. Although I'm going to have to say that even if he can start the opponents on the 20 almost half the time - he's most likely worth a roster spot (in my opinion).

Posted by: jb | Jul 30, 2008 7:40:54 PM

Great job with the updates guys, its nice to be able to know whats going on with my team since I cant be there in person. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: PanthersPride74 | Jul 30, 2008 7:50:56 PM

I dont know where the confusion set in. Of course Kasay is the man for field goals and of course Lloyd is the man for kickoffs, no one has ever disputed that, but Kasay is aging quick and may only have one more really good year left in him, so at some point ths organization is going to have to find a replacement. I figured since we already have Lloyd on the team, they may be hoping he can become the successor to Kasay. I thought maybe the team had Lloyd working on field goals in the offseason and in training camp.

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 7:58:13 PM

who on here ever suggested that Kasay was in danger of losing his job or that he was even competing for the job, on the very first post I asked if the Panthers were letting him practice his field goals. I have a hard time believing that Lloyd is only working on his kickoffs, but according to David Scott, that may just be the case

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 8:02:05 PM

I assume he is a capable FG kicker or he wouldn't have gotten this far....but i would like to see him kick FG's as well. I hope there is someone in camp that can push Ryan Robison as our punt Returner because he was terrible! at it...last year. and I don't care about him having 3 good returns vs teams 2nd string unit...the final few weeks....when it counted he was horrific!

Posted by: Cheven | Jul 30, 2008 8:18:36 PM

I was at practice today and Lloyd was kicking FG's some. But that could be just to warm up. Mostly short ones from what I saw but he hit them. Kasay was spot on as usual. I like the drills they ran today. They worked on alot of 3rd down and endzone situations and looked good doing so.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 30, 2008 9:11:55 PM

I, for one, am just glad that Pat doesn't peddle his trash on this blog anymore. Thanks guys. You do a great job.

Posted by: Bobidinho | Jul 30, 2008 9:20:27 PM

Jeff, thanks, thats the sort of info I was looking for regarding Lloyd

Posted by: matt | Jul 30, 2008 9:35:02 PM

wow....living overseas for the last two years pretty much forced me to use this site for all panther updates, and all i can do is laugh at you guys. honestly i love it.....very intertaining!! not only do i get to see what's up in the carolinas, i get a bit of comedy as well. who cares if someone is mistaken every now and then....you don't have to belittle them. take care.

Posted by: phil | Jul 30, 2008 10:23:54 PM

With the leg of Lloyd why arent thy trying him out or at least (since Danny Crossman believes he knows how to coach/train special teamers) not attempting to let Lloyd some work in at punter?

I know the team has baker and his nice new contract but if the guy can kick the ball like has been reported why not develope him at the Punter position? It couldnt hurt,and would be better than him just standing around watching most of the time as has been reported........

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Jul 31, 2008 2:39:24 AM

and "Go Away" , we dont call Mitchell Procton , "Procton" , around these parts he is known as the "PROCTOLOGIST"..........

Just ask around because he seems to love it and everyone else agrees.

None-the-less, there is nothing anyone can do to drive away the "Proctologist" since he is restricted to his wheelchair and his caretaker/Mother has to clean out the Poop-Bag,this is his life and the most living,as well as human interaction he gets.

Iv'e on many ocassions talked to our fellow "Proctologist" and tried to get him to join the Special Olympics or wheelchai games,even go out and meet a female with the same model of Power scooter that he has,but Alas, he is content Popping in his chair and trying to make himself look as if he is the answer with his google tool bar for stats and Panthers history at his side....

There is nothing anyone can do about the "Proctologist", but understand and pity this poor Fool and pray he can one day accept true human comfort/companionship,instead of a keyboard & monitor.......

Do you Smellllllll what the "Proc" is cooking??????

I know his caretaker/Mother does........

this has been a public service announcment from G.o.S.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Jul 31, 2008 4:42:32 AM

I do think its hilarious someone pulled a procton and used STATS to prove Procton wrong and he's completely shut up...no response at all.

He's gone into "wait until the next blog to come out to make my sissy tough comments" mode.

Hey girl Procton, don't let the FACTS about Lloyd get in the way of your pathetic 'he made a 56 yarder once' argument.

Posted by: Bo | Jul 31, 2008 7:26:09 AM

No, I went into I wasn't reading it mode, douchebag. And yes, Lloyd is an accurate FG kicker. Kicked up at 80% in his college career. And yes, he does have punting experience. He's not an FG option other than an end of half/game 60+-yarder this year, but he could well take over next year if Kasay's ready to hang 'em up.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 31, 2008 8:38:33 AM

I rescind my old name, because he actually makes me feel better about myself. You should stay "Proctologist", I feel smart. 80% is not good enough for me, is it good enough for you? I am a soccer player and I could hit 90% of FG's from 39 and in. Woopdeefreakingdooooo

Posted by: Ok Stay | Jul 31, 2008 5:14:50 PM

Out of a very young, raw kicker with a GREAT leg who hasn't had fantastic coaching and has been playing the game for a very short time, absolutely. And it's not 80% from 39 and in. It's 80% from, well, 56 and in, and his coaches sent him in to try those kicks because he had the capacity to make them. Further, while you may not know this, the weather in Europe is, well AWFUL for kicking. It's cold and there are stiff, unpredictable breezes. He's got a chance to be a player. I'll take a kicker who can hit the close ones and has a CHANCE at huge ones rather than a guy who never misses but can't reach from longer than 44. Note that I haven't advocated he should be our kicker this year (or ANY year until Kasay is ready to retire or starts to slip.) However, his capacity to get TBs on many of his KOs is an invaluable skill to this team.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 4, 2008 10:32:58 AM