« Harris toots his own horn (sort of) | Main | Panthers logo on the field »

September 11, 2008

Muhammad heaps praise on Bears defense

With the Panthers preparing to play the Chicago Bears here Sunday, who better to ask for a defensive scouting report than Carolina WR Muhsin Muhammad, who played for Chicago the past three seasons?

Asked what stuck out in his mind about the Bears, Muhammad said, "Well when I was there, it was definitely the defensive line. Very athletic, very fast, quick guys. A real experienced linebacking corps that's played together for years; they know each other really well.

And their defensive backfield -- this is a good defense all the way around. Nathan Vasher, Charles Tillman are both really good corners. I thought Peanut (Tillman) should've had a shot to go to the Pro Bowl one year; he played really well up there.

"And then (Safety) Mike Brown has been a Pro Bowl guy; he's healthy now. The other safety, Kevin Payne, I haven't seen him play a whole lot, but he's a good player."

And a great stat created by this bunch of Bears -- last season, they forced 65 "three-and-outs," the most in the NFL.

Forget about the Chargers?

Across the locker room, defensive tackle Damione Lewis was asked how hard it was to forget the San Diego upset and concentrate on Chicago.

"For us, it's easy," he said. "Because we've started watching film on Chicago and we have a new challenge this week. So that's behind us; that's in the past. You've got to move on; you can't live in the past in this league. Each week brings a new challenge; a different team, a different personality, a different style of football.

"So you really have to hone in on what's going on this week and make sure we're focused and sound on what we're going to be doing."

--Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on September 11, 2008 at 02:04 PM | Permalink

Comments

What's the injury report look like after today's practice?

Posted by: TP | Sep 11, 2008 3:45:33 PM

John Fox needs to make a rule in the locker room where you can only talk about your victories over the weekend so that they can concentrate on practice and creating more victories rather than dwelling on the victories of the past. This may seem a bit harsh, but this is kind of my pet peeve when it comes to football. A team gets overconfident the week before and if they suddenly get down by two scores the day the game hits they suddenly give up and start going through the motions of football without really playing at all.

I sure hope that they know what they're doing when this Sunday hits. If there is anything coach Lovie Smith has done in Chicago, he has revived the defense there and it'll be tough to run against them. Every tackle they make they're looking to cause a fumble. Chris Harris came from Chicago, and he led our team in fumbles forced last year. A good part of that success came from Lovie's defensive philosophy to always tackle the ball, not the person holding it.

I'm excited. This is going to be a great test for our new running game. They had a great game against San Diego, and if they can have a great game against Chicago's talented defense then I won't have to worry so much about Carolina backstroking every time they get a big win.

Mr. Revshawn

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 11, 2008 3:47:40 PM

On injuries: Did not participate: Matt Moore (leg) and Travelle Wharton (knee). Limited participation: Na'il Diggs (shoulder), Chris Gamble (arm), Ryne Robinson (knee) and Dante Rosario (foot)

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 11, 2008 3:48:58 PM

Revshawn...I think this answers your concern,

quote:

I don't think this classifies dwelling on the victory. I think part of their motivation is most people think the win against SD was a fluke or luck. Now, people are saying Chicago beat Indy and you can't win two tough games in a row. It's the home opener, they want to prove last week wasn't luck. They will be ready and focused. PANTHER PRIDE!

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Sep 11, 2008 8:02:34 PM

Lets also not forget that the Panthers have lost last 4 home openers. Pretty sure that might help motivate them.

Posted by: heelzrule | Sep 11, 2008 8:31:35 PM

Yes that too. Whatever motivates them to win, I'm good. PANTHER PRIDE!

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Sep 11, 2008 8:42:57 PM

I'll be really surprised (but very pleased!) if the Panthers can devise a game plan that knocks off Chicago. On paper, I think this one looks like a loss. If we play it close and learn from it so we can beat them later in the playoffs with Steve Smith back on the roster, I'll be satisfied with that. But I honestly hope they prove me wrong and win this one outright, ushering in a new era of Carolina football and forcing all the analysts to recognize that something big is stirring in the Panthers' den.

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 12, 2008 8:00:25 AM

Hello Panther fans! Chicago Bears fan here. Just wanted to stop by and wish you guys luck this week. This will be a great game for both teams involved. Each team hopes to begin the season 2-0. Neither team was given much of a chance at that possibility before the season began.

I for one also wish that Steve Smith was active for this game. Not that I don't think he is a great player, he is honestly, but I don't want a Chicago win being discounted due to his absence. I would rather see both teams field their very best and see who comes out on top.

BEAR DOWN!

Jon

Posted by: Jon | Sep 12, 2008 11:34:53 AM

Well said, Jon! And best of luck to your guys (on any other day except this Sunday...and the playoffs if we happen to meet again). ;-)

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 13, 2008 9:34:18 AM