« Early reports on Moore positive | Main | Good news: Moore tests negative »

August 28, 2008

Delhomme upset about hit on Moore

PITTSBURGH -- Almost like a big brother taking up for his sibling, Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme came to the defense of backup Matt Moore after Thursday night's exhibition against the Steelers.

Delhomme took issue with the hit Pittsburgh safety Anthony Smith put on Moore late in the third period. Moore's left leg buckled underneath him and he had to be taken to the locker room for an examination.

Though the initial diagnosis was a deep shin bruise, according to Moore, the Panthers made it clear they won't know the extend of the injury for certain until after more tests are done Friday.

"... When you see it, the guy came untouched," Delhomme of Smith. "I don't know if he tripped to go below the waist, but it sort of looked like it. We'll have to see on film.

"You never want to see something like that. Hopefully everything's ok. ... (Moore is) a young kid who's worked hard, but that's the sad part of the game we play. Hopefully, everything will be alright."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

Who was Delhomme defending, Smith or Moore!? Anyway, I hate to say it, but that was a clean hit by NFL standards. Absolutely excessive and completely unnecessary, but perfectly legal. For those who disagree, you should take a look at some of those hits Chris Sims took a couple of years ago from Panther defenders. Then we'll talk.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 12:19:31 AM

Will Basenez survive the Turk?

Will the QB waiver wire come into play?

Will this team carry 3 QBs and 2 kickers? Interesting night for the Panthers, because we saw a major dropoff from the overall proficiency of last week, and suddenly there seems to be a wealth of candidates available who may be asked to bring their playbooks with them.

Posted by: BigMikey | Aug 29, 2008 12:32:40 AM

On a different note: David Scott, I love your contributions to the Observrr but what were you smoking when you put up your list of who makes the final cut??

1. Nick Goings and Labrandon Tofield both making it? I like a big bruising back, but Tofield's sudden diagnosis of fumblitis definately puts him on the bubble. Goings lack of production in the running game puts him on it as well. To me it would be a choice of two lesser evils.

On that note, I was dissapointed to see that Birmingham was not given a chance on returns. His success there would have knocked both of those other two out of contention.

2. Samie Parker makes it and Travis Taylor is on the bubble? Though I do agree that Taylor's "I don't do that" attitude toward special teams is disgusting, he can at least contribute on offense (something definately needed early on). Parker has yet to prove anything.

3. Frank Omiyale? Ok, so he has done a decent (not good, mind you) job in the preseason games, but numerous defenders made him look like an artichoke in practice. How does he warrant a definate roster spot, especially when he's up against all these other linemen?

4. Nate Salley?!? Are you serious!?! Now I know you definately need to put that pipe down. I'm not even going to give this one any energy other than to ask you what Salley's agent paid you to print that!

BTW: Forgetting this personal attack on you (meant in good fun) for a second...
Thanks for the info about how the two game suspension saves another roster spot temporarily. That does change things drastically.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 12:33:06 AM

Nate Salley played very well tonight. I think it's tough to argue he's not a better player than Teal when both are at their peak.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 29, 2008 1:04:13 AM

What I saw in watching the Carolina Panthers game last night was Matt Moore throwing into the Defensive coveridge all night long.
Although Duwayne Jarrett needed the work, there were better targets.
I saw Brett Basenez, quicker, better throws away from the coveridge and a Touch town pass and NO INTERCEPTIONS!

If I were on the Coching staff my vote would go to keep Basenez! I would have to send Moore elsewhere.

In my thinking from what I saw, it's gotta be Basenez who gives the Panthers the best chance to WIN if, God forebid, anything should happen to Jake this season.

and maybe, Davidson wanted Moore to throw all night long to Jarrett, No matter the consequences, Its only Pre-season and Jarrett has got to be ready for next week...

Posted by: MikePhelan | Aug 29, 2008 1:57:08 AM

Unless I missed something Syrpis, the article is about who will make the cut to 75 players. I would still like to see Goings on this team because he's extremely dependable, his production wasn't THAT bad, and he brings a great attitude every play.

Posted by: James | Aug 29, 2008 2:02:35 AM

Yep, you definately missed something James. No worries though. Just to clarify, I was reffering to this article:

And I agree, Goings does have the best attitude ANYONE could ask from a football player, but there is a great difference from "not bad" and good. I would like to see Fox keep his job and nothing short of a good Super Bowl run will ensure he does. I respect Goings, but if Birmingham is a better playmaker, why not give the guy a shot? Unfortunately for him, the question still remains if he can block and produce on special teams.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 5:41:10 AM

come on Jake, there is nothing to be upset about there except the poor blocking, stop whining.

Posted by: matt | Aug 29, 2008 7:36:13 AM

BigMikey

Youre an idiot, 2nd string isnt as good as 1st string.

Thats why its called "2nd" string.

That in mind our 1st string did not play a down. So you cant compare last nights game to last weeks game. Go Panthers!

Posted by: pnthrfan916 | Aug 29, 2008 7:58:26 AM

what a difference a year makes. Last year at this time a lot of comments were supporting David Carr to start ahead of Jake. Now everyone is convinced (right fully so) that Jake is our best if not only chance to lead us to the playoffs.

Posted by: Sheldon | Aug 29, 2008 8:16:26 AM

Unfortunately, many in our fanbase will always view the backup to Jake as our best option. It was like that with Weinke, the Carr, and now Moore. But maybe now that Jake went down last year, people will actually appreciate the man.

Posted by: matt | Aug 29, 2008 8:51:51 AM

It might be worth noting that David Carr has been looking very good this preseason. Strikes me that he might still be a good BACKUP QB if he doesn't have to be the starter before 30% of the season has even passed.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 29, 2008 9:07:59 AM

Yeah Carr may have looked decent against 2nd and 3rd string defenses but against 1st string he still sucks. Most sacked of any other QB in the league during the time he has been in the league so far......glad we got rid of him.

Posted by: pnthrfan916 | Aug 29, 2008 9:18:21 AM

Thats sad that a former 1 overall pick is relegated to a possible backup position.

Posted by: matt | Aug 29, 2008 9:24:10 AM

Did the steelers defensive 1st string play the entire 1st half?

Posted by: dsingl01 | Aug 29, 2008 9:25:55 AM

To Mike Phelan;

You don't send Moore Elsewhere. Basenez is a great QB. When Basenez came in, consider him a number 2 QB vs. the steelers 3rd and 4th stringers. He is going to look good in that situation. Matt Moore, didn't look that good at all, but I still believe he has more potential than Basenez. I would like to see them keep three QB's on the roster considering what happened last year

Posted by: Gscott | Aug 29, 2008 9:38:47 AM

Why would you consider Basanez a backup? He was the #3, playing with #3s, against #3s. And Moore's inaccuracy doesn't chance no matter who he's playing against. And Basanez's TD pass is still the best pass of the preseason regardless of who HE was playing against. Moore might be a good West Coast QB, but we better abandon hope of a downfield passing game.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 29, 2008 10:09:31 AM

I like Moore, really do, but he looked just plain dreadful last night.

Posted by: Bailey | Aug 29, 2008 10:21:36 AM

Is it just me, or has Decori Birmingham secured a roster spot as the 3rd RB?

Posted by: matt | Aug 29, 2008 10:26:51 AM

It was a bad hit, and Matt was blessed to even think about walking off the field. His performance was a bit questionable, not because of the players around him but the decisions he made, some pretty risky throws but, he he is developing and I hope we see him in a Panther uniform for a very long time.

Posted by: David | Aug 29, 2008 11:01:35 AM

Oh... and I thought it was a bit enlightning to see Jake trying to put his helmet on...that was a bad mad QB...On the surface it appears the 2 QB's are connecting...Gresie and Strock...Staubauch and White...gotta have it.

Posted by: David | Aug 29, 2008 11:04:45 AM

SYRP ...

Goings will make the roster as the backup FB to Hoover ... Hoover tends to get knicked up ... unless the Panthers plan to move Rosario to FB if Hoover goes down, which could happen in a worst-case scenario ....

Posted by: Shane | Aug 29, 2008 11:25:09 AM

I just don't see anything is that blog that makes it sound like Jake was upset..It almost sounded as if he were defending the hit. Bad title.

Posted by: JV | Aug 29, 2008 12:42:39 PM

This is why pre season is good for the NFL!! Injuries and what ifs teh fans start chirping away... People getting a shot to compete and try to overthrow the established veteran is a pluss!

ie: Goings needs to go. He does very little I can see and is getting older with no upside. I would take potential over him anyday in the hopes the lights come on. It's called recruiting and building with youth, get them and develop them...

Posted by: localnc | Aug 29, 2008 1:05:45 PM

"Hoover tends to get nicked up..." WHAT? He's missed three games in EIGHT YEARS.

And local, if Goings doesn't do anything you can see, you're not looking. He performs on offense as an RB and FB, can return and block on KR teams, and is one of our better kick coverage guys. I'm sure you could do a better job "recruiting," but some professional football coaches who know a hell of a lot more than you would love a team of guys who can do everything like Nick Goings.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 29, 2008 1:19:38 PM