« UPDATED 9.1.08 DEPTH CHART | Main | Breaking news: Panthers sign Jones to return kicks »

August 31, 2008

Panthers sign 5 to practice squad; Texans claim McClover

Schwartz200pforblog The Panthers have signed five of the players they cut Saturday to their practice squad, including draft picks Nick Hayden and Geoff Schwartz.

Others added to the practice squad were running back DeCori Birmingham, wide receiver William Buchanon, and defensive back Joe Fields.

Carolina had the option of adding quarterback Brett Basanez, but opted not to do so.

The Panthers can add three more to their practice squad, and also are expected to add a kick returner to their active, 53-man roster.

Hayden, a defensive tackle, and Schwartz, an offensive tackle, were sixth- and seventh-round picks, respectively.

Only one player cut by the Panthers was claimed via waivers by another team. Defensive end Stanley McClover, cut in favor of rookie Hilee Taylor, was claimed by the Houston Texans.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 31, 2008 at 04:20 PM | Permalink

Comments

TIME TO SIGN EDDIE DRUMMOND AS KR/WR.

Posted by: dustin | Aug 31, 2008 5:13:45 PM

Well now...McClover in Texas? With Mario Williams? Hmmm...may be something to watch, even though it won't impact Carolina. Good luck, Stanley!

Posted by: Scott | Aug 31, 2008 5:19:35 PM

Posted by: kelli | Aug 31, 2008 5:28:23 PM

i cant beleive we have McCown, when moore is healthy again i hope we cut McCown

Posted by: Mike | Aug 31, 2008 5:33:45 PM

"Why didn't we sign Basanez to the practice squad?? McCown may not work out and who the heck knows about Moore's injury!"

Gee, I think maybe the team doctors know all they need to know about Moore's injury. I am just speculating though

Posted by: Me | Aug 31, 2008 6:06:34 PM

I thought we'd at least keep Basanez on the practice squad...guess Fox and Hurney don't like him as much as we thought. No one else has picked him up though, so the option of putting him on the practice squad is there in case something unforeseen happens.

Posted by: DB | Aug 31, 2008 6:28:44 PM

First Charles, unless something has changed, Joe Fields is actually a safety though as an Orange fan and guy ready to purchase a #38 Fields Panther jersey, I will take anything that gets him on the roster.
Second, I hate to see Holt and McClover go but part of this time of the year is making calls not everyone will agree with. I am still waiting to see who the other three are they add and would not be shocked if Brett or Terrence Holt added if they clear waivers though I think it will probably be three guys cut from other rosters.

Posted by: Orange Chuck | Aug 31, 2008 6:34:47 PM

I'm confused. Unless something has changed, a safety is a defensive back (DB).

Posted by: dogear | Aug 31, 2008 6:52:03 PM

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In American football and Canadian football, defensive backs are the players on the defensive team who take positions somewhat back from the line of scrimmage; they are distinguished from the defensive line players, who take positions directly behind the line of scrimmage.

The defensive backs, in turn, generally are classified into several different specialized positions:

* Safety
* Cornerback, which include
o nickel back, the fifth defensive back in some sets
o dime back, the sixth defensive back in some sets
o The seventh defensive back, in the exceedingly rare 'dollar' set
+ known as a dollar back or a quarter back (not to be confused with the offensive player who throws the ball)

The group of defensive backs is known collectively as the secondary.

Posted by: Roger | Aug 31, 2008 7:36:52 PM

Orange Chuck-
According to the rules of the Practice Squad, a veteran such as Holt is not eligible to be put on a team's PS. I don't recall all the rules, but they are based on a player's time spent on an active roster. I think I saw the rules here or on the Panther team page yesterday.

Scott-
I thought McGlover would be picked up quickly. I agree that Houston should be interesting to watch with his addition to their line. I'm rather glad he is out of the NFC South.

Posted by: FrankieB2 | Aug 31, 2008 7:37:50 PM

Wow I can't believe we let McClover go. Stupid move the the Panthers they don't recongized talent when they see it. McClover and Mario will be awesome together. Future top defensive end tandem. Wish you the best McClover.

Posted by: Ron | Aug 31, 2008 8:02:56 PM

I apolgoize to Charles and those who caught my error, for some reason I misread it and thought that Charles said defensive end and maybe if I actually could read before I jump the gun, I would save myself some embarassment. Though hey, if someone took the time to research it on wikipedia, that had to at least be interesting since that site seems to have just about everything on it.

Posted by: Orange Chuck | Aug 31, 2008 8:21:01 PM

I would also like to in advance say I am sorry for my awful typing this evening since it appears I can't even apologize correctly.

Posted by: Orange Chuck | Aug 31, 2008 8:22:22 PM

Basanez was too good to be resigned. Anyone who has even a passing knowledge of football knows that Jake Delhomme runs the QB's - not Mike McCoy. That's why we'll never have a safety net backup QB behind Jake. If we had had Basanez healthy last year when Jake went down, he would now be in a battle to take over as QB. The disgusting thing is that Fox, Herney, McCoy, and Davidson allows this to happen. We only have one QB on this team because that's the way Jake wants it - no competition.

Posted by: Trainwasher | Aug 31, 2008 9:23:50 PM

Interesting theory train....
I still don't like you though.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 31, 2008 10:44:33 PM

Conspiracy theories...gotta love 'em. Just a few problems with that one Trainwasher:

A) We just traded for Josh McCown, an experienced backup QB who is very similar to Jake and has starting experience. Probably not a move that Jake would have "endorsed" as our "director of QB operations."

B) Brett Basanez is not that good. If he was, someone else would have picked him up off waivers, or at least signed him to their practice squad. No one has.

If that post was sarcastic and I missed it, I apologize. ;)

Posted by: DB | Aug 31, 2008 10:47:43 PM

I do agree about not keeping Brett (if he was actually available) to the practice squad. But nothing kills me more than letting Holt go and keeping queerbait Salley instead. What a bonehead move!!! The safety position (SS in particular) is now thin because of that! For what? To have a "better special teams." Are you serious!?! First of all, that d*ckbanger can't even tackle (when it counts)!!!! Wow!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 31, 2008 10:49:56 PM

DB, that makes even more sense! BTW, I still hate Trainwasher.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 31, 2008 10:51:42 PM

Sign QB Chris Simms & S John Lynch! To make room, put Moore on IR and release & sign Mackenzy Bernadeau to the practice squad. Now you can keep Ms. Salley for your special teams too!
.... not to mention the team will have someone reliable to fall back on if Harris gets injured again & you carry 8 OL w/Bridges and Hangartner having enough versatility to shore up every position except LT (where Omfashalala comes in as the 8th lineman). That is all you need! Do that, and this team will have monsterous depth once again (for the present and future).

Note: They still have Birmingham on the practice squad for the HB position.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 1, 2008 4:54:36 AM

Way to cut Holt and Shaw to save face for your poor drafts. They could not cut a 3rd and 4th round pick, because it would prove a bad draft record. Anderson is not a good as Shaw and Salley has done nothing to warrent a spot ahead of Holt.

Posted by: Steven | Sep 1, 2008 9:34:50 AM

Um, the Panthers drafted Anderson AND Shaw, so how would cutting Shaw over Anderson show anything about their drafting abilities? Furthermore, Shaw was cut because he was a pure MLB, but he was never going to work into the rotation we have their with Beason, Seward, and Connor. Anderson is an outside backer, and we have less depth there.

I agree with Syrpis about the Salley over Holt deal. Holt is not a premiere safety by any means, but he is better than Salley by a long shot. Also, the argument about special teams makes no sense at all. Most of Holt's hype coming out of college was over his special teams abilities. I remember watching NC State games when he was there, and every game seemed like you were just waiting to see when he would block another kick. He had an uncanny knack for finding the soft spot and blowing by to get to the ball. What does Salley add on special teams?

Overall I am happy with the decisions except for that one.

And Trainwasher, you are an idiot. If Delhomme had any say in what QBs were brought in, do you think he would have "allowed" Hurney and Fox to bring in a former #1 pick last year in David Carr? I mean, we all know how badly that worked out in hindsight, but I remember there being a lot of talk before last season about how David Carr was going to be the QB of the future, and Delhomme should worry about his job, etc. etc.

Final word: Thank God Hurney and Fox don't consult this site for advice on how to run their team. Signing Ashley Lelie (a suggestion from a previous blog) or Chris Simms would be moronic because they both suck... hard, and though I love John Lynch, he is too slow to start at this point, but he wants to start. He would not come here to play backup.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 1, 2008 10:50:55 AM

There is a big difference between a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick. Plus, Shaw was a good special teams player, Anderson was not good at anything.

Posted by: Steven | Sep 1, 2008 4:15:09 PM

I don't get the Anderson over Shaw argument. Tim Shaw played one season with us, and granted, he ranked 2nd on special teams with 14 tackles that season, but that's really it. James Anderson on the other hand, has played 2 seasons with us now...not only contributing on special teams, but he started 3 games for us at MLB, filling in quite capably for the oft-injured Dan Morgan. He's got a QB hurry to his credit and two forced fumbles. I'd assume they kept him over Shaw because of his versatility to help out on both special teams and as a capable backup LB with actual game experience.

Regarding Holt vs. Salley, however. I'm in complete agreement. I'd much rather have kept Holt. And even if we didn't wind up using him that much as a starting safety, I'm sure he could have played on special teams just as ably as Salley.

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 1, 2008 6:17:56 PM

I'm sure there's more to the Holt vs. Salley thing than we would know. Perhaps, it came down to the player's ability to gel with his teammates or even listening to his coaches? Yes, we all know that Holt was the better candidate than Holt, but we don't know what went down to make them make that decision to go with Salley. Unless there is no other reason than talent alone, then yes, I agree the Panthers really overlooked on this one, but I'm sure there's something more to it that warranted Holt's cut. Just look at the Clocough, if that's his name. I heard he was going to make it in the roster, but because he made a dumb decision, he got cut. I think this personnel knows what they are doing. After all, it's their last chance to prove it...I don't think they just lackadaisically made up the decision to get rid of Holt and keep Salley purely because of talent. There's got to be more to it than what's told.

Posted by: K Lin | Sep 3, 2008 2:14:18 AM

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, K-Lin. But all indications had Holt as the better lockerroom presence, too. He was a veteran, much moreso than Salley. And he got his teammates fired up a lot more. So, you'd think that would be another reason to keep him over Salley.

Personally, I think some of it might come down to loyalty on the part of Fox and Hurney. I think they felt a little sorry for Salley being injured so much and missing previous seasons that they decided to give him this opportunity. Plus, they probably assumed that it wasn't necessarily all that fair to Holt to sign him, but have him playing behind Harris. By releasing him, they give Holt another opportunity to play elsewhere. Meanwhile, they get to keep Salley and see what he's got while he's healthy this year.

And it's not like Salley is a complete bum. He made some pretty spectacular plays at time, hitting guys in the backfield and dropping them for a loss...making his presence felt on special teams...and, like one of the earlier posters pointed out, he would have been a starter last year if injuries hadn't taken him out. That's why we went and got Harris (i.e., Minter's retirement, Salley's injury, etc.).

So, all in all, the coaching staff must still feel pretty good about what Salley can do. I just haven't seen his talent consistently applied when he's played. And it looks like a lot of his more spectacular plays came against 3rd and 4th stringers in preseason. When I look at his negatives...i.e., he got beat pretty badly and missed some tackles a few times, too...that's when I start to question keeping him over Holt. Because, Holt played with the 1st team while Harris was sitting out the preseason with his groin injury. And Holt was consistently good. The 1st team defense only allowed 3 points in the entire preseason. And Holt was a part of that. If he's also a proven veteran who displays leadership in the lockerroom, I just think that should have given him another leg up on Salley.

But, regardless, it's a small matter. Even if we kept Holt, he wouldn't see significant playing time unless Harris went down. Meanwhile, Salley will probably see significant playing time on special teams (a place where he performs a bit better than when he's with the defense). So, best of luck to Salley. I hope he makes a lot of tackles on kickoffs and punts. And best of luck to Holt, too. I hope another team gives him a chance. He's a decent safety. Not great by any stretch. But serviceable...

My two-cents,