« Notes from Wednesday ... | Main | Rivers remembers Peppers from college days »

September 03, 2008

QB Moore fractures fibula

Backup quarterback Matt Moore reinjured his left leg in practice today, suffering a fractured fibula, and will be sidelined indefinitely.

Moore will remain on the active roster and is officially listed as "week to week." The Panthers re-signed Brett Basanez to the practice squad and released defensive end Angelo Craig.

General manager Marty Hurney said Moore had two x-rays and an MRI done after he injured his leg in last Thurday's exhibition finale at Pittsburgh. However, Hurney said Moore threw passes in practice today and felt a pop in his leg. New x-rays showed the fracture.

Hurney said he did not think Moore was allowed to return to practice too quickly.

"Mat went out to practice today and we thought he'd be ready," said Hurney. "Obviously, we want him to get well and get (him) back."

The Panthers acquired significant insurance at the quarterback position this week when they traded a seventh-round pick to Miami for veteran Josh McCown, who will back up starter Jake Delhomme.

With Moore injured, the Panthers are likely to have only the two healthy quarterbacks available for Sunday's game. Practice squad players are not on the active roster and are not eligible to play in games.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on September 3, 2008 at 05:03 PM | Permalink

Comments

Gee Hurney, based on the fractured fibula I would say you DID rush him back to practice too soon. Good thing we got Josh McCown when we did, teams would have driven the price up on us for a backup QB if we tried to trade for one now. Hopefully McCown is a quick learner.

Posted by: DB | Sep 3, 2008 5:26:52 PM

NOOOOOOO!

poor Matt.. hope he gets better... but at least we have better QB options than CARR (and a 44 year old who did awesome-ly compared to Carr).

Perhaps Bazanez can step up and be better than Moore was last year,(IF NEEDED).

nonetheless GO Jake, and please STAY HEALTHY

Posted by: voice of reason | Sep 3, 2008 5:27:38 PM

LOL, we called this last week this is the start of the "FOX IR" report. I just won $100 bucks!

Posted by: Roger | Sep 3, 2008 5:56:29 PM

OMG

Posted by: jake the snake | Sep 3, 2008 5:57:08 PM

I mean we all know this season's a lost cause if Delhomme gets hurt again, but a developmental guy like Moore needs all the reps he can get in practice and this injury will set him back a bit. The Basanez fans must be happy though, he's getting one more chance to prove himself now.

Posted by: DB | Sep 3, 2008 6:02:05 PM

Posted by: Roger | Sep 3, 2008 6:06:14 PM

I smell something funny. Smells like B.S. to me. Just like ol' Basanez last year and his "injured wrist" at the end of training camp. Sounds to me like they only wanted to carry two QB's this year.

Posted by: GGrrrr | Sep 3, 2008 6:09:31 PM

Somebody forgot to "knock on wood" when they posted that earlier blog entry about "Panthers looking healthy for opener..." didn't they? Oh well. I guess those folks who really wanted to see Basanez hang around got their wish after all. ;-)

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 3, 2008 6:10:10 PM

Yes K7roger, you were right.

Posted by: GGrrrr | Sep 3, 2008 6:10:30 PM

Undetected hairline fracture. Nice. I figured it couldn't be a bruise, since that's not where he got hit. This is probably a 4-5 week injury, since it's non-weight bearing and no ligament damage.

Posted by: Authority | Sep 3, 2008 6:11:49 PM

personally I liked Brett...and felt he was in our system much longer than Matt...if Brett didn't get hurt last year...we would've cut Matt this summer...just my 2 cents...lucky guy

Posted by: Clayton | Sep 3, 2008 6:24:52 PM

7th round pick! Wow. What a steal. Good info thrown in there.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 3, 2008 6:48:42 PM

Matt "Gimme Some" Moore is our QB for the future. I guarantee you if Delhomme goes down, there will be a "We Want Moore" chant in BoA Stadium just like all games last year post-Jake except the last 3 games.

Posted by: bbbbb | Sep 3, 2008 7:18:31 PM

Basanez will have nerves of steel having put up with this roller coaster. Best of luck to Bas.

Posted by: Dr. F. L. | Sep 3, 2008 7:37:48 PM

Interestingly, Baz suffered a broken fibula once during his college career at Northwestern. He returned to action as a starter in about two or three weeks. Although he could play because it is not a weight-bearing bone, it apparently can be quite painful to play with the injury. Baz toughed it out and played well.

As both a Northwestern alum and a Panthers fan, my personal opinion is that Baz has never been given a fair shot with the Panthers because of his lack of height and relative arm strength. The guy is a gamer.

Posted by: HawkCat | Sep 3, 2008 8:25:58 PM

Chris Simms is available, remember him Panther fans? you nearly killed him 2 years ago.

Posted by: Mel | Sep 3, 2008 8:45:33 PM

I agree. I'd rather have signed Chris Simms than McCown anyways. Why not have both?

Posted by: martymcflyy | Sep 3, 2008 9:09:59 PM

Posted by: martymcflyy | Sep 3, 2008 9:10:20 PM

My spleen is still broke.. please leave me be, Panthers. =(

Posted by: Chrissy Simms | Sep 3, 2008 9:28:23 PM

Put me in coach...I still can play. I have a one way ticket to Charlotte already paid for. I still have legs and a good arm. I think I can...I think I can...

Posted by: Vinny T | Sep 3, 2008 9:28:39 PM

Good org. moves to keep all qb's and bring in experience. I hate it for Moore, but hey, "it is what it is"

Posted by: Local | Sep 3, 2008 9:39:19 PM

somebody messed up big time.if they didnt do an m.r.i on moores leg some heads should roll.the drs an idiot.

Posted by: ray | Sep 3, 2008 9:45:23 PM

OH NO! What will we ever do without the best QB on the roster?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 3, 2008 9:48:32 PM

Sorry to hear about Moore. Fox and Hurney look pretty darn smart for having picked up McCown. If we do pickup another QB - Ya gotta like how big ol' Jared Lorenzen who was cut by Indy earlier in the week looked late in that first preseason game against us, plus we could rotate him into the O line.

Posted by: PZ3lb | Sep 3, 2008 10:01:29 PM

OH NO! What would we ever do without a smart-ass comment from our resident Moore hater/Carr lover?

Posted by: DB | Sep 3, 2008 10:12:46 PM