« Stewart's toe still touchy | Main | Wednesday afternoon practice notes »

August 06, 2008

Pre-afternoon practice notes, thoughts, etc.

-- It'll be plenty steamy during the Panthers' afternoon practice, which should be just getting underway. It's 99 degrees in Spartanburg, according to weather.com.

-- With all the buzz about Green Bay QB Brett Favre perhaps getting traded into the NFC South with the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Panthers are starting to talk informally about the facing him twice this season.

Linebacker Jon Beason had an interesting idea, saying the Bucs could trade for Favre and then trade him to Minnesota, which is apparently where he wants to play. The Packers are opposed to that, however, because Minnesota is in their division (NFC North).

While that's creative thinking by Beason, the Packers almost certainly will make sure Favre plays wherever they trade him.

Well, gotta head outside into the heat. Will update after practice.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 6, 2008 at 03:03 PM | Permalink

Comments

They can actually stipulate something like that in their negotiations? What happens if a team recinds in that kind of agreement?

Moreover, I have to agree with one of the resident posters who prviously said that the Panthers have faced Favre before.... "so what." :) you gottal love that attitude! It's a great point!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 6, 2008 3:14:17 PM

call me a fool. Even if he doesnt go to Tampa Bay, the fact that it is even close to happening is pure victory

"And Matt...you're a fool if you think Favre's going to TB... Gruden isn't dumb enough to piss off Garcia even MORE.
Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 7, 2008 9:01:03 PM

Posted by: matt | Aug 6, 2008 3:14:51 PM

That's been my idea all along. What's to stop Minnesota or Chicago from saying "Hey, give GB your 2nd. We'll give you our 1st"? Though the salary cap implications are different and make it more difficult, I've seen it happen in baseball. The Packers wouldn't have any ability to limit such a move once they made the initial trade, either.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 6, 2008 3:32:36 PM

Really? You people think the Packers don't have the ability to limit Favre's movement after they trade him? I imagine that the Packers would trade Favre to Tampa for, say, Tampa's 2009 second round pick voidable to their first round pick for the next eleventymillion years if they ever trade him to a NFC North Team.

All it takes is one second of thinking outside the box boys and girls.

Posted by: resident jenius | Aug 6, 2008 3:45:58 PM

I think the more likely outcome is something like Farve to the Bucs for a 2nd rounder, then the Bucs ship Garcia to the Vikings or Bears for a 3rd or 4th rounder

Posted by: tarheelmax | Aug 6, 2008 3:49:29 PM

Procton are you kidding me. That has not been your idea. Green Bay could absoultely stop TB from trading Favre to anyone especially a NFC North team. Procton got called out again!! He once again shows theres no room for the band in football.

Posted by: wowo | Aug 6, 2008 5:16:22 PM

I hear ya, SYRPIS!! It's all about attitude. Besides, I don't think that Favre to Galloway puts fear in the hearts of men anyway.

Posted by: Scott | Aug 6, 2008 5:37:38 PM

And what exactly is a resident jenius anyway?

Posted by: Scoitt | Aug 6, 2008 5:38:42 PM

Point is moot. Favre goes to the New York Jets. They aren't even on our schedule. Looks like we'll still be facing Garcia, et. al. twice this season.

Posted by: NSpicer | Aug 7, 2008 7:59:14 AM

Procton, I love how dumb your comments are sometimes.

"The NFL Network also is reporting that the Packers took great pains to ensure that Favre would not be traded to the Vikings by inserting a "poison pill" in the deal. If Favre were to be traded to Minnesota, New York would have to surrender three first-round picks to Green Bay."

Posted by: Mason | Aug 7, 2008 8:36:31 AM

Uhh, yeah. I can go to the tape from Fox Sports Radio where I proposed the idea several weeks ago. And matt, congrats on your "victory"...except I was right.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 7, 2008 8:42:27 AM

Oh, and I certainly haven't heard about any "poison pills" keeping the Jets from shipping him to, say, Chicago.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 7, 2008 8:43:58 AM