« Transcript of John Fox's Monday news conference | Main | Beason showing his star potential »

September 22, 2008

Connor has torn ACL

Linebacker Dan Connor's rookie season with the Carolina Panthers is over.

The team announced Monday that Connor suffered a torn ACL and will miss the remainder of the season.

Connor injured his knee during Sunday's 20-10 loss at Minnesota. He was carted to the locker room from the sidelines with his leg wrapped. He underwent an MRI Monday, which confirmed the severity of the injury.

Carolina picked Connor, a former Penn State All-American, in the third round of the NFL draft and he'd already become a valuable member of the special teams units.

The Panthers haven't announced a corresponding roster move, but could look to bring back linebacker/special teammer Donte' Curry, who was released last week to make room for Steve Smith's return to the roster.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on September 22, 2008 at 03:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

Well doesn't that just add injury to insult..I don't remember Connor being carted off, can anyone tell me when it was? It may have been one of those times I stepped out for smoke break so I didn't pull all of my hair out.

Posted by: JV | Sep 22, 2008 4:20:51 PM

Uh yes Curry! Sorry for cutting you last week. We just thought you sucked and....I mean we needed to get rid of SOMEONE since Smitty was coming back and you were.....listen can you come back for the Panthers? Please? Dan Conner who's a better player than yo....listen just please come back.

Just kidding. Hope to have you back next year Connor. Study hard and perhaps you'll have a starting spot in a few years.

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 22, 2008 4:29:56 PM

Tough way to end a promising season. It's difficult when an injury happens in any fashion and it's even tougher when it happens on a unrecognizable play. ACL injuries seem to be the growing thing for athletes across the board.

Posted by: Doc | Sep 22, 2008 4:30:19 PM

that sucks. i watched dan very closely in the preseason and he hits as hard as Jarrod Cooper did when he played here. wich brings up another point hey Panthers "Coop" is available!

Posted by: tj | Sep 22, 2008 5:26:29 PM

TIM SHAW TIME!!!

Posted by: dusty | Sep 22, 2008 7:12:04 PM

What a bummer. I hate to see knee injuries at any time, but when a young guy gets hurt like that it really saddens me. Now, he will have to contend with this the rest of his life and may not even be able to return to the level he has been playing. I hope he recovers completely.

Posted by: FrankieB2 | Sep 22, 2008 7:39:47 PM

JV said: ".I don't remember Connor being carted off, can anyone tell me when it was?"

JV, I never take my eyes off the game for a second, and I never saw it either. But then again, that's FOX TV and their never ending partisan commentators. Partisan for every team we play and never for the Panthers. "WHY IS THAT?" Why are we the only fans who have to endure the partisanship of our announcers for the very team we are playing?

Posted by: Trainwasher | Sep 22, 2008 8:39:52 PM

Posted by: Trainwasher | Sep 22, 2008 8:40:52 PM

Bad news. This is one of those small injuries on the surface that could mean bigger things for the ST unit as a whole, like DeLoatch and Wesley last year. Fortunate that he's at such a deep position (LB, and, specifically, MLB.) We could bring back Curry, but we've certainly got options if we want to go another direction--like DL with Johnson potentially hurting, or OL, where our depth's already been tested--we can.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 22, 2008 11:37:53 PM

tj, Cooper didn't come back well from a recent knee injury and retired before the season.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 22, 2008 11:39:15 PM

Maybe we could talk Junior Seau into playing one more year?

Talk about a long shot...

Posted by: Justin | Sep 23, 2008 2:13:07 AM

I am Justin's brain and I really know little about football. I think Seau would be good, because he is a big name, forty something player. I don't realize that we need a special teams player that would help this team. I would also like to sign Joe Montana and Deacon Jones. Jones would really help the pass rush.

Posted by: Justin's brain | Sep 23, 2008 11:14:05 AM

Grow up, jerk.

I'm sick of a-hole Panthers fans like yourself. You give the rest of us a bad name.

Posted by: Justin | Sep 23, 2008 3:36:10 PM

Herald Online is reporting that Donte Curry is the guy.

Posted by: Steven | Sep 23, 2008 4:13:09 PM

What is the over/under on the number of fumbles Jake Fumblelomme will have this week.

Last week
2 Fumbles
1 Lost Fumble
Gave up 7 points
Took all the momentum away.
Rubbed his arm and looked for someone to blame.

All this caused by a little DB.

Get rid of Nick Goings please.

Too bad Moore was in the Pittsburgh game too long. Now we don't have any QB's ready.

Yes Jake made a good pass at SD along with many over your head and in front of your feet.

When he gets hit Sunday he should lay down and go to the dressing room for evualation.

All we need is an accurate passer. If we use Jonathan Stewart and the tight ends the deep game will be open.

Can you imagine if we had only took Farve off of Green Bay's hands.

Jake would be nothing without Smith, Smith is the only one who can jump the required 12 feet into the air for his overthrown passes.

I have always defended Jake but I have finally accepted we must find someone else if we are ever going to be consistent. I don't mean 2 years out of 6.

I haven't done the stats and I am sure Procton will. I would like to see how many fumbles Jake has had versus TD's over his career with the Panthers.

I will be in my seat Sunday pulling for him but I have stopped drinking the Jake Kool-Aid.

Posted by: jason | Sep 23, 2008 7:28:11 PM

Didn't Jake have 3 fumbles Sunday? 2 lost and 1 recovered by O-line?

Posted by: heelzrule | Sep 23, 2008 7:55:21 PM

Has anyone seen Farve play in NY this year, he is making worse throws than jake, and also has one less victory.

Posted by: Billy | Sep 23, 2008 8:00:33 PM

ABSOLUTELY right, Jason. Delhomme is NOTHING without Smith. That's why he was 5th and 7th in the NFL in passing TDs and yardage in '04...with KEARY COLBERT starting. If our offensive line could pass block to save their life (and they haven't since, well, '03), maybe he wouldn't get blindsided so often. Then again, with our total inability to keep anyone in the same position from year to year, that's no surprise. But hey, Otah's a mauler when he knows the snap count, huh?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 23, 2008 8:23:30 PM

Yeah Colbert is an ALL PRO I think he got traded again last week.

But anyway stick to the numbers that's all you have.

How many fumbles Vs. TD's during his panther career?

Posted by: jason | Sep 23, 2008 8:33:29 PM

Too bad Jake didn't take some lessons from Vinny last year.

You can't hold the ball all day and not get hit. The other team is on the field to.

Posted by: jason | Sep 23, 2008 8:35:47 PM

Jake does better when they are in the hurry up. I think they need to insert some no-huddle.

Posted by: jason | Sep 23, 2008 8:36:53 PM

To answer the TDs vs. fumbles question about Jake Delhomme...

2003 - 19 TDs, 15 Fumbles, 6 Lost
2004 - 29 TDs, 12 Fumbles, 5 Lost
2005 - 24 TDs, 12 Fumbles, 6 Lost
2006 - 17 TDs, 6 Fumbles, 4 Lost
2007* - 8 TDs, 1 Fumbles, 0 Lost
2008* - 1 TD, 3 Fumbles, 2 Lost

* Only 3 games played in 2007 and so far in 2008

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 23, 2008 9:00:00 PM

In addition, during Jakes two playoff runs in 2003 and 2005, he also had 3 fumbles (none lost) and 2 fumbles (1 lost), respectively.

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 23, 2008 9:05:42 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about Jake Delhomme. Remember that this year we actually have a running game. Last year Jake was throwing the ball a whole lot more than this year. Since he practiced more on this, it led to less fumbles.

Now they're back to the power running game. It should really be 1 TD 2 fumbles because of a offensive lineman that slammed his arm into the football for some odd reason. That, and we've faced 3 really good football teams. The next 3 games should be smooth sailing. His TD's will go up.

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 23, 2008 11:51:26 PM

Bad news on Connor, but hopefully he will come back stronger next year.

Yes, Jake fumbles a little to much but if Goings could block somebody the TD would not have happened.

Posted by: Thorrez | Sep 24, 2008 3:41:28 AM