« SI: Panthers to finish over .500 but out of playoffs | Main | Breaking down the trade »

August 29, 2008

Breaking News: Panthers trade for McCown

The Carolina Panthers have traded with the Miami Dolphins to obtain veteran quarterback Josh McCown.

McCown, 29, was in the running to be the Miami Dolphins' starting quarterback before the team signed Chad Pennington.

Pennington was slated to be the New York Jets' starter until they traded with Green Bay for Brett Favre.

McCown became unhappy after the Pennington acquisition and was hoping to go elsewhere.

The Panthers wouldn't disclose the compensation, but sources said they gave the Dolphins late-round draft pick compensation.

"Josh is a guy we've liked the last several years when he was an unrestricted free agent," said Panthers general manager Marty Hurney. "He's a guy who brings experience. He has a live arm, good intangibles and we think he's just a guy who will help our depth at the quarterback spot. We had an opportunity to do it and we thought it was a good fit."

McCown's acquisition came one day after Carolina backup quarterback Matt Moore suffered a deep bruise in his left leg playing in the team's exhibition finale at Pittsburgh. The team announced earlier today that the injury wasn't serious and that Moore was listed as "day to day."

Hurney said the Panthers remain high on Moore.

"We like Matt," he said. "We think we have a good mix."

Moore struggled this preseason, however. He didn't lead the Panthers to a touchdown in four exhibitions.

McCown likely will become the Panthers' No. 2 quarterback, and may stay there because of his experience even after Moore recovers.

The trade almost certainly means third-team quarterback Brett Basanez won't be in the mix after final cuts are made today.

Because the deal was completed after 4 p.m. Friday, the Panthers don't have to make a cut before their other roster moves today.

McCown has made 31 career starts in six seasons with the Cardinals, Lions and Raiders. He has completed 57.9 percent of his passes for 6,582 yards, 35 touchdowns and 40 interceptions. He's considered a mobile quarterback, and has rushed for 572 yards and three touchdowns.

Fumbling has been one of his problems. He has fumbled 39 times, losing 14.

McCown started nine games for the Raiders last season and was later signed by the Dolphins in the offseason.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 29, 2008 at 06:27 PM | Permalink

Comments

Wow, that doesn't sound like day-to-day to me? Is having McCown a better option than having Brett who already knows the playbook?

Posted by: RJ | Aug 29, 2008 6:39:39 PM

McCown will probably be No.2 over Moore even if healthy.

Posted by: robert | Aug 29, 2008 6:43:15 PM

Woooooooooooooo-hoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 6:46:06 PM

I was already gone before that last game.

Posted by: Baz's Ghost | Aug 29, 2008 6:50:54 PM

If McCown is given the number 2 spot over Matt Moore this is STUPID!! and i am sure that's what they are doing.....McNown has stunk it up! I mean...His experience makes him a better option as bk up QB than Brett Basenez...probably but to bring him in not knowing the playbook or system! and put him ahead of Matt moore is stupid!!! I am fine with this as long as he doesn't put matt Moore at number 3 QB

Posted by: Cheven | Aug 29, 2008 7:08:19 PM

A wise choice. Moore did struggle this preseason (sophmore slump?) and Fox/Hurney are still having nightmares of Vinny and ol' two gloves. They cannot afford a repeat of last year at the QB position. McCown is an average QB but an upgrade from Baz for sure-no disrespect to Baz however. I think he'll land somewhere and be a good back-up someday. But could they really afford to go into the season with an injured Moore or Baz as their #2 given last year?

Posted by: gradyhog | Aug 29, 2008 7:10:10 PM

Good job Chandler, a tad late but provided good insight, including the after 4 p.m deal

Posted by: Panther4life | Aug 29, 2008 7:15:19 PM

Personally I like this. I am not infatuated with Moore and personally would rather keep Basanez than Moore. I may be in the minority here but feel Brett has a greater upside than Moore does.

Posted by: Coolness | Aug 29, 2008 7:21:40 PM

From what I can see, Charles reported it first! Panther4Life... Go F*CK yourself! Besides, who cares who reported first!? What are you, some poor schlob that can't get over the fact they never panned out as a sportswriter!?! Our were you simply just not good enough to being with!?

I'm sick of some of you being so negative about these articles. Can someone in charge Pleeeeeease banish these guys. It has really gotten on my last nerve.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 7:34:46 PM

Now that I got that off of my chest...

I'm extatic they brought anyone in with experience. I personally like Moore, but he is not ready to step in and take us to the superbowl if need be. Brett definately has much more upside, but that just means he has got alot more work to do.

As far as McCown goes, I think this is a great pick up! He has several years in the league, has been around about and has experience with several systems. His understanding of the nature of how the NFL game unfolds should be much more clear to him now. I also love his mobility. He also has had some great flashes in his career. Backing up Delhomme and being surrounded with the talent that he now has on offense will definately make him (and Jake) a better QB.

I still would like them to go after one more QB and let them try out as the regular season unfolds. I do like Moore, but I want to see this team go all the way this year (just so you Fox haters can get off of his back).

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 7:40:35 PM

I find it a little hard to believe this is the same guy who, not so long ago, tossed around the scathing slur “hack” with such vehemence that one assumed anyone putting pen to paper for the Observer was the essence of pure evil.

Posted by: hillbilly | Aug 29, 2008 9:34:11 PM

Don't put words in my mouth, self-proclaimed hillbilly. This is the same guy that went after Pat Yastinked-up-the-place and Mr. Green pants & pink shirt wearing Scott (couldn't be more) Fowler. I did make myself clear (repeatedly) as to why. Just because you obviously didn't get the message, I'll repeat it again. Before the season even started, they were calling for Fox's head. Cowher moved to town and is poised to take over the team, according to them. They lobbied vicioiusly and endlessly to remove Fox and hire Cowher.

Though I was a Cowher fan before all that took place, those two hack reporters contributions to the Panther organization last year played a large role in what took place. Team morale was at an all-time low and Fox had been labeled a marked man, thanks to their efforts.

I could go on and on, but that is exactly why I persistantly got vocal about what was going on. Now you pretend to be ecducated with your word choice and eloquant verbage, but only an ignorant bastard like you can overlook the clear cut message in many of my posts and make the clain that, "anyone putting pen to paper for the Observer was the essence of pure evil."

If there are any legal reprecussions (or any negative effects of any kind) I will be coming straight after your igorant, dumb a** for your slander against me. Now get off of my back you scumbucket!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 10:18:49 PM

"Hillbilly," huh? Your real name wouldn't be Pat, now would it?

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 29, 2008 10:23:34 PM

i feel the writers are not tough enough on fox.they have been out of the playoffs 4 of 6 years. the team seems to lack a killer instinct and intensity ,ex.peppers and co. laughing on the sidelines during losses.can you imagine that happening on a parcells or belechick team.offense is boring and ultra conservative.everybody uses the spread off and teams pass to set up the run,all except the panthers.defense is vanilla and apparently too complicated for the players to learn so they dumbed it down for godfrey.also,the team is so secretive about everything that i wouldnt blame the writers for being tough on fox.hurney and don gregory have kept this ship from totally sinking.cowher in 09!

Posted by: ray barone | Aug 30, 2008 10:54:42 AM

Dumb move. We blow a draft pick (I hope it's conditional) and we pay a heck of a lot more for a guy who won't be any more able to get us in the playoffs or win there than Moore or Basanez.

Right, ray...how DARE Fox not get the team in the playoffs the last two years with the 16th-rated QB in NFL HISTORY missing 16 games combined? How DARE he not let the team finish any worse than 7-9 after seasons of 1-15, 4-12, and other embarrassing scenarios? How dare John Fox let Peppers stay the same complacent, inconsistent, and lazy player he's been since high school? John Fox is the problem. You got it.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 30, 2008 3:13:38 PM

im glad you finally have come to your senses procton.

Posted by: blind to sarcasm | Aug 30, 2008 5:24:23 PM

McCown is an improvement over what we had at the backup QB position.

Posted by: J Thomas | Aug 30, 2008 8:16:27 PM

Procton,

Your sister was nice, but mother was even better. What trailer number are you in again? I will bring their shoes by so you don't have to waste your gas money.

Posted by: Julius Peppers | Aug 31, 2008 3:33:56 PM