« QB Moore fractures fibula | Main | Moore discusses his injury »

September 04, 2008

Rivers remembers Peppers from college days

San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers hasn’t played against Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers since Sept. 29, 2001, when Rivers was under center for N.C. State and Peppers was coming off the edge for North Carolina.

The Tar Heels won that game 17-9 in Chapel Hill, as Peppers helped hold the Wolfpack to a season-low 52 rushing yards and had three tackles. He and a teammate combined for a sack that produced a key fourth-quarter fumble.

Rivers, who will see Peppers again Sunday in San Diego, said he remembered that game well.
“What I thought of him then, I kind of have the same thoughts of him now,” he said on this week’s conference call. “He’s obviously a dangerous, dangerous player, a game-changer.

“I think he’s had a solid preseason. Obviously the play that sticks out was against the Washington Redskins; he had a sack/fumble recovery over there on Chris Samuels, who’s been one of the top tackles in the league for a long time.

“He’s obviously a guy you’ve got to keep an eye on and obviously one of the top, if not the top, players in that defense. It’s always fun playing guys you played against in college; hopefully, I don’t get to see him up too close.”

Rivers has become a solid NFL quarterback over the past two seasons after sitting for most of 2004 and 2005. He’ll see Peppers just as he saw him in college, because Peppers has been moved back to right defensive end this season for the first time since his UNC days.

—Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on September 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

Comments

That is, until he slows down halfway through the season like he did last year. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 4, 2008 11:45:41 AM

Let's hope it's just like old times... ;-)

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 4, 2008 11:47:21 AM

...meaning, like the last time he and Rivers faced one another. Not like Peppers performance last year.

Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 4, 2008 11:48:24 AM

Yup! I concur definately. They say he trained with a personal trainer on the top of some mountain in Michigan. He must have sought Chuck Norris to show him the way of ass kickery.

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 4, 2008 11:53:00 AM

I'm a pack fan and I like Rivers but I will want to see him on his rear end all through the game. Time's up, he graduated. New team, new season. I hope that we turn in a good performance Sunday, Carolina needs some self-esteem going into the season and a win over the Chargers could honestly do that for them.

Posted by: Trey Griffin | Sep 4, 2008 12:52:32 PM

JP is going down hill...started from mid last season. Even a backup LT can stop him. Watch this Sunday game!

Posted by: San City | Sep 4, 2008 1:27:33 PM

Posted by: San City | Sep 4, 2008 1:28:51 PM

San City, no one calls him JP. Your just dumb, watch and learn

Posted by: bb | Sep 4, 2008 1:43:30 PM

San City. We are obviously Panther fans, or at least football fans. Why do you feel it necessary to tell us to watch the game?
And I agree with you on one point. JP will definitely be going down hill this season. All 6'7" of him. Onto Philip Rivers, etc.

Posted by: Roger | Sep 4, 2008 1:43:51 PM

I agree with everyone and I shall jump onto the so-called 'JP' banwagon. Everyone is entitled to a down year. Julius Peppers is no different. He will get at least 2 sacks during the game, mark my words. Might even make poor LT end his career early. One good pimpslap will make him think twice about running around the right side of our D-Line

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 4, 2008 3:52:35 PM

San City,
Please crawl back under the rock from which you came from....even someone who has no football IQ can clearly see the differene in Peppers this year from last. And all you experts, before you start, spare me the argument "it was just preseason". IF any of you had played any type of organized sport you would know that you play to win no matter what..preseason, scrimmage, backyard ball, etc. 1st string against 1st string, our defense looked good and Peppers clearly has stepped up his game. All the naysayers, hit me back up when/if he doesn't perform this year. I have a feeling you will/must be silent.

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Sep 4, 2008 6:57:14 PM

Julius Peppers has NEVER consistently "played to win." That's why he gives up on plays constantly when his first move gets shut down and he goes invisible for weeks at a time.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 4, 2008 8:44:00 PM

Procton, thats a load of crap. Pep obviously had something wrong with him last season. Not sure what it was and I doubt we ever will, but there was some type of problem. Also he didn't drop off mid-season, he stunk pre-season through end of season. One possibility is Fox trying to make him be a vocal team leader.

Posted by: heelzrule | Sep 4, 2008 11:43:31 PM

Absolutely...and THAT'S the guy who we should make one of the highest paid players in the NFL. A guy who's scared to lead his teammates. Jon Beason apparently gave one of the best speeches most of the team had ever heard last year, and he was a 22-YEAR OLD ROOKIE! THAT'S leadership. THAT'S the guy who deserves big bucks. Not The Disappearing Pep.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 5, 2008 10:14:37 AM

He's a role player Procton, nothing wrong with being a good soldier, everyone can't be general. He can be a captain and a leader on defense and still be valuable to this team.

Posted by: ripp | Sep 5, 2008 10:57:45 AM

"Good soldiers" don't quit in the battlefield if their first maneuver doesn't work. Peppers does.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 5, 2008 1:24:54 PM

MP,
You're right....what was I thinking? You clearly know the heart and mind of Julius Peppers. You must admire him more than you are willing to admit since you obviously watch him on EVERY defensive play to SEE when he "quits". Please define "quit" for me. Is it when 2 or 3 players are blocking him and the run is on the other side of the field and he doesn't get the tackle? Is it when 2 blockers keep him from the QB and he doesn't run the QB down after he has thrown the ball? Okay, may not be 2 or 3, but sometimes one player. Hell, you are right, if he didn't quit then we could possibly only play him on the line and stack the LBs and CBs. Please tell me how you justify that he quits?

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Sep 5, 2008 5:53:49 PM

No, CW...quitting is when he's matched up one-on-one against a decent tackle like Andrew Whitworth of the Bengals or Jon Stinchcomb of the Saints or hell, even Todd Weiner of the Falcons. That's when he tries one move, gets stonewalled, and then just watches the play develop beside him. If you don't see it, you must not be watching ANY plays.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 6, 2008 12:11:26 AM

hmmmm, you must have HDTV? I don't see it on my TV. Let's agree to disagree and see what this year brings. I predict Julius will have a great year..10-12 sacks. You might be eating crow at the end of the season with your observations though. By the way, did he quit when he pushed the Redskins' Samuels into the QB making him look like he was on ice? I believe Samuels is a better OL than the 3 you listed above. Yeah, it was just preseason...doesn't count. Less than 24 hours for showtime! Can't wait!

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Sep 6, 2008 6:24:30 PM