« Postgame Q&A | Main | Injuries update »

September 28, 2008

Panthers win, 24-9

By Charles Chandler

cchandler@charlotteobserver.com

Two big plays in the passing game helped the Carolina Panthers over the Atlanta Falcons 24-9 Sunday at Bank of America Stadium.

The win raised Carolina’s record to 3-1, the team’s second-best start through four games since reaching 5-0 in its 2003 Super Bowl season.

The Panthers’ win, coupled with Tampa Bay’s win over Green Bay, left Carolina and the Buccaneers tied in first place in the NFC South Division. It was also the 100th regular-season victory in Panthers’ franchise history.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme passed for 294 yards, including touchdown passes of 56 yards to Steve Smith and 36 yards to Muhsin Muhammad.

Carolina overcame injuries to both starting offensive tackles. Left tackle Jordan Gross left in the first period with a head injury, and right tackle Jeff Otah injured his right ankle late in the third quarter.

To compensate for the losses, left guard Travelle Wharton moved to left tackle, Geoff Hangartner came in to play left guard and Jeremy Bridges took over at right tackle.

As a sign of the Panthers’ increased depth on the offensive line this season, all three of the aforementioned players have started previously at those positions.

Carolina’s other touchdown came on an 8-yard run by rookie Jonathan Stewart – his fourth touchdown of the season.

Atlanta’s only points came on three field goals by veteran kicker Jason Elam. The Falcons fell to 2-2.

The Panthers’ defense did an especially good job defending running back Michael Turner, who entered the game as the NFL’s  leading rusher. He was held to 56 yards on 18 carries.

The Panthers play at home again next week against Kansas City.

Charles Chandler: (704) 358-5123.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 28, 2008 at 04:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

Great performance by Jake! Brilliant performance by Poopers too. Keep it rollin' Cats!!! Back to back to back wins! Go Panthers!

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 28, 2008 4:17:48 PM

Oh yeah, I thought Hoccullii (or something like that) was going to be officiating last week's game when I first heard he got demoted. I guess it took a week for it to go through. I guess this confirms that the Panthers can't get a good crew. Honestly, I always wanted ed to officiate the Panther games, but not under these conditions.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 28, 2008 4:21:55 PM

Im kinda worried bout those injuries though. Delhomme has quad, Otah knee and Gross head. Gross prolly has concussion Im pretty sure Otah will be ready for Kansas City next sunday, braces help the knee. Delhomme, well, his isnt bad cuz he kept completing passes after it started to hurt.

Special Teams with punts, i tell you eventhough Jason droped it, Goings still didnt block hard on that play. He let Abraham go on in. Take Goings off the team and get a O lineman for insurance.

Posted by: paul | Sep 28, 2008 4:26:41 PM

Anyone who tries to knock anything that Julius Peppers did or didn't do in this game is a fool. I've been hard on the guy, but he showed the tenacity and effort that helped make him a force in the league.

Also, penalties must stop.....FOX!!!

Posted by: matt | Sep 28, 2008 4:28:45 PM

Luckily the Panthers were able to contain Turner but Ryan was the victim of alot of dropped passes. If not for that Atlanta could have won this game. I dont know why Norwood doesnt start over Turner but Im glad Atlanta kept him on the sidelines. Getting 11 penalties doesnt show much improvement from last week.

Posted by: marvel | Sep 28, 2008 4:41:39 PM

This was an impressive effort, and we have every reason to be optimistic about where this team is going this year. EXCEPT, our Special Teams coach really, really, really needs to go. Last year, our special teams play was modiocre to poor, and this year we have already had 2 punts blocked and have looked pretty lame on punt and kick-off coverage. And as an added insult, we had 12 men on the field on an Atlanta field goal attempt today which ended up giving Atlanta 3 points. This is absolutely unacceptable and speaks loudly to this problem that the Panthers desperately need to solve. Yes, our new long kick-off specialist has played well, as have Jones and Stewart on returns. But these guys our simply good players; I see no reason why we should give Crossman credit for their play. We all know that Fox loves his guys and gives them ample rope to hang themselves. As far as I'm concerned, Crossman has been dangling from the rafters for over a year now.

Posted by: K-Mel | Sep 28, 2008 5:18:07 PM

Pretty good win. I personally though we could have done better, but then again, the Falcons missed some opportunities as well.

Positives
-Jake to Moose and Steve, it was great to see.
-The first man NEVER brings #28 down by himself. Stewart is gonna be a star.
-I absolutely love the D and the fact that we haven't given up a 100 yds to one back yet.
-Peppers. He was all over the place all day. Several hurries, blocked pass, sack, just overall a good performance.
-Special Teams coverage.

Negatives
-Nick Goings has to go. Yes, I know that Baker dropped the ball but did you see that crappy "block" he "threw". Thats three weeks in a row, come on.
- Far too many times we fell into the Run-Run-Pass crap we are so well known for. Eventually we did open it up though.
-More Stupid Penalties.
-Ed Hochuli. Hang em up, you are no longer a Super Bowl caliber Ref.

GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: Henry | Sep 28, 2008 5:24:33 PM

K-mel I definitely respect your opinion but I think the coverage aspect was better today. The blocking however, was a bit suspect.

Posted by: Henry | Sep 28, 2008 5:25:36 PM

I was at the Panthers game, and I must say I was pleasantly suprised and amazed. You should have seen it at the stadium. It's was great! Everyone was excited and having a good time, heckling at the Falcon fans that left the game early and slapping each other on the back like we were all brothers. It was so exciting that I could hear the people from the stadium cheering all the way over at the Charlotte Observer building 15 minutes AFTER the game was over. There were pretty much nothing I didn't like during the game except for two plays, which I will now state.

Play 1 was near the start of the game when we returned a interception for a TD. The penalty thrown was beyond irritating. I don't even remember what it was for. I was too busy tearing my hair out at how utterly stupid the penalty was after I watched the replay on the replay screen. Help me out here guys.

Play 2 was when the punt was dropped by Baker. I see that some of you guys are complaining about Hoovers block. Let me reinforce the fact that it is Baker's fault that the punt was blocked. He was the one that dropped the ball on that play, not Brad Hoover. This play is supposed to work like clockwork. Hoover doesn't have time to think about what is going on. He delivers a shot on the closest guy that makes it through the ST line, and his mind is on to running back down the field. You'll see him do this every single time that Carolina punts the ball. He did nothing different that play than he has done this entire season. I don't think he has eyes in the back of his head watching Baker drop the ball. There was no way he could have stopped what happened. Even if the punt wasn't blocked, it would have been launched high into the air and wouldn't have gone that far. Baker's fault.

On injuries: I'm worried about Jordan Gross. He was completely knocked out and he was on his back for quite a while. KO. While you guys were on commercial break, Jordan Gross was face down on the ground, and he wasn't moving at all. I think he heard his mama calling him. Jeff Otah didn't look too bad, just had the wind knocked out of him and he limped off on his own power. He should be fine. I didn't even know that Jake Delhomme was injured so it couldn't be that bad with him.

I'm glad I went to the game today. I have a new respect for Panther fans that I've never had before. They're just like everyone else in the circle of football fans. They love their football just like the rest of the 31 cities. That's why we have our team. I don't understand the criticizing that other people throw on them. I also like our coaching staff, including the defensive coordinator. I think we need to seriously stop pointing a finger and screaming at them whenever the team makes a mistake. I'm going to stop whining at them until I start to see consecutive failures by multiple members of a certain part of the team. That is when confusion shows itself, which is the fault of a coach somewhere in the pecking order.

By the way, here's a newsflash for you. We're 3-1. Go Panthers!

-Revshawn

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 28, 2008 8:02:28 PM

Procton? Where you at? Care to comment on Peppers today?

Posted by: Procton?? | Sep 28, 2008 8:03:08 PM

Peppers - I love him, he is my hero. And H. Taylor had a sack - he's the speed rusher I told everybody about coming out of UNC. I love these UNC guys! And Goings and I are still dating BTW....

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 28, 2008 8:06:06 PM

Where were all the grey seats after halftime on the sunny side?, they never returned.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 28, 2008 9:22:06 PM

They were still there, though I saw them all start to dissappear when it became two scores of a lead. Talk about loyal fans.

Also, I remembered the play I didn't like. It was the roughing the passer penalty that was bullshit. He had a full head of steam and hit Ryan the moment the threw the ball. They were trying to screw us!

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 28, 2008 9:38:29 PM

He as in Peppers and They as in the refs. I don't see how that can be roughing the passer when a week ago Jake gets laid out by a Viking and they look the other way.

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 28, 2008 9:40:54 PM

i just got black flagged by some new system .the only thing i said that was remotely off color was that atlanta sucked. welcome to a brave new world you nazi persinger. book burnings at 10 ish.dont be late.

Posted by: ray | Sep 28, 2008 9:50:12 PM

No, not Hoover. It was Goings, AGAIN

Posted by: Henry | Sep 28, 2008 9:59:38 PM

I think the 85-south chant in the 3rd qtr. was outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: harrydogg | Sep 30, 2008 2:11:52 PM