« Smith makes appearance, greeted by fans | Main | Smith: "I'm completely wrong" »

August 04, 2008

Lucas: I've forgiven him

Ken Lucas just spoke to the media and said he has forgiven Steve Smith for breaking his nose in last Friday's fight on the sidelines of the Panthers' practice.

Lucas said he'll need surgery, but he declined to give specifics.

A few minutes before Lucas was interviewed by reporters, Smith spoke and apologized, saying there were not two sides to the story. He said the only side was that he was in the wrong.

Smith said he would not let the incident define his life. He apologized to his teammates, the organization and the public. He declined to take questions from the media.

We'll have more on this soon.

-- Charles Chandler and David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on August 4, 2008 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

if these two have had such differences over the past 4 years, why hasn't it been mentioned until now??

Posted by: Mike | Aug 4, 2008 12:32:05 PM

at least lucas is being a real man about the situation and not letting pride get in the way, this is a classy move on his part to forgive steve, hopefully people will forgive and forget and this incident will help bring our team together

Posted by: shawn1925 | Aug 4, 2008 12:35:12 PM

Let's hope this is it. I know I'm tired of hearing about it.

Posted by: Phil | Aug 4, 2008 12:35:42 PM

Wow, the statement "there is only one side to this story" actually sounds like Smith is sincere in realizing the consequences of his actions (unlike some of you jokers that post comments on this site).

Ken Lucas requires surgery?? Meanwhile, Richard Marshall is getting the opportunity to knock him out of the starting lineup! Wow! What a guy. I honesly can't say that I've got half the integrity Ken Lucas has.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 4, 2008 12:47:37 PM

I think somebody called him Steve "Sucker Punch" Smith. I hope he pays for Lucas' surgery. The idiot jock.

Posted by: briarhopper | Aug 4, 2008 12:51:28 PM

Mike, it has. They've been jawing since the first day they stepped on a practice field together.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 4, 2008 12:57:34 PM

Steve Smith. It is time to trade this disruptive criminal while there may be some value remaining!!! Get this piece of garbage out of here! The short-term is not worth the long term!!!

Posted by: RealityCheck | Aug 4, 2008 12:58:38 PM

I hope Smith goes across the middle on his first game back and gets "JACKED UP". I called Morgan Stanley this mornig and asked if thier "intern" will be back this off-season. They refused to comment.

This will not be the last time Steve Smith does something stupid. If I was his wife I would actually be afraid.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 4, 2008 1:01:47 PM

OK, so they had issues for years running... Steve made a mistake, he's manned up to it and hopefully that's the end. To wish him to be 'jacked up' puts you in the same category as Smith, out of control. He is a great player, had some anger problems (you never had any?) and the Panthers have done the right thing by suspending him. He'll lose income, Lucas may sue, regardless I'm sure he'll pay for his lost income / surgery. Lets move on to the Playoffs!

Posted by: Dean | Aug 4, 2008 1:17:36 PM

Jay,

You're an idiot. Only a fool would wish harm on other people.

Regards,

Jack

Posted by: Jack | Aug 4, 2008 1:18:30 PM

Getting "Jacked Up" on the field as Jay put it and blindsiding someone off the field are two diferent things.

Posted by: Marcus | Aug 4, 2008 1:59:28 PM

I forgive him alright.........until he turns his fu#@*ing back.

Posted by: Ken Lucas | Aug 4, 2008 3:32:09 PM

If Lucas can forgive Smith, so should everyone else. Of course in all likelihood Lucas is just saying that he's forgiven him to keep the team together, but if some jerk punched me in the face I don't think I could even pretend to forgive him. So enough of this Smitty hate, he is a good man (as is Lucas) and he will take the necessary steps to make this right.

Posted by: DB | Aug 4, 2008 4:54:23 PM

"Lucas said he shook Smith's hand Monday and that they have begun talking to settle the differences they've had over the past four years."

A four year history of this trash talking in practice and no one, coaches and/or players thought to defuse the situation. No wonder there was a fight. Knew there had to be more information that the incompetent Charles Chandler didn't research or refused to report.

Posted by: J Thomas | Aug 4, 2008 11:28:45 PM