« Lucas: I've forgiven him | Main | Lucas Q&A: "A blessing in disguise" »

August 04, 2008

Smith: "I'm completely wrong"

Here's the transcript of Steve Smith's comments to the media a few minutes ago at Panthers' training camp regarding punching Ken Lucas last Friday. It earned Smith a suspension for the first two regular-season games.

"First of all, I'd really like to apologize to the orginization, to the coaches, to my teammates, to my family. I have a big responsibility to a lot of people and I know I disappointed a lot of people, but I will not allow this moment in the book of life to define me, despite what people may write or say.

"I made a bad decision. I accept my responsibilities and my actions. I will take this opportunity moving forward to try to do the best I can to move forward past it and let this not define me and not get down on myself to the point that I'm not able to help my teammates out and help this organization win a championship.

"His issue that happened is going to be an opportunity for the Carolina Panthers and myself as an individual to show our true colors and be able to show the impact we can have and not have this moment leave the legacy of who I am to my children, who I am to my teammates, who I am as a man.

"I will not put myself in position where I have to defend myself or state my side of the story. There's only one side, which is a lack of judgment on my part. ... I have no excuse. All I have is the opportunity to gain the respect of my fans, gain the respect of my family, gain the respect of my co-workers and the orgainzation, and also the peers I play against as well.

"I'm going to take this opportunity to let God break me, humble me, and continually let me move forward in being the person I can truly be -- and that's a God-fearing man, no matter what people may think or what they may say.

"It's an opportunity for me to stand tall and take my punishment, but take it with God on  my side and not me standing up trying to be something that I',m not. I'm a fallen man. I'm a man who made a mistake.

"I intend to mend the bridges I have burned and help rebuild a bridge if I need to all by myself, but not do it in a spiteful way. But to do it witih the labor and the sound mind that God gives me, which is to do what I'm supposed to do.

"I'm not going to get into who's right, who's wrong. I'm completely wrong. (It was) an asinine decision. I'm going to move forward, and move forward better than I probably have had to.

"This is the first time in my life that I really haven't forgiven myself. That's what's I'm going to work on."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM | Permalink

Comments

Thanks for letting us know God is on your side. This breaking news is just in.... ah, I was going to make a synical comment but nevermind. I just hope he's right and sincere. The young Smith fans also need to realize just how much money this guy lost doing what he did, otherwise all they are getting out of this is that superstars can do anything and get away with it. We already have too much of that mentatlity going on as it is.

Smith... PLEASE ADDRESS THAT ISSUE on higher circulated outlets! That is, if you really care.

Finally, I know Lucas is not completely innocent, but I just hope he doesn't suffer much more from this incident.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 4, 2008 12:57:36 PM

Just to clarify, I mean "right" about his other comments. Of course, God is on everyone's side, since we are all his children. FYI :)

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 4, 2008 12:58:47 PM

great statement, steve

Posted by: Matt | Aug 4, 2008 1:16:01 PM

Typical L.A. THUG

Posted by: bret favre | Aug 4, 2008 1:18:42 PM

His lawyer/agent authored a well written statement. How much of this is actually the words of Smith?

Posted by: Russ Liachoff | Aug 4, 2008 1:22:39 PM

p.s. syrpis, is synical sort of like the word Cynical?

Posted by: brett favre | Aug 4, 2008 1:23:17 PM

I wonder what big cat richardson would have done to me?

Posted by: dwayne jarrett | Aug 4, 2008 1:27:29 PM

I noticed that Smith appologized to everyone except Lucas. Is he sorry for what he did to Lucas or is he sorry about what this is going to do to his "image"?

Posted by: Big Daddy | Aug 4, 2008 1:29:33 PM

I wish the author of this post would have proof read it. I think Smith wants to WIN a championship not WHEN one.

On the other hand, I have met Smith in a social setting and he really is a quite, kept guy, I think this is sincere... not just a PR statement produced by a lawyer.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 4, 2008 1:30:52 PM

quiet, sorry... I guess I should proof read myself ;-)

Posted by: Josh | Aug 4, 2008 1:31:59 PM

Glad to see he came to know God , I hope the best for Smith and that did will not Tarnish is Legacy as a Person first and player. As Lucas told reporter this bad mistak by smith and you can say lucas will bring this team closer,And all we could hope is this just wont be a Carolina Panthers team but a Carolina Panthers Family who will do what ever it take for each other.

Posted by: Tell It Like It Is | Aug 4, 2008 1:34:47 PM

Of course, the best thing would have been for Steve and Ken to not to have gotten in this confrontation, but it happened. Smith has done the correct thing now by expressing is remorse, and his appologies. No matter if he had gone around to each teammate, fan, and person in the media personally and appologized there would still be those who said it was not sincere, so you can't worry about those folks. They have their own issues they need to work out. I just hope he has talked to Lucas on a personal level, appologized, and have come to an understanding on the level of respect that they need to show each other going forward as teammates.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 4, 2008 1:38:41 PM

I don't know what more Steve Smith could have said and I commend him for "owning" his behavior. He made no excuses are there are none to be made. He hit the nail on the head when he said he is a fallen man. We are all fallen. Here's hoping that some good will come out of a terrible mistake and that this is a big wake-up call. If the guy who was on the receiving end of the assault can forgive and forget, then so should we. Steve should also forgive himself, but not forget. Every time something rages up inside him, he needs to remember this incident and find a way to channel that energy in a way that does not involve his fists. But, thank you Steve for humbling yourself before us and for taking responsibility with no excuses.

Posted by: fan4life | Aug 4, 2008 1:47:00 PM

He beat me up too!

Posted by: Stephen Davis | Aug 4, 2008 1:47:08 PM

Yes Brett, it is. On a related note, it's awesome to get corrected by a superstar!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 4, 2008 1:47:37 PM

Would you all quit posting everything we all just read!

Posted by: Jeff davis | Aug 4, 2008 1:49:56 PM

This sht has been blown waaaaaaaaay outta porportion...I coach football...fights in 2 a days are the norm, then they kiss and make up....you see, competition will cause that sht, IF guys are giving it their all, its gonna happen people, its a part of football...football is not an office job ok...BUT I do believe that with all the media attention surrounding this, these guys are gonna perform like never before just to prove a point to the public. I believe this years Panthers are superbowl bound....

Posted by: chris | Aug 4, 2008 1:52:10 PM

Hey Russ,

Steve Smith is college educated. Im sorry that your Southern upbringin cant relate a well spoken statement to a guy who looks like Steve.

Posted by: Russ Killer | Aug 4, 2008 1:52:31 PM

I would like to compare this statement to the one he issued after nearly beating Anthony Bright to a pulp. He should just keep this on file for the "next time". Sometimes sorry is just not enough.

Posted by: bruce | Aug 4, 2008 1:53:25 PM

Steve and Ken are products of their own competitive natures, but also carry with them (as we all do) the cumulative character crafted from youth through their current station in life. I think both men strive to allow God to be Lord of their life, and as Christians we all recognize how difficult that is. Sin affects us all, and sin is most obvious when we allow our anger to take action. I am thankful to read of the witness these two men are making. I knew of Steve's faith and the many strides he has taken over the years to serve faithfully. I'm glad to read of Ken's strength of his faith in the Lord. Steve knows that God has already forgiven him, and wants him to forgive himself. We are all in a continuous struggle to serve faithfully while we learn from our mistakes. I am sure both Ken and Steve will grow stronger from this experience, as will many members of this team. Life is more important than football, but football often provides some good lessons regarding life.

Posted by: Obedient Son | Aug 4, 2008 1:57:51 PM

sounds like John Kasay may have wrote some of that or influenced it

Posted by: jp | Aug 4, 2008 2:04:53 PM

wonder if he realizes how much his anger and image issues hurt him with endorsements

Posted by: jp | Aug 4, 2008 2:06:40 PM

I have read some of the comments lately and I am not shocked at some of the judgemental statements. I in no way approve of Smiths actions, but I wonder how many people that ran their mouth haven't been given the same number of chances or more in life to fix their problems. He has apologized and hopefully rational people can accept that. His actions were stupid but people need to move on. As a Christian he made a huge mistake but as Jesus said "he who is without sin cast the first stone...". I pray he gets help and grows spiritually from this. There are enough people in the world that never admit to thier mistakes, and Steve proved he's not one of them.

Posted by: CEREBRUM | Aug 4, 2008 2:09:44 PM

I believe Steve is sincere and I hope he is able to move on from this without it tarnishing him.

I don't understand why people don't believe that these are his own words. If you have ever heard him talk in an interview you would know that he is pretty well-spoken.

Posted by: Yeah? | Aug 4, 2008 2:18:09 PM

Whoever posted that s@*t about me being a LA THUG, ill find your ass. and when i do, you better know Jesus too motherf@*&er.

Posted by: steve smith | Aug 4, 2008 2:56:22 PM